(Topic ID: 242817)

Removed Free Play ( Or How I Brought Back that Nostalgic Feeling )

By tscottn

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pinkid
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

So my wife was playing our machine yesterday and she asked me what that little credit wheel was for, which I thought was very interesting.. I also noticed that she would manually restart a game whenever a ball in play drained too soon or her score was too low.. I tried to explain to her that when the game is set to take money then you could win free games and not have to put money in to start a game.. ( Needless to say I got the deer in the headlights look..)

So I started to think about it, and one thing I always felt was lacking in the home environment was a meaningful way of realizing the pursuit of winning a free game. This is why I always felt a "ADD A BALL" game would be more suited for the home.. but I digress.. So I decided to take it off free play just to get a feel for it. I was not sure if it would be too much of a pain in the butt to add a quarter for 2 credits every time I wanted to play..

Well, I have had it off free play for a few days now and I can honestly say that for me, this is the way to go. On free play the special being lit felt meaningless.. but now if I win a free game, at least I dont have to reach down and put a coin in the slot.. While not really a big deal, it does make a difference for me. And my wife now understands the reason behind the credit wheel and the Special being lit, etc.. How do you guys have your games setup? I suspect most is on free play, but for me, I doubt I will ever revert back to free play.

There is something just so nostalgic as well about adding a quarter to a old pinball machine, hearing the quarter hit the coin box and watching the credit wheel increase, ever knowing that when all your credits are gone, you have to reach in your pocket and add another coin to play again!

#2 4 years ago

For me, I always turn off the restart option on modern games. If you have a bad first ball... suck it up. You never know how the rest will be.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from monkeybug:

For me, I always turn off the restart option on modern games. If you have a bad first ball... suck it up. You never know how the rest will be.

I should note that this is a old em game so there is not such option..)

#4 4 years ago

Most of my games have coin mechs in them. I like them to be able to "coin up" if I wish. I usually just run up the credits and go from there. Extra ball is great, but I'd rather hear the knocker, even at home.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removed-free-play-and-went-back-to-quarters?hl=tscottn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.