Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by NYP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190428_082542 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Trying to install thumb locks on my coin doors. Most of them are a royal pain getting off. Is there some trick to this that I'm not getting?
    Even some without that locking washer aren't budging.
    20190428_082542 (resized).jpg20190428_082542 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

I assume you’re talking about the screw? Maybe a little penetrating oil but I’d worry about it dripping on the electronics. Maybe take the whole cylinder body off the door and hit with the oil or just change the whole mech?

#3 4 years ago

Take off the latch first the a screwdriver and then use a deep socket to take the lock out. I think its 13/16 inch or something like that.

#4 4 years ago

That looks brand-new... should come right off.

#5 4 years ago

The screw should be no problem. In my experience it is difficult to overly tension them. If its the nut I find a tube spanner works best.

#6 4 years ago

Might have to try a deep socket. Vice grips aren't working great.

(My post was referring to the nut. The screw is no issue)

#7 4 years ago

How about channel locks? You should still be able to get a good grip even if nut is set back behind door lip and you get good leverage from length of the tool

#8 4 years ago

Tube spanner looks like the tool. Thanks for the tip. Should be able to get good torquage from that.

#9 4 years ago

7/8" deep socket. Was probably put on with an air gun at the factory so apply firm pressure. Vice grips can wear away the nut's edges so use cautiously as it can render the socket ineffective.

#10 4 years ago

Deep set socket is the best way! I've removed all of mine!!! For HUO those are a pain the the butt!!!

#11 4 years ago

Roger. Off to get the proper tool.

#12 4 years ago

Just finished all of them. Amazing what the proper tool can do.

#13 4 years ago

Those Happ Controls locks are put on super tight at the factory. I use a 7/8" deep well socket and they come right off.

#14 4 years ago

Locks on stern machines seem to be installed by jackhammer, I use a socket wrench, but even with that sometimes I feel like I'm going to rip it off it's hinges....

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-locks?hl=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.