(Topic ID: 207570)

Removing metal posts without removing playfield ink?

By jibmums

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

So on the few games I've shopped out so far, all unrestored early to mid 80's pins which were non-diamondplate and non-clearcoated, there are metal posts like the mini-post between the flippers, cylindrical metal posts which take a black or yellow sleeve, and similar. They're always tightened down quite tight from the factory and almost every time, when removing them to shop out a game, the playfield ink sticks to the bottom of the posts rather than the wood of the playfield. Worse than that, sometimes the ink that sticks will take a chunk of ink that was next to the post along with it. It's getting so I'm afraid to remove these posts and risk tearing up the ink, is there a way around this? I'm about to shop out a Pinbot with a super nice original playfield and I can't go further without removing them.

#2 6 years ago

Run an exacto knife around the base. You may take up the footprint but the rest should remain.

#3 6 years ago

You can take a razor blade from a scraper or utility knife and gently push it under the sleeve until it meets the post. Do this from several angles and then the sleeve will no longer be stuck to the paint.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-metal-posts-without-removing-playfield-ink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.