4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Hougie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

200w_d.gif
    200w_d (1).gif
    balls2.jpg
    balls1.jpg

#1 4 years ago

I ordered some pinballs from somewhere other than the usual PinballLife, and they came covered with oil.

I guess it's to reduce oxidation, but how do I remove the oil so I don't damage the balls or lube up my playfield?

#2 4 years ago

I use a microfiber cloth and just wipe them off thoroughly with it.

#3 4 years ago

wipe it on your shirt

#4 4 years ago

Suck on 'em

#5 4 years ago

I use dawn dish soap and wipe them dry.

#6 4 years ago

Lighter fluid and a rag. Then polish with either chrome polish or Brasso.

#7 4 years ago

Windex or novus 2 and a rag works for me.

#8 4 years ago

Oh for god's sake...is it really that hard to say that it's Marco Silverjets? I ordered 2 packs of these things, was a little surprised to see the oil in there, quite a bit more than what would actually be needed really....like you could open the end of the tube and drip some out? Blecch. Thankfully the packaging is not leaky. Didn't realize they were magnet sensitive, oops. Guess those won't be going in Metallica or Johnny.

#9 4 years ago

Novus 2 or Millwax

#10 4 years ago

409, Windex. Not rocket science. Clean them, dry them, put in game.

LTG : )™

#11 4 years ago

I just wiped them w/ a towel.

#12 4 years ago

Nifty LED sells sleeves of pinballs and they're oiled. I much prefer that, as sometimes I stock up and leave them stored for a while.

#13 4 years ago

I threw em as-is in my mustang pin with the oil, game is nice and slick now!

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from robotron:

I threw em as-is in my mustang pin with the oil, game is nice and slick now!

It's more authentic to have oil everywhere, just like it leaked from the Mustang. Lol

#15 4 years ago

Use the Ben-Wah technique.

#16 4 years ago

I didn't expect this big of a response.

LTG - I strayed from Formula 409 or other all purpose/stainless steel cleaners because of the thought that pinballs are carbon steel, not stainless, (might not be thermodynamics, but it is coordination chemistry!) and that would just cause them to rust, right? I think the first ingredient is water.

Isopropyl Alcohol is chemically compatible and cheap though, I think I have some of that around, and that should be miscible with the oil. But it sounds like just wiping them off then polishing them is the easiest way to go. Or fire!

Heck, maybe I'll try each of these suggestions and report back.

Also I don't think they're silverjets Frax. I don't ever order silverjets, even for machines without magnets. I'd rather never risk getting silverjets mixed in with my regular balls and find out when I have them magnetize mid game.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

This doesn't work for guys though. If you try it, your x-ray will show up on Look-What-Came-Into-The-ER-Today.com.

#18 4 years ago

Maybe Brakleen? Works awesome for removing oil from automotive and engine parts...

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from seven:

This doesn't work for guys though. If you try it, your x-ray will show up on Look-What-Came-Into-The-ER-Today.com.

Now that is f***ing funny

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jakenjoi:

Also I don't think they're silverjets Frax.

Apparently there's someone else shipping balls with lube as well...thought Marco was the only one doing it, but guess not.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Apparently there's someone else shipping balls with lube as well...thought Marco was the only one doing it, but guess not.

There is a dirty joke in here somewhere. I just haven't had enough coffee today to find it.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from seven:

There is a dirty joke in here somewhere. I just haven't had enough coffee today to find it.

That's okay, my lubed balls from Marco included a complimentary hair slipped in the tube as well.

#23 4 years ago

wipe them dry then wax them with a different rag is all I do. still debating about shaving them..

#24 4 years ago

There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum - It's breathtaking ... I suggest you try it.

#25 4 years ago

You can use 409, or any similar cleaner if you want. You're just getting the oil off and the wiping them dry. It's not like they're sitting in the cleaner so they're not going to rust from a few moments contact with the cleaner.

I use novus 2 and then wipe them dry with a rag.

Dave

#26 4 years ago

91 proof isopropyl rubbing alcohol is what works best for us. With making the black pearls we use it all the time.

#27 4 years ago

Wipe them on the drapes .

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

But then they're covered with something else aren't they?

1 month later
    #29 4 years ago

You wife should lick em clean

#30 4 years ago

The labels give the instructions. Balls should be packed in a light oil to prevent rust in storage and should never be handled for the longest life.

balls1.jpg

balls2.jpg

#31 4 years ago

How is this a serious question?

#32 4 years ago

The order is important!
    200w_d (1).gif200w_d.gif

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinfarmer Mods
    $ 92.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.04
    Playfield - Plastics
    F14 Tomcat Slingshots Out of stock
    Pinball-Mods.com
    Electronics
    TheDudeMods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 89.99
    $ 24.00
    Various Other Swag
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 235.00
    Boards
    RS Technologies
    $ 9,099.00
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 2.50
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 69.00
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside