Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 99 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by underlord
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

thumb_wheni-talk-on-the-phone-at-my-house-this-is-14991782 (resized).png
    SweetSweater (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 12.00.11 PM (resized).png
    top100 (resized).png
    top100.gif
    top100 (resized).JPG
    07F4A8C4-48E9-4414-BB15-B14DC437BB2E (resized).jpeg
    There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

Is there a way to remove the Top 100 from my Pinside user experience? I’m pretty sure it’s there permanently but I would find the option to remove it valuable.

07F4A8C4-48E9-4414-BB15-B14DC437BB2E (resized).jpeg07F4A8C4-48E9-4414-BB15-B14DC437BB2E (resized).jpeg
    #2 1 year ago

Don't click on it...?

#3 1 year ago

I always get a good laugh about people who get bent out of shape about the top 100, but this is next level lmao

#4 1 year ago

Put a piece of tape on your monitor to cover it

#5 1 year ago

It’s great for laughs. Keep it!

#6 1 year ago

I don't think they need to remove it, but they need to improve it.

#7 1 year ago

Need to get rid of that pesky 'Forums' tab too. It's just full of people babbling on about their pinball machines.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from SDpinballer:

Is there a way to remove the Top 100 from my Pinside user experience?

Nope.

#9 1 year ago

Have you tried white-out?

#11 1 year ago

I know I always say I’ve never been amazed and baffled about something here as I am on this….but I have to say is anything more amazing and baffling than the way the Pinside Top 100 lives in some pinsiders’ heads?

What is it about this list that keeps people up at night? How is something so easy to ignore such a contentious brain-melter?

#12 1 year ago

New design template suggestion

top100 (resized).JPGtop100 (resized).JPG
    #13 1 year ago

Are we now at the point if we don't agree with something or use a service we just get rid of it? I do not enjoy the McRib but I don't go into McDonalds and ask them to take down their sign because I don't want to look at it driving by.

#14 1 year ago

I just click these to see how many downvotes.
    Oh, and to downvote.

#15 1 year ago

it is possible.
    Open pinside then hide "top 100" with a piece of adhesive tape on the screen. Just Don't forget when scrolling. Repeate on all devices.
    there it is.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I know I always say I’ve never been amazed and baffled about something here as I am on this….but I have to say is anything more amazing and baffling than the way the Pinside Top 100 lives in some pinsiders’ heads?
    What is it about this list that keeps people up at night? How is something so easy to ignore such a contentious brain-melter?

I think it’s just that there’s nothing else to argue about.

Once we get that removed, pinside (and, most likely, all of human society) will finally be perfect.

#17 1 year ago

Screenshot is from 5:56 in the morning and your phone tells you you should be in bed. But did you stay up all night getting all worked up about this until you decided to screenshot or did you wake up in the morning and it was still the first thing on your mind? Or maybe you woke up from a nightmare about The top 100?

#19 1 year ago

Probably don't even need to do that. The free uBlock Origin extension already has features in it to block specific elements on a web page.

I don't really understand what the big deal is; removing the text isn't going to free up any useful space on the page, it's not a tracking beacon, nor anything else that seems clearly harmful or bandwidth-wasting. But if the goal is to get rid of it, there are ways that don't involve trying to convince the web site owner to change it.

#20 1 year ago

Looks like you know how to put a red circle with a line through it , maybe just scratch it out completely?

#21 1 year ago

Is there a way to remove posts that have been beat to death already in the past? Haha

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from pete_d:

But if the goal is to get rid of it

Just an attempt to clean up the experience. Thought there might be a setting that could enable/disable the feature. Couldn’t find that feature in settings, nor in forum search. But I also didn’t spend much time looking either. Thought I’d ask here.

Thank you. Helpful as usual.

#23 1 year ago
    top100.giftop100.gif
    #24 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrclean:

I don't think they need to remove it, but they need to improve it.

for sure, it is a pile

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

White out works I hear.

#26 1 year ago

The pinside top 100 is almost as offensive as the name Pussy Galore on the James Bond playfield!

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pablito350:

Have you tried white-out?

Quoted from gdonovan:

White out works I hear.

You writing jokes for James Corden again?

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

Are we now at the point if we don't agree with something or use a service we just get rid of it?

Have you not been paying attention to the country for the past 8 years? Add people with difference of opinion or thought to that list while you're at it.
    People only want to see what they like or what makes them feel good, otherwise it must be cleaved from their life, but not without a little social media grandstanding first.

#29 1 year ago

I don't write html but I'd try commenting out line 188...

top100 (resized).pngtop100 (resized).png
    #30 1 year ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

You writing jokes for James Corden again?

The joke pre-dates him being born.

How can you tell a blond has been using the word processor?

White out on the screen.

#31 1 year ago

I like this idea. Let’s face it, the Pinside 100 is offensive.

If they are not going to fix it, it would be more honest to just eliminate the rankings and change it to a review repository.

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

I like this idea. Let’s face it, the Pinside 100 is offensive.
    If they are not going to fix it, it would be more honest to just eliminate the rankings and change it to a review repository.

Why would they do that when having a top 100 list helps drive untold traffic to the site, which, in turn, pays their bills? It's probably the most successful advertisement for Pinside, and it costs them nothing. If you google "best pinball machines" (or a number of other searches) it's the number 1 listing.

If Pinside ran Pinside it would be tits up in a month.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why would they do that when having a top 100 list helps drive traffic to the site, which, in turn, pays their bills?
    If Pinside ran Pinside it would be tits up in a month.

I often think if Stern was run by Pinsiders, the same results.

#34 1 year ago

Put a piece of tape over it.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I often think if Stern was run by Pinsiders, the same results.

This site has tens of thousands of members. All of them have jobs, have areas of expertise, and would laugh at dumb suggestions that would destroy their employers or their own businesses.

Yet these people think nothing of making some of the dumbest suggestions imaginable that seem to have absolutely zero correlation to the reality of trying to run a profitable and successful business, and that they should do things thing "to give back to the community" or just because. There are people seriously suggesting that JJP could remain a viable pinball company by selling off Toy Story games for $7,000. There are people suggesting Stern should sell pros "without ramps" for $5,000. There are folks demanding JJP make a public apology to the community for their past greed and slash all of their prices to prove they are properly ashamed.

These are all ridiculous, company-killing suggestions. And that's just on a Monday.

It drives me nuts.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from SDpinballer:

Is there a way to remove the Top 100 from my Pinside user experience? I’m pretty sure it’s there permanently but I would find the option to remove it valuable.
    [quoted image]

<checks reaction>

"...and another thing. Can you also get rid of the thumbs up/down tab? I don't like that either."

#37 1 year ago

maybe I shouldn't throw a log on the fire, but what is so bad about the top 100? It seems reasonable enough, of course you're not going to agree with every ranking, which I think would apply to any subjective ranking system (songs, movies....etc)

#38 1 year ago

some people can't maintain their own opinions or things they like without validation from the herd. so for them its major cognitive dissonance when they see a Top 100 that doesn't match the list they have in their head.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from Xenon75:

some people can't maintain their own opinions or things they like without validation from the herd. so for them its major cognitive dissonance when they see a Top 100 that doesn't match the list they have in their head.

You just summed up all social media and how algorithms are ruining everything.

The ones complaining are used to living in echo chambers and blocking things that they dont like so they end up living in this weird disconnected from reality sanctuary. Only seeing what they want and only hearing from others that support what they want.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from Xenon75:

I have learned to take the top 100 with a large grain of salt and read the reviews with care.

Regardless there will be pins people rave about that are not to my taste just as there is pins I love that others abhor.

#41 1 year ago

This might be the dumbest request in the history of PinSide....and that says a lot

#42 1 year ago

The op has even rated 13 games for the TOP 100.
    Why rate the games? Makes no sense.

Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 12.00.11 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-11-07 at 12.00.11 PM (resized).png
    #43 1 year ago

Hmm...., never even noticed it was there. Probably because I don't pay attention to what others think I should like. YMMV.

John

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from slag:

I don't write html but I'd try commenting out line 188...
    [quoted image]

Hide it in CSS

.page_item pinside-color-green }
    color: #69cb39;
    visibility: hidden;
    }

#45 1 year ago

In all my years on this forum, I have clicked on it 2 times. Literally. I forget it's there until someone mentions it in a post. I have learned that my taste is different from a lot of people. I don't care for MM and sold it within 2 months of ownership. I also sold AF and STTNG. They scored fairly high in the top 100, when I checked a few years ago. I have no idea what the top 100 looks like today with all the new machines that have come out, but I'm not interested.

My keepers are AFM, MB, TZ, IJ and T2. T2 is one of my favorites, yet it rates low in the top 100, last time I checked. Point is, just don't click on it. Or are you just trying to send a passive/aggressive message?

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from SDpinballer:

Is there a way to remove the Top 100 from my Pinside user experience?

This is funny, back when RGP was the place to post and get help and argue about Stern build quality, I found Pinside because of the top 100, I was looking for the ipdb rankings cause someone was complaining about their favorite game getting trashed.

There was really not much going on with Pinside at that time so good thing they kept it.

#48 1 year ago

This is the cancel society that we now live in. I think posting of any kind on Pinside should be stopped after this one.

#49 1 year ago

I wish there was a button to remove the top 100 useless posts!

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

I wish there was a button to remove the top 100 useless posts!

You just have to use the already available button to remove the top 100 useless pinsiders.

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remove-top-100/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.