(Topic ID: 334847)

Removing Circuit Boards before Transport/Shipping

By Bohm

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is it a good idea to remove circuit boards in older pinball machines for transport?”

• It's a pretty good idea. 0 votes
    • It's a dumb idea, OP is an idiot. 32 votes
      97%
    • How would I know, I'm rich and have other people perform this menial task for me. 1 vote
      3%

(33 votes)

#1 1 year ago

Tried searching and couldn't find anything although I'm certain it's been discussed multiple times.

Besides the extra time and hassle of removing and reinstalling, are there any drawbacks to removing the back box circuit boards for transport? Seems like every time I move an older game that worked perfectly fine on-site, it has several issues and needs repairs when I get them home. These may be issues that were going to rear their head in short order anyway but it doesn't always feel that way. One time I got detoured off the interstate to a horribly maintained road (thanks Louisiana) with a machine I left on legs in the back of a U-Haul trailer that got bounced around like a yahtzee die, it took me months to sort that out. Those boards definitely got scrambled and would have been better off in the cab of my truck. But there have been other incidences where the transport went smooth and whatever vibrations happened from being bolted inside the machine caused failures that may not have happened if the boards were removed and carried in a softer medium.

To be fair, this has only happened to me with 1999 and older games.

#2 1 year ago

I think removing boards for transit is going to have a higher chance of board damage than leaving them in.
    unplugging everything, plugging back in, and possibly getting pins bent during any of this, or plugging back in wrong,...
    all of those can do more harm than good, and take the legs off when transporting.

#3 1 year ago

Personally I don't think removing the boards is enough. I also like to remove the wiring harness and package it separately to avoid getting freyed wires and loose connections.

#4 1 year ago

You transported a pin on legs and worry about the boards? You are an idiot.

Your boards weren’t scrambled the connectors probably all came loose. Just make a habit of checking them when you set it back up.

These were designed to be moved a lot but so don’t worry about it.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

You transported a pin on legs and worry about the boards? You are an idiot.
    Your boards weren’t scrambled the connectors probably all came loose. Just make a habit of checking them when you set it back up.
    These were designed to be moved a lot but so don’t worry about it.

Yeah, not doing that again.

I didn't have much experience at that point and he is an old pro and told me he does it all the time, and maybe it is fine most of the time but I won't be doing it again after that.

#6 1 year ago

Unless it’s an old Gottlieb where the boards are literally held in with old, brittle plastic standoffs I would leave it alone. Even in that case, if a board came loose the wiring harness would pretty much hold it in place.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bohm:

Tried searching and couldn't find anything although I'm certain it's been discussed multiple times.
    Besides the extra time and hassle of removing and reinstalling, are there any drawbacks to removing the back box circuit boards for transport? Seems like every time I move an older game that worked perfectly fine on-site, it has several issues and needs repairs when I get them home. These may be issues that were going to rear their head in short order anyway but it doesn't always feel that way. One time I got detoured off the interstate to a horribly maintained road (thanks Louisiana) with a machine I left on legs in the back of a U-Haul trailer that got bounced around like a yahtzee die, it took me months to sort that out. Those boards definitely got scrambled and would have been better off in the cab of my truck. But there have been other incidences where the transport went smooth and whatever vibrations happened from being bolted inside the machine caused failures that may not have happened if the boards were removed and carried in a softer medium.
    To be fair, this has only happened to me with 1999 and older games.

I'm going with dumb idea.

The safest place for those boards is inside the game.

The same goes for backglasses....I've seen people remove those to move the game and I'm like...why?!

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The safest place for those boards is inside the game.

The same goes for backglasses

On a game I'm picking up--if the glass tubes on the displays are no longer adhered to the PCB, I'll tape them down temporarily to keep them from bouncing around and/or whacking the backglass. I'll then fix those properly later after I bring it home.

Other than that, everything stays in the game as-is.

#9 1 year ago

The consensus is pretty clear but if one more driver board bites the dust on me I've got to do something different.

I'm 0-4 on WPC power driver boards and those things don't grow on trees.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bohm:

The consensus is pretty clear but if one more driver board bites the dust on me I've got to do something different.

Maybe secure the game itself better in your vehicle so it doesn't slide or bounce?

In my vehicle, I add padding (cardboard and blankets) so that it doesn't move around too much. If I'm hauling in a trailer, I strap the games to the walls.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bohm:

This is true, but they are also very repairable. At this stage, if the board hasn't had a complete work through, it's not a bad idea to pull them anyway. Get those headers reflowed or replaced where needed. New caps, check the bridges. I can see rough transportation breaking those through hole traces on the large caps and causing issues. I'm with Levi and Force. Everything stays in the game during transport.

#12 1 year ago

I don't want to vote that the OP is an idiot, but I don't think pulling the boards out is a good idea.
    More likely that something gets damaged or connected wrong that way.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I don't want to vote that the OP is an idiot, but I don't think pulling the boards out is a good idea.
    More likely that something gets damaged or connected wrong that way.

That's fair, but I have to pull them out anyway to have somebody work on them or send them off so I always take a bunch of pictures and try to make marks with a permanent marker if it hasn't been done already.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bohm:

You are telling me you are packing up fully working WPC games, and then moving them, and then when you set them up, your driver boards no longer work? And you are 0-4 on this?

You must be the unluckiest guy in the entire hobby. I've probably moved 200 WPC games and that's never happened to me.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

On a game I'm picking up--if the glass tubes on the displays are no longer adhered to the PCB, I'll tape them down temporarily to keep them from bouncing around and/or whacking the backglass. I'll then fix those properly later after I bring it home.
    Other than that, everything stays in the game as-is.

Now that is really good advice.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-circuit-boards-before-transport-shipping and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.