New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 245152)

Removing Paint On Bride of Pinbot’s Helmet

By Pinball-DOOD

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pinball-DOOD
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

065292F4-3234-412D-8859-EB34FFFD2B85 (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

Hey all!

I had always noticed on my Williams 1991 Bride of Pinbot that her helmet has been coated with a dull silver spray paint and underneath is the original glossy chrome color. I’d like to remove the silver paint without removing the original chrome finish. I was wondering your all’s recommendations for doing so? Thanks! Attached below is a picture of the helmet, it is apparent that someone spray painted over the original finish:

065292F4-3234-412D-8859-EB34FFFD2B85 (resized).jpeg
    #2 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

Hey all!
    I had always noticed on my Williams 1991 Bride of Pinbot that her helmet has been coated with a dull silver spray paint and underneath is the original glossy chrome color. I’d like to remove the silver paint without removing the original chrome finish. I was wondering your all’s recommendations for doing so? Thanks! Attached below is a picture of the helmet, it is apparent that someone spray painted over the original finish:[quoted image]

Not possible - its just plastic - would be different if it was metal. Just buy a new one, they are out there if you want the original chrome.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from wamonkey:

Not possible - its just plastic - would be different if it was metal. Just buy a new one, they are out there if you want the original chrome.

Ah, I figured. Thanks for the response.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from wamonkey:

Where? Been looking for one

#5 1 year ago

Mate there is good quality spray paint available that finishes ok for the price of the can it's worth a shot

#6 1 year ago

Larry at Starship Fantasy owns the molds. I thought he had one the last I checked? https://www.starship-fantasy.com

Edit: it is out of stock right now, but he is the source for a factory original tool reproduction.

#7 1 year ago

Mine had the same thing, someone sprayed a flat silver over it. I just sprayed a glossy chrome over top of that and it looks great!

#8 1 year ago

Yup, the original just had chrome paint on them. It tends to get scratched up over the years. You can restore them, but it is a bit labor intensive. I did one last year. It turned out ok.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restoring-a-bride-of-pinbot-helmet

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Edit: it is out of stock right now, but he is the source for a factory original tool reproduction.

It's been out of stock for quite some time, unfortunately.

I got my BOP over 3 years ago, and I don't think I've seen any new ones available during that time.

#10 1 year ago

I went to the best chrome spray, but wanted even more, so I used a spray silver glitter...Im happy with results, but still woould prefer original chrome.

#11 1 year ago

Thanks for all the responses! I may try spray painting a new layer of chrome in attempt to match the original. Any recommended paints? Thanks!

#13 1 year ago

I found a guy who chrome's classic auto dash parts, and did a beautiful job on 2 of these for me, better than new, about same price (if they ever do these again, he's been saying they are a few months out for years).
    Chrometech.

#14 1 year ago

I saw this technique a while back, and it looked interesting.

1 week later
    #15 1 year ago

All of those are great techniques! May just use the spray paint! Couldn’t hurt

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 89.00
    Boards
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 334.95
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    SilverBall Designs
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 24.99
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bent Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 39.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 18.95
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 5,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 999.00
    $ 89.99
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 12.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 14.95
    $ 265.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside