8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Pinball-DOOD
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

065292F4-3234-412D-8859-EB34FFFD2B85 (resized).jpeg

#1 8 months ago

Hey all!

I had always noticed on my Williams 1991 Bride of Pinbot that her helmet has been coated with a dull silver spray paint and underneath is the original glossy chrome color. I’d like to remove the silver paint without removing the original chrome finish. I was wondering your all’s recommendations for doing so? Thanks! Attached below is a picture of the helmet, it is apparent that someone spray painted over the original finish:

065292F4-3234-412D-8859-EB34FFFD2B85 (resized).jpeg
    #2 8 months ago
    Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

Hey all!
    I had always noticed on my Williams 1991 Bride of Pinbot that her helmet has been coated with a dull silver spray paint and underneath is the original glossy chrome color. I’d like to remove the silver paint without removing the original chrome finish. I was wondering your all’s recommendations for doing so? Thanks! Attached below is a picture of the helmet, it is apparent that someone spray painted over the original finish:[quoted image]

Not possible - its just plastic - would be different if it was metal. Just buy a new one, they are out there if you want the original chrome.

#3 8 months ago
    Quoted from wamonkey:

Not possible - its just plastic - would be different if it was metal. Just buy a new one, they are out there if you want the original chrome.

Ah, I figured. Thanks for the response.

#4 8 months ago
    Quoted from wamonkey:

Where? Been looking for one

#5 8 months ago

Mate there is good quality spray paint available that finishes ok for the price of the can it's worth a shot

#6 8 months ago

Larry at Starship Fantasy owns the molds. I thought he had one the last I checked? https://www.starship-fantasy.com

Edit: it is out of stock right now, but he is the source for a factory original tool reproduction.

#7 8 months ago

Mine had the same thing, someone sprayed a flat silver over it. I just sprayed a glossy chrome over top of that and it looks great!

#8 8 months ago

Yup, the original just had chrome paint on them. It tends to get scratched up over the years. You can restore them, but it is a bit labor intensive. I did one last year. It turned out ok.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restoring-a-bride-of-pinbot-helmet

#9 8 months ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Edit: it is out of stock right now, but he is the source for a factory original tool reproduction.

It's been out of stock for quite some time, unfortunately.

I got my BOP over 3 years ago, and I don't think I've seen any new ones available during that time.

#10 8 months ago

I went to the best chrome spray, but wanted even more, so I used a spray silver glitter...Im happy with results, but still woould prefer original chrome.

#11 8 months ago

Thanks for all the responses! I may try spray painting a new layer of chrome in attempt to match the original. Any recommended paints? Thanks!

#13 8 months ago

I found a guy who chrome's classic auto dash parts, and did a beautiful job on 2 of these for me, better than new, about same price (if they ever do these again, he's been saying they are a few months out for years).
    Chrometech.

#14 8 months ago

I saw this technique a while back, and it looked interesting.

1 week later
    #15 8 months ago

All of those are great techniques! May just use the spray paint! Couldn’t hurt

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 109.99
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 87.00
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Arizona Pinball
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 165.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 259.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Decals
    COINTAKER.COM
    Hardware
    Pinball Haus
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 26.95
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside