• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5505.jpg
IMG_5504.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hey everyone, I'm in the middle of a tear down on my Baywatch. Curious how I'm supposed to remove the metal lane guides. It seems they are just "pressed" in. Am I supposed to take a punch and hammer out from the bottom, or not remove at all and leave as is... or...? Any help would be appreciated. Images of an example attached.

IMG_5504.jpgIMG_5504.jpg

IMG_5505.jpgIMG_5505.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I'd leave them.

Just hand polish them w/ Mothers mag and aluminum polish

#3 8 years ago

What are you removing them for? If you're just tearing everything down to clean it I would leave them alone.

#4 8 years ago

I was wanting to get all items off the playfield so I could clean/wax everything really well without having to dodge objects. I also wanted to clean/polish all the parts really well as indypinhead eluded to. So it's not suggested to remove them? Just as a piece of advice, how would you go about removing them? Or is there not an easy way to re-attach? This is my first pin, and my first tear down, so comments are appreciated.

#5 8 years ago

Usually I can pull them out by hand. Otherwise, I use pliers.

#6 8 years ago

Be careful, some of those have "wings" on them, they can pull up the top ply of the playfield. Ideally it is best to slip a flat U shaped piece of metal around the post and gently pry it out, a little on each side until it comes out.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

So it's not suggested to remove them?

It might be going overboard....I mean to be it certain(t)ly is. I just shopped a Baywatch last week and I don't see the point. I assume these are behind the ramp cluster by the pops? The metal guides you'll never see again in your life? See where I'm going here?

#8 8 years ago

I would leave them in, not too hard to clean around them.

But if you mean to tumble them or something, put a rag down to protect the playfield and pry up with a small plastic pry bar.

See Vid's advice here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/3#post-638971

#9 8 years ago

You run the risk of damaging the playfield art....just leave them in.

#10 8 years ago

Thanks for the comments! That makes me quite nervous to remove these and possibly take a chunk off the playfield surface. As for the location of the ones selected for photos. They were just easy to show. These are all over the play field (as I'm sure you're aware). Stinks they can't be removed easily.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Stinks they can't be removed easily.

Hey if they could you'd get annoyed at them falling off every time a fat steel ball hit them

#12 8 years ago

would you still leave them in if clear coating?

#13 8 years ago

It's really not that big a deal, just read the link above to vid's guide and follow his directions.

#14 8 years ago

unless you have to remove them you might be better off to just work around them, I pulled some with the tabs and it lifted some of the artwork around it.

#15 8 years ago

I take a piece of wood with felt on the bottom or other protective layer and then use a flat bar to SLOWLY work each side up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 259.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
$ 22.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remove-lane-guides and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.