(Topic ID: 297580)

Removing a Zaccaria backglass

By Paulspinball

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    FC080FDE-0BED-4610-9759-FF198A134774 (resized).jpeg
    E5F09818-F364-4BBF-8FCF-6360365BC11A (resized).jpeg
    D5B2FE25-9A6B-4E76-8773-42942455790E (resized).jpeg
    4D366A6A-7030-4FA2-8F35-BAB63F72A270 (resized).jpeg
    111CA900-A369-4F7A-8C25-CA091ACDD8CD (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

Hi,

I want to remove the backglass on my Zaccaria Supersonic.
    Do I have to remove the wooden strips, see pictures. These seem to be stapled and glued.
    Or is there another way?
    Thanks for your help.

Paul

111CA900-A369-4F7A-8C25-CA091ACDD8CD (resized).jpeg111CA900-A369-4F7A-8C25-CA091ACDD8CD (resized).jpeg4D366A6A-7030-4FA2-8F35-BAB63F72A270 (resized).jpeg4D366A6A-7030-4FA2-8F35-BAB63F72A270 (resized).jpeg
    #2 2 years ago

Pulling these brackets back toward yourself should release the glass. If you’ve done that (hard to tell from the pic, looks like you might have pulled these already) it’s possible the cabinet has shifted in a way that’s squeezing the glass and it’s a little stuck. It will lift out the front though. If it’s stuck be careful because, if Zaccaria EM glass is like their SS glass, it may be plate glass!

D5B2FE25-9A6B-4E76-8773-42942455790E (resized).jpegD5B2FE25-9A6B-4E76-8773-42942455790E (resized).jpeg
    #3 2 years ago

Hi ,
    Thanks for your quick reply.
    I did loosen the metal brackets and pulled them back, they don’t seem to do anything. I can’t see how the glass can get past the wooden strips, the glass is too wide and high. I attached another photo, which shows the metal brackets don’t ever touch the glass.
    The glass doesn’t seem to be stuck, I can push it backwards and forward up to the wooden strips.

Any ideas

Paul

E5F09818-F364-4BBF-8FCF-6360365BC11A (resized).jpegE5F09818-F364-4BBF-8FCF-6360365BC11A (resized).jpeg
    #4 2 years ago

Apologies if I’m interpreting what you mean wrong but I am wondering if you’re trying to remove the glass from the back of the game. I’m just not sure I am following which wooden strips you mean.

If you haven’t already, lift the glass from the metal lift bar on the front of the glass and it should come out this side. If it’s not coming out still, I’ll ask someone else who’s actually owned one of these to chime in.

FC080FDE-0BED-4610-9759-FF198A134774 (resized).jpegFC080FDE-0BED-4610-9759-FF198A134774 (resized).jpeg

#5 2 years ago

Hi,
    Success!
    Thank you so much, yes I thought it came out from the back!
    Now I can spray it with Triple Thick.
    Thanks again,
    Paul

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Paulspinball:

Hi,
    Success!
    Thank you so much, yes I thought it came out from the back!
    Now I can spray it with Triple Thick.
    Thanks again,
    Paul

Whoa there new guy,
    Why are you triple-thicking that glass? From your pictures it looks great already.
    Triple Thick has shown to not be stable over time.
    After about a decade some triple-thicked glasses have had massive chunks peel off.

Almost all pinball backglasses come out the front, so I think you should take a little more time to learn before spraying that backglass down

#7 2 years ago

Now you are worrying me.

From reading people’s experience most say spraying will stop the ink/paint coming off. I have been using

http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index1.htm#bg

to repair the the game and they advise spraying to stop any further loss of ink/paint.

Paul

#8 2 years ago

You glass looks great. I would replace any 44 bulbs with 47 type bulbs or LEDs (both run cooler than 44’s) and not try to fix nonexistent flaking problems by spraying the backglass. My opinion.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Paulspinball:

Now you are worrying me.
    From reading people’s experience most say spraying will stop the ink/paint coming off. I have been using
    http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index1.htm#bg
    to repair the the game and they advise spraying to stop any further loss of ink/paint.
    Paul

It doesn’t look like your game is flaking or crazing. As recommended above, change the bulbs to ones that aren’t as hot.

Basically: if it’s not broke don’t fix it. Triple-thick is NOT a magically preservation technique. It should only be used if the glass is going bad, not recommended to do it to a glass without issue as you will probably introduce issues down the road.

Keep the glass away from temperature changes and you should be just fine

#10 2 years ago

Thanks for your interest.
    I have attached a couple of pictures, of the backglass. They show the flaking and crazing I am worried about.
    Do you still feel that I should leave it alone?
    Paul

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-a-zaccaria-backglass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.