5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by John_I
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

As I have my (Bally, Gottlieb, Williams) EMs in no-coin mode (i.e., the credit button works if there is "0" showing on the credit wheel, by simply making the switch that is supposed to be open when at "0" be closed all the time), I am wondering if I could simply remove all the relays dealing with the coins, thereby being able to cannibalize the parts off of these (i.e., coils, switches) to use elsewhere. It seems that all I would need to do is to make the default open just be cut away and make the default closed just be tied.

For example, looking at Jack In The Box:

The X (2 PLAY) relay is only actuated (besides a hold by itself) if the "1 COIN 2 PLAYS" pin is set.

The W (3RD CHUTE) relay is only actuated (besides a hold by itself) by a default OFF switch of X.

The Y (2 COINS) relay is only actuated (besides a hold by itself) if the "2 COINS 1 PLAY" pin is set.

It seems that by doing this, I avoid a whole lot of issues of the switches of these relays having to be ON as per default ON.

Is this a good idea?

#2 5 years ago

NO! Leave things alone.

If you ever sell the machine the new owner may want the coin equipment to work. By removing things, I would consider it "hacked" and worth considerably less money.

#3 5 years ago

I just cannot see that anything is gained by what you propose. All of the parts gained are readily available and as Ken says such a change to originality devalues the machine.

#4 5 years ago

Well, a blade top fell off of one of these, so I just took it out, and have already found 2 places that are using the cannibalization.

I don't think anyone but the hardest core collector gives 2 shiits about this. In any case, as a standard procedure, I always strip down the coin door to the bare essentials that give the outside the same view of stuff as if everything were intact.

All that said, it is not worth taking anything out unless it is already broken.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from swampwiz:

Well, a blade top fell off of one of these, so I just took it out, and have already found 2 places that are using the cannibalization.
    I don't think anyone but the hardest core collector gives 2 shiits about this. In any case, as a standard procedure, I always strip down the coin door to the bare essentials that give the outside the same view of stuff as if everything were intact.
    All that said, it is not worth taking anything out unless it is already broken.

You asked in your original post whether this was a good idea; then infer who cares; then suggest not worth doing anyway. I am a tad confused.

#6 5 years ago

I disconnect the coil on the coin door but leave it in place. This keeps it from heating and buzzing for no reason. Other than that, I don't remove or bypass anything except maybe something like a 115 volt hold relay if it is already burned and stopped functioning.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-coin-relays and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.