(Topic ID: 317131)

Removing JJP backbox

By mbl1116

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I have a 28” entryway to my gameroom and to this point i can only get Stern (27.75” backbox width) through the door. Theres no trim or anything i can remove to temporarily widen the entryway so 28” is exactly what I’m working with

I plan on getting a new wider door at some point, but in the meantime I’d like to be able to buy a JJP title. In order to do that I’m assuming I’d have to remove the head (29” width) entirely just to get it inside

Has anyone dealt with a similar issue or have any tips/recommendations for how to approach this?

#2 1 year ago

Depends on the game - Hobbit was BY FAR the easiest to remove, as the game computer sits in the cab, and the head is comparatively light.

Pirates and DI heads are VERRRRRY heavy, especially when compared to a Stern or even WMS games. None of them are set up the exact same way.

Mostly you just need to do the usual stuff: find the cables which go down to the playfield, disconnect them, and make sure you take a lot of photos! Most of the cables will be USB or the playfield display (which I think is a DVI cable). Computer stuff for the vast majority.

I remember DI had one cable I had to desolder - might have been the cabinet speaker. But everything else just popped out, and I had taken a lot of photos so it wasn’t hard to figure out what went where. There is also a cable harness obviously, but it is much simpler than a WMS game, fewer wires and fewer connections, and the harness “remembers” it’s shape so stuff pretty much lines up right in place.

Remove cables, stuff any remaining slack up into the head, or into the cabinet as appropriate. lock head upright, remove the bolts in the cabinet hinges, unlock head, remove.

It’s kind of a long process but I’ve got it down to about 20 minutes while patient buyers wrung their hands.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-jjp-backbox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.