(Topic ID: 123100)

Removing front legs for leg protector install (1 person)

By DrMark12PA

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by SirScott
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ladder.jpg

#1 9 years ago

Just wondering if anyone has any good suggestions on how to prop up the front of a pinball cabinet for adding some leg protectors using only 1 person without resorting to purchasing some sort of jack or press. I will have to do some drilling so I can't just hold up one corner at a time. I'm not sure what sort of weight is on the front of a typical Stern and don't want to chance just using some plastic crates or something similar to prop it up.

#2 9 years ago

I have used a stool before and seen some people use a small step ladder.

#3 9 years ago

i would use saw horses if i didnt have a proper lift trolley

#4 9 years ago

The front really isn't all that heavy. You can pretty easily get one leg off at a time without supporting it with anything. As long as you aren't doing anything crazy, it will balance on 3 legs and be safe for a quick protector swap. (I would not do this with the back ones though...that's a lot more weight). You might have to push up on the cab a little when you pull it off and put it back on, but it shouldn't be anything too hard to do. Otherwise a bar stool or pretty much anything about that height will do if you do not have a lift cart.

#5 9 years ago

anything that will stabilize and lift the end of the machine higher than the legs will work. a small work table, step ladder.

I know a couple of guys who built a slide in frame out of 2x4's that is just tall enough to allow you to raise the cabinet high enough to remove the legs.

just remember that when putting the legs back on, that you [push] them upwards as far as they will go before tightening down the bolts so that they do not shift when you remove the item keeping them off of the floor.

#6 9 years ago

Excellent suggestions... I was just having trouble figuring out something that would be high enough yet support the weight of the whole front.

#7 9 years ago

Just use your knee and do one leg at a time. It's super easy. If you have another person they can just tilt the machine onto the legs on one side and easily hold it while you do it.

#8 9 years ago

Bar stools are perfect height, I do this all the time.

#9 8 years ago

I'm using those adjustable sawhorses. They can be adjusted to different cab heights and they are foldable for easier storage.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-sawhorse-with-telescopic-legs-0571635p.html#.VR1CWNq9KSM

#10 8 years ago

If you can't find a stool, PVC pipe is really cheap. www.pinballnews.com/learn/pinballjack/

#11 8 years ago

Buy a 2' folding ladder... you'll use it for things around the house too.

#12 8 years ago

This is what I have used over the years:

Step ladder

Bar stool

Saw horse

Pinball dolly

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-front-legs-for-leg-protector-install-1-person and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.