Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by clg
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I am looking at a STTNG that has a fair bit of corrosion on some of the PF metal areas including the wire forms, and the metal base of the cannons. Can this be removed and if so what is the best approach and how much work is it?

Thanks for any advice!

#2 10 years ago

My biggest concern would be that a lot more rust is present. Check the hardware under the playfield and see how it looks (lamp sockets, metal brackets, etc.).

Removing the rust (if its only surface rust) isn't a huge deal. The work is in disassembling everything. If the rust has eaten through chrome then you'll have to re-chrome the part.

For removing rust there are several methods depending on the situation: Evapo-Rust (soak it), tumbler, steel wool, Dremel abrasive buffs, etc.

#3 10 years ago

You can get a cheap vibratory tumbler at amazon or you can use alot of elbow grease and nevr-dull cotton wadding.

#4 10 years ago

must have been next to the ocean sometime in it's life. You see a lot of under playfield rusting. Little soak in evaporust or sonic cleaner will take care of that.

#5 10 years ago

Under the pf looked ok but I will give it another look to be sure. Could be a lot of work with switches and light sockets if they are a mess too. Thanks!

#6 10 years ago

light sockets I wouldn't bother with. just buy new and throw them in.

#7 10 years ago

Just adds to the work is all. PF is good but it will need a major shop. Not sure if the price will reflect that or not.

#8 10 years ago

it does if your buying. If it's dirty as shit, the price is usually $600 cheaper. If it doesn't boot, the price just dropped in half.

#9 10 years ago

Meant to say don't know if the sellers price will reflect that. I will discount accordingly with my offer!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 63.95
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
$ 64.99
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-corrosion-on-sttng and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.