Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

other_example_(resized).jpg
yellowed_lacquer_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I have been trying to repair this Gottlieb Bronco for several years now. I really want to get the yellowed lacquer off, but most everything I've tried (Magic Eraser, Naptha, acetone, 97% IPA, and Mean Green), have taken off too much ink/paint with the lacquer. Does anyone have any suggestion of how to dissolve this cracked, yellowed lacquer without destroying everything else? I know it may be impossible, but I thought I'd ask before I get any more destructive with it.

yellowed_lacquer_(resized).jpgyellowed_lacquer_(resized).jpg
other_example_(resized).jpgother_example_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

I would post the question in vid's ultimate playfield restoration guide (should be a sticky in the restoration section).

#3 7 years ago

Im assuming that anything that will remove laquer will also remove the paint. It wiuld be great if there was a product that didnt.
Has anybody tried carefully sanding to remove at a portion of the laquer without penetrating the paint ?

#4 7 years ago

problem with that, is the sand paper fills up right away, and becomes useless.
Very difficult to sand. paint will do that too.

#5 7 years ago

Can only suggest using a heat gun and a razor blade scraper. To add to this use the blade EXTREMELY CAREFULLY.

Keeping the blade as flat as possible against the underlying artwork. Let the heat soften the lacquer, then push the scraper into an edge of the lacquer. This will take a lot of time. "Wear eye protection incase a corner of the razor blade snaps off".

#6 7 years ago

I think just about anything I try is going to be time consuming, so that's okay. I'll give brute force sanding and heat/scrape a shot on some inconspicuous under plastic areas.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remove-yellowed-lacquer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.