Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    #1 6 years ago

Someone once painted over the machine. How can I remove the paint and keep the original writing and color.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

Is that for sure laytex? Can you just peel it off?

#3 6 years ago

You can remove it with alcohol and a good rag or sponge. You will have to work at it some but it will come off.

#4 6 years ago

The original decals on that lower apron are delicate. You could try soaking the Apron in hot to warm water, or running hot water across it. Not sure if this will work, but anything stronger than water will remove the original decals. Any scrubbing will remove the original decals.

#5 6 years ago

You may have to resort to this: http://www.pinballrescue.net/Decals_Apron_Gottlieb.html

The paint on the apron is very thin and fairly delicate.

You can try baking the apron in the sun on a warm day. You might be able to then just peel the latex paint off. But--it might also take some of the original paint along with it. But, it might be safer to do this rather than using solvents and rubbing.

#6 6 years ago

I guess I'm not sure if it's latex paint. How do you tell? And what if it's not? I will try your suggestions and be careful. I do want to save the decals below.
    Thanks for the link on decals.

#7 6 years ago

Well, they discontinued making decals for Williams. So I took some graffiti removal and was able to remove some paint and make somewhat of a mess, but it will have to do.
    Thanks everyone for the ideas.

#8 6 years ago

For a last ditch effort. you could try "cheap" oven cleaner. Try a spot, watch it carefully, it might start to bubble the top layer. Then wipe it off and rinse with water.

"Also not even sure if this will work,, not even sure if it will damage the factory surface".

#9 6 years ago

Worth a try. Thanks

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bowler:

Well, they discontinued making decals for Williams.

Oh, I misidentified the apron as Gottlieb. Hard to tell with the original artwork covered up.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bowler:

Worth a try. Thanks

Take the apron to a shop sink, get some chemical resistant gloves, or take it outside (to kill some grass), keep a hose handy, when spraying on the oven cleaner, try a small area. I have used cheap oven cleaner to remove enamel paint from plastic, and have been very successful with it. What I'm not sure is what is going to happen to the original paint and decals? The original paint on the apron might of been baked on. Where as on your apron hopefully that white paint was just sprayed on, with out any surface preparation.

Have you tried using a Heat Gun? One problem with using a Heat Gun is that the original paint surface can get scorched, fairly easily.

#12 6 years ago

Take a rag or sponge and soak it in alcohol and rub the paint with it, if it starts to come off it is a latex paint, if not it is some other.

#13 6 years ago

I used gasoline on a rag to get paint off my cabinet. worked great

#14 6 years ago

I used some graffiti remover and it started to work, but started smuging the lettering. So I quit. Figured better to leave it alone.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bowler:

I used some graffiti remover and it started to work, but started smuging the lettering. So I quit. Figured better to leave it alone.

Graffiti removers (such as Motsenbockers) also do remove original paint, so it's not the best approach, especially on an apron with delicate paint. Alcohol would be a better choice if you really had to use something, but I'd try to avoid chemical solvents in this case.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-latex-paint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.