Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by mmr61184
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-940.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Hey guys I am just starting to prep my T2 cabinet and I am trying to get the decals off but it has been a bitch. I know later 90s games had a black coating that the decals were screened on to which i have gotten off much easier than there. I get most of the picture off but I am left with this crazy white stuff that is impossible to get off any suggestions for removing the rest when I flip it over guys would help out a lot

#2 9 years ago

Heat gun while using putty knife?

#3 9 years ago

PinRob is correct..... Best way is heat gun and a putty knife. I have best results at higher temp right when the decal gets very soft and moving at a steady pace. Works great for me.

#4 9 years ago

Yeah on later games I think that's the case because they have that coat on the bottom. I could be wrong but I think they are directly screened onto the wood i the earlier ones.

#5 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#6 9 years ago

I think there is a distinct difference between games. Monster Bash and Cactus Canyon are those decals that tear really easily the decals come off like butter, but games like IJ and I would imagine T2 they were screen printed right to the cabinet. Makes it a real bitch to remove. I did see a thread once a guy removed FT decals with a belt sander.

#7 9 years ago

I thought you most were screened up until 94 or so ?

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from patrickvc:

I think there is a distinct difference between games. Monster Bash and Cactus Canyon are those decals that tear really easily the decals come off like butter, but games like IJ and I would imagine T2 they were screen printed right to the cabinet. Makes it a real bitch to remove. I did see a thread once a guy removed FT decals with a belt sander.

Exactly this is why MB and those games have problems with decal wrinkles at the legs. My IJ came off much easier than this its a bitch to get that white stuff off 80 grit sand paper with a DA sander isn't doing a dent

#9 9 years ago

gloves , goggles and automotive paint stripper.

#10 9 years ago

90's W/B, for the most part, had a white membrane applied first, then the artwork was screened on. I've redecaled several 90's W/B games and at first I removed the artwork and the white membrane by using a heat gun and putty knife. Worked fine, but taking a cabinet down to bare wood, you can the have the issue of raising the grain that's a bitch to sand out. Then it hit me, why not just sand off the artwork and leave the white membrane which it appears is where you're at. All you're looking for is a smooth surface and once you've filled in imperfections and sanded out the ridges in paint, from the silkscreening, you're there. Think of it like sanding a car to repaint, the last thing you want to do is to get through the primer to bare metal. Here is a Fish Tales I redecaled for reference.
    http://timhanian.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Fish-Tales-W-NOS-playfield/12071033_S4RcXF#!i=857297966&k=DpcL2LV

Good luck with the resto.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from Tim_Hanian:

90's W/B, for the most part, had a white membrane applied first, then the artwork was screened on. I've redecaled several 90's W/B games and at first I removed the artwork and the white membrane by using a heat gun and putty knife. Worked fine, but taking a cabinet down to bare wood, you can the have the issue of raising the grain that's a bitch to sand out. Then it hit me, why not just sand off the artwork and leave the white membrane which it appears is where you're at. All you're looking for is a smooth surface and once you've filled in imperfections and sanded out the ridges in paint, from the silkscreening, you're there. Think of it like sanding a car to repaint, the last thing you want to do is to get through the primer to bare metal. Here is a Fish Tales I redecaled for reference.
    http://timhanian.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Fish-Tales-W-NOS-playfield/12071033_S4RcXF#!i=857297966&k=DpcL2LV

Did you prime over the white membrane before painting. That fish tales looks beautiful nice job on the resto

#12 9 years ago

I've used a heat gun with putty knife and it comes off great. Than Citrastrip for the glue. It's a PITA isn't it?! I've found this way fairly simple but time consuming. The glue's the hard part.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Tim_Hanian:

Don't do this then you have another layer that could lift off the wood. Do it right.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinPlayer2:

Best way is heat gun and a putty knife

Not even close.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Not even close.
    » YouTube video

Bought one of these a few years ago - one of my best purchases!

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

one of my best purchases

No doubt about it .

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

No doubt about it .

I still do it the old fashion way. Scrape it off with my teeth.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I still do it the old fashion way. Scrape it off with my teeth.

Good thing there isn't lead paint on there Bryan

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Not even close.
    » YouTube video

I need to break down and buy a festool setup.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

Did you prime over the white membrane before painting. That Fish Tales looks beautiful nice job on the resto

Yep. A bit of fine sanding after and they come out smooth as glass. Oh and I've done several this way, over several years, with no problems.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Not even close.
    » YouTube video

WHERE DO YOU GET THAT AND HOW MUCH!!!!!

#22 9 years ago

looks just like and electric sander with vacuum attachment... nothing fancy or high tech.... if it is that cheap and easy why does everyone recommend the putty and heat gun? after the video... I am sold

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from toasterman04:

looks just like and electric sander with vacuum attachment... nothing fancy or high tech.

That is what everyone thinks and buys shit form home depot . The Festool sanders are not cheap. Why ? Because they actually work !

#24 9 years ago

OHHHHHHHHHHH FFFFEEEESSSTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLL.... written down got it.... time to research

#25 9 years ago

I am using a RO 125 and a CT36 dust collector . Those two items will set you back about 1100.00

#26 9 years ago

oh my goodness.... hmmm I think I might be using the putty knife... $600.00 for a sander. The wife would never... NEVER let that fly. for hobby purposes anyway

#27 9 years ago

ohhhhhh and I was excited to buy a new toy...

#28 9 years ago

plus our Canadian dollar right now that would amount to... hang on let me grab my calculator............. oh.. oh wow... $1,000,000.00

#29 9 years ago

I have the ro 125 and the midi - had the ro90 as well but sold that one.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from toasterman04:

oh my goodness.... hmmm I think I might be using the putty knife... $600.00 for a sander. The wife would never... NEVER let that fly. for hobby purposes anyway

Yeah unfortunately for the hobbiest I cant justify that kind of spend too. Bryan Kelly said keep at it with the DA sander

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

Yeah unfortunately for the hobbiest I cant justify that kind of spend too. Bryan Kelly said keep at it with the DA sander

Bryan Kelly also said the white is nothing but ink and you could sand down to that, and then do your cabinet prep. Really, no reason I can think of to go all the way down to bare wood.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Bryan Kelly also said the white is nothing but ink and you could sand down to that, and then do your cabinet prep. Really, no reason I can think of to go all the way down to bare wood.

Depends on the game - a lot of mine it was vinyl - easy to tell when it starts rolling up right?

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Yup and that's what I think I am going to do. Get it to the white fill in the holes and prime right over it

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

Get it to the white fill in the holes and prime right over it

Might as well just prep over the art work , what is one less mill?

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

Depends on the game - a lot of mine it was vinyl - easy to tell when it starts rolling up right?

Yeah the newer games have that vinyl and are so much easier to work with. These older games are much different

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

Exactly. T2 appears to be screened directly on the wood. No vinyl. In this case, there's really no reason to remove the first white layer of ink. If there's vinyl, I would remove it all down to bare wood.

#37 9 years ago

All right question I took it down to the wood in some spots more by accident than anything the eithe came off easier than expected do I have to skim coat a little bondo or will the primer take up the imperfection

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

All right question I took it down to the wood in some spots more by accident than anything the eithe came off easier than expected do I have to skim coat a little bondo or will the primer take up the imperfection

Pics wood help - close ups - but I'd say skim coat of bondo

#39 9 years ago

I used Rapid Remover to remove the decals from my IJ. With the combination of a wide putty knife and heat gun, it was pretty easy, about 2 hours for the entire cabinet and backbox, and no residue left.
    Greg

#40 9 years ago

For those that are curious this is what it looks like just finished sanding

image.jpgimage.jpg
    image-940.jpgimage-940.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-decals-on-early-90s-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.