Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Cat Pee Smell.jpg
    NukeOrbit.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 years ago

Great story!

If it makes you feel better, most of the 70s playfield plastics smell like feta cheese and puke combined.

I've got a pile of SBM plastics in a gallon ziploc bag that if you open to find a needed plastic, you have to hold your breath - otherwise it's chunder time.

#52 8 years ago

Thanks Vid, yeah you could be right about the plastics, but none of the other plastics on my machines have had this horrible smell. I forgot to mention that after Kilz's, I painted all those parts with a coat of latex paint to seal the deal.

#53 8 years ago

Mikala - I think this experience makes you the Pinside expert on cat urine.

#54 8 years ago

Try using ozone for a day. It will degrade your rubber rings but if you just use it for a day they should be ok. Ozone can take out some of the most nasty odors in cars, hotel rooms, houses etc. YOu will need to find an ozonator. I have a large model for houses and a very small one I use in our boat. It works great.

#55 8 years ago

Try the peroxide/sunlight deyellowing technique on the plastics.

At least you'll have deyellowed plastics if not deodorized.

#56 8 years ago

Congratulations on defeating The Smell in the Cabinet.

For the plastics, I'd recommend a soak in that CatUrine Destroyer you mentioned. Be sure to test it on a small, cheaply replaced bit first.

If that doesn't work, I would try ozoning it. This is how car lots remove smells from used vehicles. If you don’t have a really good ozone machine, just roll up to a dealership with the cab in the morning and offer to leave it there on free play for the day in exchange for running a hose from the machine to the back of the cabinet while it's there. (assuming it's working. If not you could use another to garner their goodwill)

If that hasn't worked, and your about to toss the plastics, more drastic measures can be taken. After all You can't kill it twice.

The offending compounds weren't under pressure while infiltrating the plastic, and it's not very porous. Thus they probably have not penetrated very deeply.

A quick dip in acetone (ie: nail polish remover) will dissolve away the surface layer. Not spraying it down,but a quick dip and swish, followed by a quick rinse in water to remove the acetone.
    Hopefully this will be enough to remove the smell without damaging the plastic.
    Any rubber or art you do this to will be ruined.

#57 8 years ago

Even the old plastics that I put into peroxide/oxyclean and set in the sun for a day, still stink when you open up the closed bag.

Old plastics simply stink.

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-cat-urine-smell/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.