Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by HighNoon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I know that Comet is a hinged backbox, but I recall seeing main connectors that connected the head to the cabinet, just like the early solid state Williams. I'm going to pick one up today, and I only have my Nissan Versa Hatchback. I would need to remove the head and I'm really hoping that those connectors are there.

#2 10 years ago

Yes those connectors are there. You shouldn't have a problem. Pull each bundle up through the hole and disconnect. When they 're all hanging out, remove the ground strap, unbolt and remove.

viperrwk

#3 10 years ago

label or color code connectors.

#4 10 years ago

NOT hinged

#5 10 years ago

Curious, when did hinged backboxes start? My Sorcerer (also a System 9) has a hinged backbox but my Laser Cue (one year older) does not.

#6 10 years ago

It was hinged indeed. I had a Comet before and it was also hinged. It fit into my Versa no prob. I wish all backboxes were hinged with block connectors to give you the option of removing it or folding it down. No more borrowing friends SUVs.

#7 10 years ago

weird...mine was NOT

#8 10 years ago

I had a comet, it was definitely not hinged.

#9 10 years ago

When ever I had to remove a non-folding back box, I either used a sharpie and labeled each connector via a number like 1,2,3 or used like color post-it paper with, again a letter or number for each, just to idiot proof the reassembly, since I am an idiot. The one Comet I helped rebuild for a client, didn't have a hinged back box, but....alas.... that was the least of my issues in the rebuild. ~SpOoKy

#10 10 years ago

So strange that I've had 2 with hinged backboxes, yet you guys haven't had them with hinges. I guess they made it mandatory when they switched to system 11. Well, I'm glad it's back. What a great game.

#11 10 years ago

yes, I miss mine

#12 10 years ago

My Comet is NOT HINGED

#13 10 years ago

My Comet is hinged & I don't think I've ever seen one that wasn't. That's interesting. I wonder if they used non-hinged cabinets in early runs before switching to the hinged cabinet?

#14 10 years ago

Yeah, didn't they do 2 major runs of Comet?

#15 10 years ago

My Comet was HINGED.

They must have added hinges mid-run.

--Luke

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-backbox-from-comet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.