• Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1845 (resized).JPG
IMG_0023 (resized).JPG
435235.jpg
Birchwood-Casey-Perma-Blue-Liquid-Gun-Blue-Kit-for-Shotguns-and-Rifles-221571328047.jpg
20160906_190155 (resized).jpg
20160817_173442 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2016-09-06-18-59-10 (resized).png
pinside sm2 (resized).jpg
pinside sm1 (resized).jpg
1198089380-tools_and_machinery_021 (resized).jpg
IMG_1845 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

The picture is from the right ramp flap on my IJ pinball machine (sorry about the flash but you get the idea of what I'm dealing with). I was going to replace it but after reading about removing the rivets and then re-riveting, I am starting to think about re-bluing the ramp. I don't have any tools to put the rivets back in with and am worried that I could crack the plastic if I go with one of the less expensive riveting options (using a rollover die and hitting it with a hammer). Additionally, these ramps don't seem too easy to come by.
So, my question is has anybody salvaged a ramp flap that is pitted like the one pictured? If so, any hints would be great. Of course, I am open to any ideas that anybody has.

IMG_1845 (resized).JPGIMG_1845 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

I dunked mine in evaporust for a few days. Got rid of the rust but left some dark pitting. Then I sanded it forever till it was shiny again. Left it like that, but I think the proper course would be to use a bluing kit to get it the right color again. Not sure how the bluing will react with the plastic... Not sure if the evaporust is useful since you have to sand after anyways, but if you do use it, make sure all of the metal is in, otherwise you'll leave a line you can never fix :/

#3 7 years ago

IMO that one's not bad enough to mess with...

#4 7 years ago

You don't have to remove it from the ramp to use evaporust. I wouldn't submerge the decals though. I don't think it would damage them big the moisture probably would.

#5 7 years ago

I would prefer not to use a liquid like evaporust since it's almost impossible to get any moisture out from between the ramp flap and the plastic (if there's any moisture left it will rust again very quickly). I would use sandpaper or a dremel tool with abrasive buffs. It's difficult to get the bluing to turn out well, but will probably look better than it does now. After bluing flush the area with alcohol and squeeze paper towels between the metal and plastic to remove any moisture. Air compressor or canned air will also help.

It can be done, but the best bet is to find someone local with the setup to press the rivets for you. You could post on here and probably get someone to help you out.

#6 7 years ago

As I have read more, I am starting to think that putting rivets back in is something I can do. I have a nice drill press and with the head die on the base and the rollover die chucked in the press, I'd have a nice rivet press. I found a picture on line of what I'm gonna make (of course the rivet dies will be different than what is pictured, but you get the idea). My plan now is to dremel the rivets out then re-blue the ramp then re-attach. Of course, I'll practice first.

Anybody who has a critique about this idea, PLEASE chime in as sometimes something that seems like a good idea in theory is not good in practice.

1198089380-tools_and_machinery_021 (resized).jpg1198089380-tools_and_machinery_021 (resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

I use my drill press for the same thing works great. Mike

#8 7 years ago

Gun Blue works well.

Any gun shops in Texas?

#9 7 years ago

There are rust neutralizing pens in auto supply.

If the flap is a dark blue, and the rust isnt raised, the neutralizer turns rust black, and in some cases
blends well. Mask off playfield well first, if testing in game.

There are also spot sanding pens...on my list to try....

ebay.com link: sch

#10 7 years ago

...or use it as an opportunity to experiment.

Alan

pinside sm1 (resized).jpgpinside sm1 (resized).jpg

pinside sm2 (resized).jpgpinside sm2 (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from P2K:

...or use it as an opportunity to experiment.
Alan

Is that a replacement? Looks good!

#12 7 years ago

Carbon Fiber...find it on Ebay.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

Gun Blue works well.
Any gun shops in Texas?

I don't know of any, Texans are not very fond of guns--most gun shops get run out of town pretty quick around here!

#14 7 years ago

Pinbits makes stainless steel replacement ramp flaps and they work great. You would obviously still have to deal with the riveting. I made a rivet press but sometimes in tight spots I have to use a hammer. I haven't had a ramp crack on me yet. I redid a Jokerz center ramp and was able to press most of them but had to hammer a couple.

#15 7 years ago

Early on, when I was afraid to rivet, I found small chrome or brass with no slots and small nuts, I used these, and added some Loctite to the nut with tightening, and never heard or saw an issue....a bit of a cheating way, but no fear, easy, done in minutes back to a new metal ramp.

#16 7 years ago

You can soak some evaporust in a paper towel and lay it down on the affected area. It's not quite as good as submerging, but it may help. I've done this for siderails.

#17 7 years ago

I wouldn't hesitate to replace it, rivit it yourself if you are comfortable doing it. Greatest issue is making sure you have the proper rivet length.

#18 7 years ago

That should Polish right off just tape off area with masking tape, I like to use autosol metal polish, or you could use that wading polish from the auto parts store.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

I wouldn't hesitate to replace it, rivit it yourself if you are comfortable doing it. Greatest issue is making sure you have the proper rivet length.

Fortunately, Planetary Pinball has a parts manual and I was able to find the exact length of the rivet. I am one of those hard headed types that likes to try things that are new. Getting that part of, taking the blue off, buffing it with steel wool, then re-bluing and re-riveting it back on is the "right way" to do it. If I am going to get good at restoring then I need to learn the skills. Hopefully, no cracks!!

#20 7 years ago

I know the OP said no liquids, but just as a suggestion for any rusty metal part soaking in white vinegar works pretty well on Rust.

I can't vouch for Evaporust as I've never tried it, has anyone compared Evaporust to Vinegar?

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from deanearp:

Fortunately, Planetary Pinball has a parts manual and I was able to find the exact length of the rivet. I am one of those hard headed types that likes to try things that are new. Getting that part of, taking the blue off, buffing it with steel wool, then re-bluing and re-riveting it back on is the "right way" to do it. If I am going to get good at restoring then I need to learn the skills. Hopefully, no cracks!!

You will do fine, not that hard. I would consider buying a new flap, pre blued, if you can. You can certainly buff off the rust and polish it, but the bluing kits can't match the finish or durability of the factory heated process.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

You will do fine, not that hard. I would consider buying a new flap, pre blued, if you can. You can certainly buff off the rust and polish it, but the bluing kits can't match the finish or durability of the factory heated process.

I looked all over for replacement ramp flaps for IJ. The only place I found them was at Pinbits but unfortunately I have not gotten a response to an e-mail and also when I call their number there is some recording that "call cannot be completed".

Anybody know of any other place that has replacement ramps?

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from deanearp:

I looked all over for replacement ramp flaps for IJ. The only place I found them was at Pinbits but unfortunately I have not gotten a response to an e-mail and also when I call their number there is some recording that "call cannot be completed".
Anybody know of any other place that has replacement ramps?

You should be able to order from them online. I've bought the stainless steel flaps for BSD, ToM and they are great. They will never rust again and no lengthy process of cleaning and rebluing( I've done it). Or trying to cut your own (tried it) cant beat ones that are stamped out. Just drill out and install the new ones. I believe they also include press-less rivets for those who do not have a rivet press.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Playmatic:

I know the OP said no liquids, but just as a suggestion for any rusty metal part soaking in white vinegar works pretty well on Rust.
I can't vouch for Evaporust as I've never tried it, has anyone compared Evaporust to Vinegar?

White Vinegar will do a good job on new rust, and light surface rust, for me. (different brands)
Evaporust will knock out 30 years of rust.

When in doubt, vinegar is cheap, and you can start there.....dont leave too long in any rust removing product.

If dull, it can be buffed, if you take a wire brush etc, rust can come off easier, but buffing can be harder to removes these new "scratches"....

#25 7 years ago

I've has some pretty good results with Eagle One never dull wadding polish. Here are T3 before & after.

Screenshot_2016-09-06-18-59-10 (resized).pngScreenshot_2016-09-06-18-59-10 (resized).png

20160817_173442 (resized).jpg20160817_173442 (resized).jpg

20160906_190155 (resized).jpg20160906_190155 (resized).jpg

#26 7 years ago

I would just use 0000 steel wool and a little oil.Works for me.

#27 7 years ago

This is 100% definitive proper method.

Birchwood-Casey

Look at these photos, buy the entire kit (don't cheap out), read the instructions, follow the instructions, and apply properly.
Remove the ramps from the game!
You need to make sure you silicon wipe with Barricade after application for even color.
Your spring steel ramp flaps will look BRAND NEW.
Do not jump steps, do the work properly.
Take the preparation time for best results.

NEVR-DULL is good for a few small spots.
Alternatively, you can pop rivet new ones inexpensively.

Birchwood-Casey-Perma-Blue-Liquid-Gun-Blue-Kit-for-Shotguns-and-Rifles-221571328047.jpgBirchwood-Casey-Perma-Blue-Liquid-Gun-Blue-Kit-for-Shotguns-and-Rifles-221571328047.jpg

435235.jpg435235.jpg

#28 7 years ago

So here is the update. After then before pics below. I ended up taking the ramp flap off the plastic ramp. Did that by using a Dremel with the cut-off wheel and removed the rolled over part of the rivets. Then removed the old bluing with Birchwood-Casey Blu and Rust Remover. After that, some sanding down, then buffing with steel wool. After that, heated up the flap on the stove and submerged it in a bowl of the Perma Blue. For anybody who is going to do this, the instructions do not mention getting the metal hot but, trust me, you will get MUCH deeper bluing if the metal is HOT. You want it hot enough to hear a "sizzle" when you put it in the Perma Blue. Repeated this about 3 times. Then rubbed it down with some gun oil, let it cure overnight. Then applied some paste wax and re-riveted it on. Regarding rivets, get the dies and rivets from pinrestore.com. Get the bottom and top dies, use a drill press if you've got one, works awesome. Just thought I'd share so if somebody needs to do this, they'll have this as an option to help. Thanks to all of you who gave me advice, I appreciate it very much.

IMG_0023 (resized).JPGIMG_0023 (resized).JPG
IMG_1845 (resized).JPGIMG_1845 (resized).JPG

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

I've has some pretty good results with Eagle One never dull wadding polish. Here are T3 before & after.

Yep this is all i use on my 24inch chrome wheels and pinball parts and it works really well

1 year later
#30 5 years ago

Anybody saw video tutorial how to restore pinball flaps? i made as i read in instruction, but i have not solid layer, somewhere darker somewhere lighter. Any ideas what i made wrong?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Wanted
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

14,000 (OBO)
$ 1,419.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,500 (OBO)
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remove-rust-from-ramp-flap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.