(Topic ID: 39822)

Removing dried mylar residue from inserts?

By Dommer

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Dommer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

i've been working on getting my pinbot up to shape. it had mylar on it that was removed before i bought it, though there was still a lot of mylar glue residue on the playfield. i've gotten most of it off the playfield with some magic eraser, rubbing alcohol and elbow grease. i haven't had any luck with using this method to get it off of the inserts. it's crusted over and impossible to get off. check the 'shoot again' insert on the last pic of the initial post to see what i'm getting at: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-restoration-questions-tilt-issue
    i tried using a flat screw driver to scrape it off and it worked pretty well, but i'm worried about scratching the insert or worse, slipping and scratching the playfield. i do plan to get new decals, so i'm not too worried about scratching off the decals if that's what it comes to.

#2 11 years ago

I bought HS that sat in storage for eight years that had the mylar off but the glue was on it. The glue was hard as a rock, Goof off wasn't working. However, naphtha at home depot did the trick. GOOD LUCK!

#3 11 years ago

Start with something gentle, like Goo Gone (NOT GOOF OFF) and a plastic razor blade. If that doesn't work, step up to naphtha. I like the plastic scrapers a lot, and the thinner you get, the better. There are some that look just like a razor blade, but they're plastic.

#4 11 years ago

There is always some solvent that dissolves that stuff, but naphtha is usually it.

MEK, Acetone, Acrylsol, also should be part of your arsenal.

If you can see that the clear coat is alligatored, then just scrape if off down to the bare plastic and waterslide decal the black key lining after the first coat of clear.

#5 11 years ago

Be careful with something like MEK. It's gotta be used with ventilation or a mask.

#6 11 years ago

how careful do i need to be with the naphtha? do i need to worry about it dissolving/messing up the playfield paint or anything like that?
    side note: i did try goo gone and it didn't work to get it off the inserts. it did help get rid of the last little bits of residue after a good go over with the magic eraser/rubbing alcohol combo.

#7 11 years ago

Naphtha is basically lighter fluid. Don't sit and breathe the stuff, but it's not awful. Naphtha won't eat your clearcoat either, it's pretty great to use.

1 week later
    #8 11 years ago

tried the naphtha and nothing. looks like i'm just going to have to scrape all the inserts and hit them hard with some novus 1 and 2. getting some new decals as well so should work out.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-dried-mylar-residue-from-inserts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.