4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3163 (resized).JPG
    124210.0 (resized).jpg
    SOpfup3 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1407 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0091 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1406 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1405 (resized).JPG

#1 4 years ago

What is the best way to remove broken screws from the playfield. I have 2 that are below the surface that I need to extract. I thought I would get opinions before I completely mess up the playfield.

#2 4 years ago

Below the surface? ouch.. I have only done a couple that where flush or a little above. Diagonal cutters or electronic cutters work great if you can grip it. Or with Dremel and cutting wheel make a slot for a small screw driver. Below I got nothing. Did you try you tube searching? maybe worth a shot.
    Only other thing I can think of is maybe a screw extractor bit or a small similar size screw and epoxy.

#3 4 years ago

Just to clarify--are these screwed into the wood, or screwed into t-nuts?

#4 4 years ago

Done this a coupe of times flush/below the PF surface, its a hack/rough job but it worked out for me, i used a small flat blade screwdriver & pry'd out the wood around the broken screw & i modded up these old Vise grips on the bench grinder & got them out, Filled the core hole with bamboo wood & filled it up the rest with quick wood putty, end result it looked fine & was worth it,

IMG_1405 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1406 (resized).JPG

#5 4 years ago

Drill a hole in it big enough for an EZ out. Left handed bit would be best. If the broken part isn't flat enough try using a punch to put a divot big enough to let the drill bit start.

Can you post a picture of it?

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Just to clarify--are these screwed into the wood, or screwed into t-nuts?

Into the wood, below the surface, no nut underneath. It appears as if this happened twice and someone attempted to remove them then just drilled yet a third hole. Stuff now doesn't line up and I want to attempt to fix it.

IMG_0091 (resized).JPG

#7 4 years ago

Depends where it is? I had one in my machine that I took a very small drill bit and drilled holes around it through the playfield. I made sure to stay within the indention of the post so that when I was done it would be covered. After drilling some of the screw off and giving it some wiggle room I used a small punch insert through the underside of the playfield to knock out the piece. Then used wood filler. You would have no idea it is there unless you removed the new post.

For the record mine had snapped off below the level of the pf. Game came like that and I had no idea there was a problem until the new post wouldn't screw in.

#8 4 years ago

mine was from underneath PF, for me Ezy outs/Extractors wouldn't work smallest size is to big,

IMG_1407 (resized).JPG

#9 4 years ago

I have found Vids recomm to use a Woodcraft screw extractor (available in 3 sizes 1/4, 5/16 & 3/8) to be really effective. The extractor drills around the culprit which allows it to be removed & then dowel the resultant hole. Need to be very careful to go around the broken screw to avoid shattering the extractor.

SOpfup3 (resized).jpg

#10 4 years ago

Drill from the bottom, punch tap it out, fill in with bondo?

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

I have found Vids recomm to use a Woodcraft screw extractor (available in 3 sizes 1/4, 5/16 & 3/8) to be really effective. The extractor drills around the culprit which allows it to be removed & then dowel the resultant hole. Need to be very careful to go around the broken screw to avoid shattering the extractor.

This looks like a cool tool, but the last part reminded me of this

#12 4 years ago

If extractors won't work, I would drill a hole through a slab of hardwood on a drill press to make a template. Then clamp that template to the playfield with the hole centered over the screw. This makes a guide so you can drill the screw out without drifting. You may need to repair the hole by setting a plug into the playfield and drilling a new hole.

1 month later
    #13 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Depends where it is? I had one in my machine that I took a very small drill bit and drilled holes around it through the playfield. I made sure to stay within the indention of the post so that when I was done it would be covered. After drilling some of the screw off and giving it some wiggle room I used a small punch insert through the underside of the playfield to knock out the piece. Then used wood filler. You would have no idea it is there unless you removed the new post.

I'd go the same way, using a very small drill bit.

#14 3 years ago

Punch it down a bit. When you know where it is going to come through the bottom drill a relief hole up. Finish punching it down and through. The top is way more important than the bottom so you don't want widening or splintering. After it is out there are many ways to fill and close up the hole for reuse.

#15 3 years ago

I decided to use a small drill bit and slowly and carefully drilled around it from the bottom. When I got far enough to get a small pair if vice grips on it, I unscrewed it that way. I was able to still use the rest of the hole with a replacement post.

#17 3 years ago

This is what I have and I constantly curse while using it. Screw breaks are terrible.

I'M LOOKING YOU GOTTLIEB WITH ALL YOUR LOCK-TITE.

#18 3 years ago

I like those screw extractors that Vid showed the best.

If you don't have any extractors you can make one from a 1/4" or 3/8" roll/spring pin. Load it into your drill and file an edge on the pin and it will dig out around a broken screw.

IMG_3163 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 49.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 12.95
    $ 17.50
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 39.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    $ 289.00
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 28.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    € 6.50
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 195.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    WOZ - OZ lanes Out of stock
    The Art of Pinball
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Protection
    Pin Monk
    $ 164.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 159.00
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 7.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 209.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside