You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200815_235918_HDR[1] (resized).jpg
pf leaning.jpg
cabinet hinge.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Last year I got into a three hour shopout of my WW and decided to stop as I needed to remove the playfield and just wasn't too keen on the idea.

I'm thinking about giving it another go.

1. I'm guessing there are just some connectors that will need to be unplugged between the head and cab.
2. How do you actually pull the playfield out? I think I have to to actually get to the items in the back of the machine. I don't have a rotisserie, so where/how to I place the playfield during work?

Anyone have some thoughts on removing it?

#2 10 years ago

Actually, this is the step I was on when I stopped. (from a ww shopout guide I found):

"While the playfield is raised, pull it out of the bracket so it can be pulled forward for access to the rear of the playfield. "

How do I pull it out of the bracket and pull it forward? Do I rest it on something? Confused...

#3 10 years ago

Removal is easy. Remove connectors from head, feed the harness down into the cab.

Put PF at about a 45 degree angle, pull towards the front of the game.

Build a rotisserie. No other real easy or safe way to work on a pf out of the game.

#4 10 years ago

I've recently started with my Rollergames ( http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rollergames-super-shop-project ) and have a couple comments:

1) Yes - some connectors for the harness. Should be easy to find and disconnect.
2) The hinges have a sleeve that can move out (loosen nut) to make it easier to pull the playfield out. See pic.cabinet hinge.jpgcabinet hinge.jpg

3) I leaned mine against the wall. Have a plan for this, since it will need to be at an angle which prevents damage to items on top in the back and items on the bottom. I used a weight to keep it in place. A day or so later I built a pipe rotisserie.
pf leaning.jpgpf leaning.jpg

#5 10 years ago

There is no right answer, and this will vary from game to game. I've pulled several System 11 games off the bracket and slid it forward to work on something on the back of the play field.

I usually have a few small pieces of wood handy, I try and rest the front of the play field as to not put strain on anything delicate.

It's easy to do and not too big a deal. Just make sure when you go to put it back, it's in the bracket. There is some wood that should keep it from falling all the way down, but why risk it.

Quoted from Blackbeard:

How do I pull it out of the bracket and pull it forward? Do I rest it on something? Confused...

#6 10 years ago

Thanks guys..

4 years later
#7 5 years ago

I am about to undertake the same thing (removal of playfield from the cab) on my Whirlwind to repair a number of popped inserts.

I figure as long as I take photos of the connectors before I start, I will be able to get things back the way they were beforehand.

Assuming you continued and still remember, were there any special tips or gotchas you encountered that will save me from misery?

#8 5 years ago

The connectors are keyed and you should not have any issues plugging them back in. The wires are generally cut to length and it’s pretty hard to get things plugged into the wrong spots. If you’re really worried, you could use some painters tape and mark the location of the connectors as you remove them.

1 year later
#9 4 years ago

I've got a Mousin' Around that I'm contemplating removing the playfield for shopping purposes, and I can barely get it to budge from the bolts it hangs from. I assume that it's just that it's really heavy, or is there some trick to it? I tilted the pf up in the vertical position, grabbed the sides and heaved and it didn't really feel like it wanted to move much. If I just lifted up on one side, then I could get that side to lift up a little, but not both at the same time. My Black Knight's playfield feels like it'll come right out if I lift up on it, but not Mousin. Is Mousin's pf just that much heavier?

I guess maybe I need a second strong person to help heave it up? Am I just not strong enough alone?

#10 4 years ago

Loosen the bolts on the inside maybe? They aren't that heavy or at least most aren't any heavier than others.

#11 4 years ago

just lifts out, no tools needed. really need 2 people though. just look at those little brackets on the cabinet it sits on and guide it out

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Loosen the bolts on the inside maybe? They aren't that heavy or at least most aren't any heavier than others.

Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

just lifts out, no tools needed. really need 2 people though. just look at those little brackets on the cabinet it sits on and guide it out

Okay, thanks for the help. Must be some combination of bolt-tightness and weight, or something. I guess I'll wait to try lifting it out until I have someone with me. In the meantime, I'll just do without removing the swoosh ramp, and clean what I can reach.

#13 4 years ago

It's a lot easier to remove the playfield if you remove the legs and the game is sitting on the floor.

5 months later
#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

It's a lot easier to remove the playfield if you remove the legs and the game is sitting on the floor.

This is also good advice for reinstalling your new playfield, after you have spent MANY hours swapping parts! Just finishing my Diner PF swap. Diner has a bunch of parts on the back of the rear panel, so it is not a good idea to have the whole weight of the playfield on that panel. So this advice is good in the other direction too! Thanks, Bryan!

20200815_235918_HDR[1] (resized).jpg20200815_235918_HDR[1] (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Fort Worth, TX
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-a-system-11-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.