(Topic ID: 271628)

Removing metal trim from the bottom of the back glass.

By Silverstreak02

7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by EMsInKC
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

B4F1B132-DFDC-42FB-AEFE-29480A9DF720 (resized).jpeg

#1 7 months ago

I would like to remove the metal trim that is attached to the bottom of my Space Mission back glass. I need to straighten it and give it a good polish. How do I get it off the glass without breaking anything?

B4F1B132-DFDC-42FB-AEFE-29480A9DF720 (resized).jpeg
#2 7 months ago
Quoted from Silverstreak02:

I would like to remove the metal trim that is attached to the bottom of my Space Mission back glass. I need to straighten it and give it a good polish. How do I get it off the glass without breaking anything?
[quoted image]

Put an old towel on a table and then lay the glass face down with the lift trim hanging off the edge. Start on one side by simply pulling until it begins to move. Just go slow. Eventually you’ll win the battle. It has been stuck on there for a few decades. After one side begins to give start working on the other.

#3 7 months ago

I use a block of soft wood like pine and a hammer with a piece of cardboard protecting the glass.

Set the glass player side up, put the cardboard on the glass against the trim, put the wood block near one side of the trim edge and slide the hammer on the cardboard striking the wood.

Slowly work your was across.

#4 7 months ago

I like this method too...

#5 7 months ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

I like this method too...

Pretty much what I'm doing with a wood block.

I keep the glass stationary while he is moving the glass. Don't like rattling the glass against a metal object, tempered glass is a bit unforgiving.

#6 7 months ago

If yours needs straightening, u should get one from Gatecrasher. They are beautiful. U could probably use the 3 U channel pieces too.

#7 7 months ago
Quoted from eagle18:

If yours needs straightening, u should get one from Gatecrasher. They are beautiful. U could probably use the 3 U channel pieces too.

Who is Gatecrasher?

#8 7 months ago

You can find his products in the Biz section.

#9 7 months ago

He’s a Pinsider who makes lift channels. He also sells other restoration parts.

#10 7 months ago

I always lie them face up on a carpeted floor. Use a block of wood and a rubber mallet. Start at one end. Once the end comes off the rest usually comes off pretty easily.

#11 7 months ago

Goo gone is helpful for loosening friction tape that's in place.

Whenever you take off a lift channel, there's a risk of paint damage.

#12 7 months ago

What is used to put it back on?

#13 7 months ago

Friction tape is what I use.

#14 7 months ago

Suspend it upside down from the lift channel an inch or so from the carpet. Let gravity do the rest

#15 7 months ago

I've done over a dozen without an issue. If the ink is sold, triple thick it after taping off the bottom edge and avoid putting too much on the bottom edge. You don't want a seal from the trim to BG. Lay backglass on a soft towel face up. I use a solid piece of oak 1"x1", laying it on the glass. Gentle taps with a plastic hammer will work the lift trim off. I lay the hammer directly on the glass and use the glass surface to hammer the trim. Lots of gentle taps will free it up. Get some friction tape from Home Depot, and new trim from Gatecrasher. Lay the friction tape into the new lift channel in three 2" sections. Test fit the lift trim. It usually takes 2 layers of tape for a snug fit. Use the plastic hammer gently to snug it up.

#16 7 months ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Suspend it upside down from the lift channel an inch or so from the carpet. Let gravity do the rest

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 6.00
$ 39.95
Electronics
Docent Electronics
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 125.00
$ 150.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Great American Pinball
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet Parts
Gameroom Mods
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 109.99
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 259.99
Pinball Machine
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop
$ 7.00
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
ArcadeArts
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside