(Topic ID: 141954)

Removing double-sided tape from PCB

By Gorgonzola

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gorgonzola.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I hope this isn't too off-topic. I want to remove an after-market battery holder from my WH20 WPC board as I am going to eliminate the batteries.

The battery holder that was installed by a previous owner isn't one of the regular ones that solders directly onto the board. It's more like a remote battery holder (with two short wires soldered to the board) and has been mounted on the PCB in its usual location. Unfortunately they thought it'd be a good idea to use large pieces of double-sided tape (that cover the whole surface area of the battery holder) to mount it to the board.

Using just my hand, I can't make the thing move at all, so it's bonded fairly tight. Before I start trying to pry on it with something I thought it'd be a good idea to ask here and see if there's any suggestions. Maybe there's something that can dissolve the adhesive without damaging the board.

If I do have to pry it, I thought a nylon spudger might be the way to go.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I took the board out and used a combination of your suggestions.

As I don't have any Goo Gone, I put some Shellite (Aussie equivalent of Naptha) through the screw holes on the battery holder and let it soak into the edges of the tape. I then pried from one corner of the holder with a plastic razor blade and the whole thing popped up off the tape. I then repeated a cycle of soaking, picking/rubbing the edge, soaking, picking/rubbing the edge until all the tape was gone. The whole process took about 45mins as some of the tape would only come off in tiny little chunks. I'm glad it wasn't Epoxy!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

17,250 (OBO)
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gorgonzola.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-double-sided-tape-from-pcb?tu=Gorgonzola and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.