4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Cat Pee Smell.jpg
    NukeOrbit.jpg
    image.jpg

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Hi all,

I am bought a machine a while back and the owner's place smelled horribly like cat pee. I went a head and got the pin thinking I could air it out or use something to kill the smell. There doesn't appear to have any urine directly on it but the smell permeated the case I've cleaned the whole outside of it and tried airing it out with a fan blowing inside for days. Put baking soda and other odor absorbers in, use malodor neutralizer.

Anyone have any ideas other than building a new case?

Thanks

#2 4 years ago

cat pee is the worst. I have no ideas other than watch craigslist, once in a while I come across a cabinet for free or very cheap.

#3 4 years ago

IMO you need to use something stronger to cover it up.

#4 4 years ago

Anti Icky Poo is the best I've used for carpets. I'm not sure how well it would work on wood, though. It's an enzyme cleaner, and it takes time to do its work, but it does actually work very well.

http://www.antiickypoo.com/

#5 4 years ago

Nature's Miracle for Cats (enzyme cleaner/deodorizer):

http://www.petco.com/product/2437/Natures-Miracle-Stain-And-Odor-Remover.aspx

I would do testing on painted surfaces before doing too much.

#6 4 years ago

I have Nature's Miracle but I am reluctant to spray the inside of the cabinet with it

#7 4 years ago
    image.jpg
    #8 4 years ago
    Quoted from lostboy:

I have Nature's Miracle but I am reluctant to spray the inside of the cabinet with it

I would spray a rag and wipe the inside if that is where the smell is coming from. The smell of Nature's Miracle goes away quickly by evaporation. I would not close up the the game until the spray has had time to dry up.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

IMO you need to use something stronger to cover it up.

I agree, take a huge $h1t in it and you will no longer care about the cat piss.

#10 4 years ago

If you already have Nature's Miracle, I agree with DCFAN. Start by wiping it down with a rag and let it sit open for a day or so. An enzyme cleaner is the only thing that is going to work, IMO.

If it still reeks, I'd personally not rule out spraying the inside of the cabinet directly. If it's so bad you're going to have to replace it, why not give it a shot.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from ranchdrsn:

LOL - Not exactly what I was going for.

#12 4 years ago

I have used a product called OdoBan. It is relatively inexpensive and I got it in a large half gallon bottle at Home Depot. It was the only thing that removed the smell from carpeting after my daughter's cat messed up. It may take a few applications. I would also sprinkle a very liberal amount of baking soda in the cabinet in between washings.

#13 4 years ago

I would also consider letting the game get some fresh air for a few days.

#14 4 years ago

A bleach water rag, works and a can of Oder neutrizer.... However, bleach and ammonia (cat pee) DO NOT MIX. and depending on the amount of pee in the cab, you may get a toxic reaction cloud or steam. Its not explosive or anything, just don't breath it. IE: do it with adequate ventilation.

#15 4 years ago

Just take everything out and give it a couple of thick coats of paint, till you come across a cabinet.

#16 4 years ago

If the other suggestions don't work, you could coat the inside cabinet with kilz. It is meant for sealing in smellz.

#17 4 years ago

Cat piss is the worst.

I wonder how far pee absorbs into the wood? Maybe you can try sanding down the parts that have piss. I don't mean a light sanding, I mean removing as much material absorbed with pee as possible.

#18 4 years ago

I bought a Funhouse pretty cheap because of the cat urine smell on the inside.... it was pretty bad. I used Odor B Gone from Sam's Club with a spray bottle.. full strength & let it dry & re-applied & never had the urine smell after that.

#19 4 years ago

The piss is probably on the fiberboard bottom of the cab. Cats don't piss 4 feet up in the air to spray the outside of the cab.

You don't say what game it is, but normally you have a few triangular gussets around the edges of the bottom fiberboard.

Chisel the gussets away from the sides of the cab, and then when you stand on the fiberboard, it will flex out of the channel it sits in.

Use the old fiberboard as a template to cut a new 1/4" PLYWOOD bottom.

Use a router or chisel to remove the channel lip from 2 adjoining sides of the cab, so the new bottom can be installed.

-

You can't use chemicals to "mask" the odor, because every time the humidity goes up, the piss will come back.

Wipe the rest of the inside of the cab with 50/50 bleach and water.

Set it out in the sunlight while you fabricate the new bottom, so the UV can break down any remaining odor.

#20 4 years ago

It is a Judge Dredd and it was in a house that had really strong cat urine smell and it permeated the cabinet but I don't think it was directly hit with pee.

#21 4 years ago

You could try Gold Bond medicated foot powder. I got a machine that had a medium level cat pee smell. We put the powder in, waited a few days and vacuumed it out. Vid's method is probably the best, or nuke the entire site from orbit....it's the only way to be sure.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Set it out in the sunlight while you fabricate the new bottom, so the UV can break down any remaining odor.

Sunlight, time and good dry air work wonders for most of the stubborn smells. You do need to make sure the sun does not bleach any artwork by positioning and shade and protect it from rain, etc. It took me a couple of weeks for my 2001 to no longer stink enough to move into the main part of our house.

#23 4 years ago

Do you live in a hot dry place like Arizona? If so, you could try baking the pee out of the cabinet. That won't do your cabinet reds any favors.

WillG:
    NukeOrbit.jpg

#24 4 years ago

Lostboy, the best product on the market for this is called "clear the air". Its a dry granule designed to pull the smell out of wood and carpet. U leave it on for about a day to work and then simply vacuum it off. It is NOT scented

#25 4 years ago

Yea I passed on a pretty good deal bc the house was nasty and the pin stunk but I was not having that in my house .I have animals and ill be dam if my house gets like that ugh freaking gross

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Yea I passed on a pretty good deal bc the house was nasty and the pin stunk but I was not having that in my house .I have animals and ill be dam if my house gets like that ugh freaking gross

Problem is anyone can have animals but actually caring for them is another matter. Some people just toss them some food and sometimes water besides the toilet and call it good.

Since it hasn't (hopefully) been directly targeted by animals an ozone generator can work wonders. Give it a few days with one running and you might be golden.

#27 4 years ago

Try and Ozone it... should be someone local that can do for you.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from lostboy:

I am bought a machine a while back

Any chance the pin is Bad Cats?

That'd make this thread even better. Just lie to me. It's OK.

#29 4 years ago

Baking soda will work

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from HFK:

Problem is anyone can have animals but actually caring for them is another matter. Some people just toss them some food and sometimes water besides the toilet and call it good.
    Since it hasn't (hopefully) been directly targeted by animals an ozone generator can work wonders. Give it a few days with one running and you might be golden.

Yea that really pisses me off y even have a animal if you dont love it like a human ? A ionizer can work wonders also i
    I used them when I had a detail shop and we had some nasty cars, im guessing people lived and smoked 2 packs a day in their car ugh gross

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from Delta9:

Baking soda will work

No way

#32 4 years ago

Anytime I've had a really pissy cab, it was always from a cat or racoon climbing into the coindoor and spraying inside.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from lostboy:

kill the smell.

Cat Pee Smell.jpg

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

Maybe you can try sanding down the parts that have piss. I don't mean a light sanding, I mean removing as much material absorbed with pee as possible.

Then throw the dust into your neighbor's garden.

#35 4 years ago

Baking soda does kill cat piss.
    Put a whole box of arm and hammer in a sandwich sized Tupperware container and puncture the top a few times so it can breath.
    Let it sit for a day or two and it will soak alot up before you have to get hit with that amonia.

#36 4 years ago

I have had luck using diluted white vinegar to remove cat pee smells from various surfaces.

#37 4 years ago

Odoban rocks!!!

#38 4 years ago

Baking soda game over

#39 4 years ago

Ive never had any luck with baking soda even for light smells but I guess it depends on lots of things

#40 4 years ago

If you piss on it too it will only dilute the oder.

#41 4 years ago
    #42 4 years ago

Throw a box of dryer sheets in there....that removed the smell from a machine I had with cat piss problems.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from ranchdrsn:

Now that had me laughing!

#44 4 years ago

I'd love to know if anyone had tried an ozone machine and what the results were. I considered it but never tried it.

#45 4 years ago

Also put a cookie sheet or pan full of Arm & Hammer baking soda in the bottom of the cabinet to help absorb the smell. Replace the baking soda weekly for a while and that should help some. Take other advice above about using specific "cat urine" products.

#46 4 years ago

A blacklight could actually tell you where there is cat piss because it glows yellow when exposed to blacklight.

#47 4 years ago

a cat probably did piss on it somewhere, you have to find that and sand it away. be prepared for worse cat piss smell before this is all over.

#48 4 years ago

Here are your instructions to get rid of the smell.

Step 1) Find the cat that did it and piss on it.
    Step 2) Transplant the game into a new cab.

Not much you can do, short of what Vid wrote and replace the entire bottom. Even with that, the smell will probably still be there to some extent. I have 3 cats, luckily they don't piss anywhere, but my parent's cats used to a lot, and no matter what we did, we couldn't get rid of the smell unless we replaced what they pissed on.

#49 4 years ago

I'd have some friends over, drink a few beers and then group pee on it. Human pee will make the cat pee smell go away. Then your basement will smell just like any other bar.

Not sure if a bottle of Febreeze would do it.

3 months later
    #50 4 years ago

First, I need to thank everyone who posted on this thread. Back in April, I picked up a WMS Gulfstream off of CL. Machine was about 2 hours away and after I saw the pictures I explained to the owner that the machine needed a full restoration and I could not offer him more than half of his asking. He accepted and i was on my way to pick up the Gulf-stream

The pick-up:
    As I walked into the house, the first thing I discovered is I entered into the home of smokers. First nail into the coffin. They had a giant, hairy, wet smelling dog. Second nail. As I followed the owner down the stairs to the machine, I saw the third and final death nail, the cats sh!t box placed directly under the machine. Yes I wanted the machine, yes I was getting it for a good price, and I just drove two hours in the rain to pick this thing up. I was in to deep to turn around and just leave, so I paid the owner and we loaded up the machine. The drive home was herendous, I only had the head in my cab and the rest of the machine was in the bed of my truck. The smell was something awful.

First attempt:
    I unloaded the machine in my garage, took out the PF, trashed the glass and removed the back panel from the backbox. Put a cup of a pinesol type cleaner in the cabinet and let it sit for 6 weeks. The only result after 6 weeks was my whole garage smelled like cat piss. Oh, and did I forget to mention that it took about a week to get the smell out of my truck.

The success story:
    This great thread was started. The first and most important thing is I made no attempts to clean the cabinet with any solvents or cleaners. The Natures Miracle would not have worked according to the label. I bought a bottle of Natures Miracle Cat Urine Destroyer. I poured it into a spray bottle and went for my first application. I started with the outside of the bottom board since this was the most affected and if it did not work, I was going to have to replace it, so what do I have to lose. I sprayed the bottom board to the point that it was somewhat wet. Let it sit one day, 50% of the smell was gone. Applied 2nd treatment and sit a day. 95% gone. After third application smell was gone about 99%. Repeated the process with the painted back board and then again with the inside of the cabinet. Although, I only did one application on the inside cabinet because that is all it needed. I removed the bottom PF board and gave the back of that two applications. I did not apply to the painted side of the cabinet, I ME and alcohol that part, but my test on the back painted cabinet showed no signs of any issues from the natures miracle.

Next and final step suggested from this thread. I put two coats of Kilz's primer on the bottom, back, inside of the cabinet and on the bottom of the bottom PF board. Proud to say this machine is 100% cat piss free. Thanks to the pinside community.

The one mistake I made. I removed everything from the PF and put the parts in ziplock bags. The PF aired out well by itself over the past two months, plus it was not directly affected by the cat piss, but...... When I went to remove the playfield plastics from the ziplock bag after 3 months, I discovered the cat piss has penetrated the parts to death. I gave the plastics a light cleaning and then put them in a tote on a grate. I poured about a cup of this human piss destroyer one of my customers gave me that they use in homeless shelters. It pretty much smells like lemons to the 10 degree. I let it sit for three days. It only removed about 50% of the smell. When I installed the plastics, it pretty much made the PF smell like cat piss when I remove the glass. So my last step is replacing these plastics.

Once again, thanks to all, and I hope my story helps somone else down the road.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 18.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 59.00
    $ 15.95
    $ 53.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 18.95
    $ 15.00
    $ 35.95
    Playfield - Other
    MicksPinball
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 259.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 10.95
    Various Other Swag
    Third Coast Pinball
    There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside