View topic image gallery

Image from iOS (1) (resized).jpg
Image from iOS (2) (resized).jpg
Image from iOS (3) (resized).jpg
Image from iOS (5) (resized).jpg
Image from iOS (6) (resized).jpg
Image from iOS (4) (resized).jpg
Image from iOS (1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider creech927.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I've got a TSPP that looks like it spent most of it's life in an ashtray in a cigar lounge. I'm trying to prepare the cabinet surfaces for the new decals I've purchased and have a few questions about surface prep.

I've used a heat gun to remove the old decals from the cabinet, which has left me a mostly smooth, non sticky surface. I gave the surface a wipe down with Goo Gone, and don't feel any sticky residue. It does seem like there's something still there, however, just from looking at it.

Should I sand this surface, or do anything additional before applying the graphics? I've seen videos online about removing graphics which has left a glue residue, but these have all been Williams cabinets so I am curious if I should expect a different process with a Stern cabinet since I don't see or feel any glue residue.

Thanks for the advice.

Image is side of backbox post heat gun/putty knife removal of decal.

Image from iOS (1) (resized).jpgImage from iOS (1) (resized).jpg
#4 4 years ago
Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

GooGone isn't going to do it, not strong enough. Xylene works well, get GOOD rubber gloves and use it outdoors. You have to sand the isht out of the cabinet; it has to be PERFECTLY smooth. Go up from 100 to 150 to 220. Then seal it and 220 again. Before decals, vacuum or brush and tack cloth. A tiny speck of dirt will look like a ripe zit on a 15 year olds forehead.
And you'll probably want to get the playfield and all the hardware and guts out of the game before proceedin further

So mind if I ask some basic stupid questions since I don't want to make any assumptions?

1: Xylene - what do I apply it with? Do I just apply it? or do I rub it in? Rinse?

2. Seal it with what? and how should the sealant be applied?

I figured I'd be taking everything out of the cabinet and removing the metal parts from it. I just did the side of the backbox to see what effort decal removal took.

Thanks for the advise!

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That’s weird. TSPP doesn’t have decals. The cabs were screen printed.

Given that's the case, does this change the process? This cabinet has something that comes up with a heat gun and scraping, so I'm not sure. It's worth noting that this is a later run cabinet, 2005 build. See the pic of the left side backbox which I posted above...

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You just scraped the direct printed art off. That’s why there was no goo. The first Stern cab with decals was Transformers in 2011. Sorry, you just ruined a TSPP

Given it was already ruined, Why not strip, fill and sand if I'm going to decal the thing anyways? I'm just looking to make a good surface that the decals will stick to.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Was it in fact ruined? TSPP is known for having an intentionally washed out cabinet look. Plus it’s dotty from their printing process. A “normal” TSPP has decent colors on the large family characters & logo...and all the incidentals are lighter.

It, quite frankly, was gross. I've got two TSPP's sitting next to each other. While one is dirty and used, the other one looked like it was in a smoking lounge it's entire life. This one I've started stripping had absolutely disgusting yellow residue on all the art. I tried cleaning it with several methods and it just looked terrible. I've no regrets stripping what was there and replacing it with fresh art decals. It wasn't just fade, it was filthy.

#15 4 years ago

I figured I'd post an update on how things turned out. I'm pretty happy with the results. We ended up just sanding the old art and grime off with first a belt sander, then an orbital sander. It's true that missing a knick in the cabinet during sand and fill resulted in a slight blemish, but overall I'm very happy with the results given this is a route game.
Image from iOS (1) (resized).jpgImage from iOS (1) (resized).jpgImage from iOS (2) (resized).jpgImage from iOS (2) (resized).jpgImage from iOS (3) (resized).jpgImage from iOS (3) (resized).jpgImage from iOS (4) (resized).jpgImage from iOS (4) (resized).jpgImage from iOS (5) (resized).jpgImage from iOS (5) (resized).jpgImage from iOS (6) (resized).jpgImage from iOS (6) (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 16.00
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Youngstown, OH
9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider creech927.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-factory-cabinet-decals-and-prepping-for-new-ones-tspp?tu=creech927 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.