Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Batcade
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Batcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hi all,
Trying to remove the pins from the Original IDC housing on the 19 pin J6 housing on the MPU board. The moles versions are obsolete so I am trying to reuse the old housing but I can’t get the pins out, hey are so corroded the wires fell right out so I have no leverage to pull the pins out.

Anyone have any ideas?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Use a scrap piece of .100 header to try and push them out after you bend the tang down. (That's assuming the IDC type have the same slot to press the tang down that the non-IDC ones do)
(I'm assuming this is some kind of .100 connector since you say it's unavailable since the .156's are still available)
A very tiny jeweler's flat blade screwdriver will work as well.

Nope it’s a .156”, the 19 pin and 24 pin are obsolete, can’t get the molex.

I’ve got the pin removal tool and I’ve tried pressing the tang down but it’s difficult to remove the pin without a wire attached to yank it out.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Personally, if it was me, I'd just use 2 12's and a 7+12 housing and call it a day, assuming you can get those. Those things get brittle over time anyways (have had the plastic up by where the cutter part of the pins is snap and fly off so many times..), and IDC is frankly just a junky cheap labor-saving method anyways, that's more prone to failure.
Only reason I'd try to save those outdated housings would be if I was going to have to use 3+ connectors to replace one. That's just too much, and too much risk of someone getting confused with what goes where, even if it's labeled.

I thought about that I just figured they wouldn’t fit right but I may have no choice and see if it will do.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

What game I'm assuming a Gottlieb if they're edge connectors..... toss out what I said and go with the other poster that said you need the extractor tool.
If they're not edge I'd either go with a 20 cut down and sub 2 smaller ones for the 24 but like I said... guessing they're edge connectors I don't think anyone else ever used more than a 20 regular? (Bally and Stern with the displays and rectifier board)

They are edge connectors, its a 19 pin edge connector I'm dealing with now. I have the extractor tool, but the procedure is to typically depress the tang and then pull the wire to pull out the pin... problem is the wire is no longer attached so its quite difficult to actually get that pin out, plus its IDC so its wedged in there pretty good and although I've read a few posts that indicate you can swap them with regular crimp pins, I'm not convinced these things are meant to be removed.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

How about throwing the connector in some hydrochloric acid?

I soaked it in vinegar for a while, and while it removed the corrosion the pins themselves were still brittle and difficult to remove. I made progress, removed 5 out of 19 pins, they are so brittle they end up coming out in pieces.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington Township, NJ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Batcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-idc-pins-help?tu=Batcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.