(Topic ID: 13207)

Removing locked connector./.

By Blackbeard

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

So I redid a male header with one with a locking tab. Now, I can't pull the damn connector off the board without breaking those little locking tabs. (note to self buy non-locking header pins).

Anyway, does anyone have a suggestion if I need to pull off the connector? It's really tight and I don't want to jar the joints behind it..

#2 12 years ago

I have had the same problem on computer motherboards. You can leverage the tab up with a very small flat head screwdriver. Works for me.

#3 12 years ago

Sorry to be crass, but F those locking tabs!

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Sorry to be crass, but F those locking tabs!

If you apply some pressure on those tabs they should unlock and the connector should come off.

#5 12 years ago

Pressure how? Just by pulling?

#6 12 years ago

Find a tiny screwdriver and wedge it bewtween the lock and the tab. Twist it to the side to give it some wiggle room and work the connector off. Once it's off, cut the lock tabs.

#7 12 years ago

I've never had any lock *that* tight! Should take a little force to unmate them, sure, but not enough to damage anything.

1 year later
    #8 10 years ago

I came here looking for help because I just did the same thing and snapped off a tab. These connectors have a lot of tabs holding them on when the connector is 2" long, and I can't seem to get a screwdriver under all of them at once. This means starting at one end and NOT pulling the connector straight off, but at an angle. Isn't that harmful as well?

I'm trying to be gentle, and I don't want to snap them all off.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from CanadianGamer:

I came here looking for help because I just did the same thing and snapped off a tab. These connectors have a lot of tabs holding them on when the connector is 2" long, and I can't seem to get a screwdriver under all of them at once. This means starting at one end and NOT pulling the connector straight off, but at an angle. Isn't that harmful as well?
    I'm trying to be gentle, and I don't want to snap them all off.

Slide a credit card in there then pull out on the connector.

I have strong hands so I just grab the sides and wiggle side to side as I pull out and they come right off.

#10 10 years ago

Thanks tracelifter, love the name btw, lol.

Yes, I have strong hands as well but that's usually what gets me in trouble so I try to be delicate. After trying to hold them out with a putty knife I found it wasn't necessary at all and just grabbed them with two hands and pulled. There was no need to hold the tabs out on any of the connectors, and I didn't snap any more of them.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from CanadianGamer:

Thanks tracelifter, love the name btw, lol.
    Yes, I have strong hands as well but that's usually what gets me in trouble so I try to be delicate. After trying to hold them out with a putty knife I found it wasn't necessary at all and just grabbed them with two hands and pulled. There was no need to hold the tabs out on any of the connectors, and I didn't snap any more of them.

There is kind of a trick to it, after you pull enough boards it is no big deal but the first time you are sure you are going to break something.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-locked-connector and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.