Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by TimeWarp1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I'm thinking of removing the mylar in front of the slingshots. Has anyone done this on a GNR without removing ANY artwork??

#2 8 years ago

Unless it's peeling or bubbling, strongly consider letting the Mylar do it's job; protecting the playfield.

#3 8 years ago

Have you ever removed factory mylar shields from a playfield before?
If you have not, doing practice on an original playfield is not a good idea.

The ones around pop bumpers, slingshots, high traffic orbits are there for a reason, and sometimes the glue adhesive has been sealed to the the clearcoat for a VERY LONG time.
On non-clearcoated playfields its almost always a disaster.
It takes a LOT of patience, heat cycling, goo gone and sometimes even nalpha.
If you rush which many do (or even if you don't) disaster can still strike.

*Danger* Will Robinson! *Danger*!

#4 8 years ago

Freezing works good but I agree with the others leave it be

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

I'm thinking of removing the mylar in front of the slingshots. Has anyone done this on a GNR without removing ANY artwork??

I removed all the Mylar from my gnr. I used the freeze method. Worked great.
However, I have had issues with other Mylar on other games. just because it came off flawlessly on mine, doesn't mean it will on yours. I'm not an expert but I'm thinking the environmental conditions the game has been in over the pat 20 years may be a factor of how well the Mylar and glue comes off.

#6 8 years ago

I use industrial strength Citrus D , big undertaking but patience is the most valuable factor... Have done 3 non diamond coated playfields with this method , and no other playfield damage!

1 month later
#7 8 years ago

I just removed mylar from a Bally 6MDM in preparation for extreme touch-ups and eventual clear. Mylar consisted of two sling moons and two pop bumper rings. I wouldn't wish the removal process on my worst enemy. Canned air to freeze the the mylar plastic off first...it peeled right up and didn't take any paint. I then soaked the area with Goo Gone, covered with a paper towel and let it sit for a half hour before adding some flour on top. Persistence was key after that point. A credit card/gift card worked to scrape off the goo in some areas, loosen it more than anything, but I found that harshly rubbing my finger over the area helped roll the goo/flour mixture off a lot better. I had callused fingers that were numb for hours, but it came off! Set aside an evening to do it. I don't envy doing Sys11 games or later....good luck! Many of my games from that era have original mylar that have seen better days...and I think they'll stay that way.

#8 8 years ago

I left the slingshot semicircles on my WWF. They are not that noticeable to me and you can buff them to pretty nice shine if you are going to clean the PF.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

I just removed mylar from a Bally 6MDM in preparation for extreme touch-ups and eventual clear. Mylar consisted of two sling moons and two pop bumper rings. I wouldn't wish the removal process on my worst enemy. Canned air to freeze the the mylar plastic off first...it peeled right up and didn't take any paint. I then soaked the area with Goo Gone, covered with a paper towel and let it sit for a half hour before adding some flour on top. Persistence was key after that point. A credit card/gift card worked to scrape off the goo in some areas, loosen it more than anything, but I found that harshly rubbing my finger over the area helped roll the goo/flour mixture off a lot better. I had callused fingers that were numb for hours, but it came off! Set aside an evening to do it. I don't envy doing Sys11 games or later....good luck! Many of my games from that era have original mylar that have seen better days...and I think they'll stay that way.

I find this method very effective. After using freeze spray to remove the mylar I first get a small bowl with a little flour in it, dab my finger in it and pat the glue as flour readily sticks to the leftover mylar glue. After that's all patted down with flour I pat in some goo gone spray gel and let that sit for a few minutes. Pat on another layer of flour and starting rubbing it with a finger and the glue combines nicely with the flour and is easily vacuumed up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Franklin Square, NY
$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, MA
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-mylar-question-on-my-gnr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.