• Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1845 (resized).JPG
IMG_0023 (resized).JPG
435235.jpg
Birchwood-Casey-Perma-Blue-Liquid-Gun-Blue-Kit-for-Shotguns-and-Rifles-221571328047.jpg
20160906_190155 (resized).jpg
20160817_173442 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2016-09-06-18-59-10 (resized).png
pinside sm2 (resized).jpg
pinside sm1 (resized).jpg
1198089380-tools_and_machinery_021 (resized).jpg
IMG_1845 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider deanearp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

The picture is from the right ramp flap on my IJ pinball machine (sorry about the flash but you get the idea of what I'm dealing with). I was going to replace it but after reading about removing the rivets and then re-riveting, I am starting to think about re-bluing the ramp. I don't have any tools to put the rivets back in with and am worried that I could crack the plastic if I go with one of the less expensive riveting options (using a rollover die and hitting it with a hammer). Additionally, these ramps don't seem too easy to come by.
So, my question is has anybody salvaged a ramp flap that is pitted like the one pictured? If so, any hints would be great. Of course, I am open to any ideas that anybody has.

IMG_1845 (resized).JPGIMG_1845 (resized).JPG

#6 7 years ago

As I have read more, I am starting to think that putting rivets back in is something I can do. I have a nice drill press and with the head die on the base and the rollover die chucked in the press, I'd have a nice rivet press. I found a picture on line of what I'm gonna make (of course the rivet dies will be different than what is pictured, but you get the idea). My plan now is to dremel the rivets out then re-blue the ramp then re-attach. Of course, I'll practice first.

Anybody who has a critique about this idea, PLEASE chime in as sometimes something that seems like a good idea in theory is not good in practice.

1198089380-tools_and_machinery_021 (resized).jpg1198089380-tools_and_machinery_021 (resized).jpg

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

Gun Blue works well.
Any gun shops in Texas?

I don't know of any, Texans are not very fond of guns--most gun shops get run out of town pretty quick around here!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

I wouldn't hesitate to replace it, rivit it yourself if you are comfortable doing it. Greatest issue is making sure you have the proper rivet length.

Fortunately, Planetary Pinball has a parts manual and I was able to find the exact length of the rivet. I am one of those hard headed types that likes to try things that are new. Getting that part of, taking the blue off, buffing it with steel wool, then re-bluing and re-riveting it back on is the "right way" to do it. If I am going to get good at restoring then I need to learn the skills. Hopefully, no cracks!!

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

You will do fine, not that hard. I would consider buying a new flap, pre blued, if you can. You can certainly buff off the rust and polish it, but the bluing kits can't match the finish or durability of the factory heated process.

I looked all over for replacement ramp flaps for IJ. The only place I found them was at Pinbits but unfortunately I have not gotten a response to an e-mail and also when I call their number there is some recording that "call cannot be completed".

Anybody know of any other place that has replacement ramps?

#28 7 years ago

So here is the update. After then before pics below. I ended up taking the ramp flap off the plastic ramp. Did that by using a Dremel with the cut-off wheel and removed the rolled over part of the rivets. Then removed the old bluing with Birchwood-Casey Blu and Rust Remover. After that, some sanding down, then buffing with steel wool. After that, heated up the flap on the stove and submerged it in a bowl of the Perma Blue. For anybody who is going to do this, the instructions do not mention getting the metal hot but, trust me, you will get MUCH deeper bluing if the metal is HOT. You want it hot enough to hear a "sizzle" when you put it in the Perma Blue. Repeated this about 3 times. Then rubbed it down with some gun oil, let it cure overnight. Then applied some paste wax and re-riveted it on. Regarding rivets, get the dies and rivets from pinrestore.com. Get the bottom and top dies, use a drill press if you've got one, works awesome. Just thought I'd share so if somebody needs to do this, they'll have this as an option to help. Thanks to all of you who gave me advice, I appreciate it very much.

IMG_0023 (resized).JPGIMG_0023 (resized).JPG
IMG_1845 (resized).JPGIMG_1845 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1,419.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels
Other
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 63.95
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC
Toppers
$ 49.99
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Wanted
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider deanearp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remove-rust-from-ramp-flap?tu=deanearp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.