• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

684220F1-9F1A-4836-9183-4623203CAF3C.jpeg
AED30D13-7BA0-400B-8763-E231E11D7AE2.jpeg
#1 2 years ago

Can anyone tell me how the head is attached to a Gottlieb Caveman machine? I’m going to pick one up the weekend, and it’s too tall to fit in my Suburban with the head on. Is it just held on by bolts like most pinball machines of this era?

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Can anyone tell me how the head is attached to a Gottlieb Caveman machine? I’m going to pick one up the weekend, and it’s too tall to fit in my Suburban with the head on. Is it just held on by bolts like most pinball machines of this era?

It’s just bolted on. Make sure you removed ALL the connectors. There a tricky one for the lights that is a bit annoying to get to and you can accidently yank it right off. Caveman is obscenely heavy and I hope to never have to move mine up or down stairs again.

That being said, it’s an awesome game that gets waaaay too much hate!!

684220F1-9F1A-4836-9183-4623203CAF3C.jpeg684220F1-9F1A-4836-9183-4623203CAF3C.jpegAED30D13-7BA0-400B-8763-E231E11D7AE2.jpegAED30D13-7BA0-400B-8763-E231E11D7AE2.jpeg
#3 2 years ago

Ok, thanks!

#4 2 years ago

Be careful with the backbox. It's top heavy and can topple forward when unbolting it. It's usually a good idea to have someone else hang on to it so that it doesn't go anywhere.

It's actually so top heavy that sometimes the wood seams in the bottom corners split.

And yes, this game is a pretty heavy one.

#5 2 years ago

The Caveman and the Haunted House are truly back killers . In the Caveman there are several elements that weigh down the machine:the backbox, the monitor and the video block.

A trick to easily save a few pounds during transport is to remove the video block (provided you have tested the pinball before and be sure that it works before unplugging it). There are just three connectors to disconnect and the block is fixed by only 4 screws on the bottom of the case. It's quite easy and quick to disassemble, the weight of this "armored Gottlieb-style" block is far from negligible!

For the CRT video monitor, we still plan to replace it with a lighter VGA screen, but for the moment this project is postponed for lack of time.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-a-caveman-head and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.