Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jfesler
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fhink.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Any ideas on how to remove ink pen ink from playfield? The kind of ink that some 6 year old kid used to write his name on a playfield probably 30 years ago? Novus did nothing, alcohol did nothing...considering magic eraser but I can't imagine that won't start to take off playfield art before it gets to the ink...any thoughts?

#2 8 years ago

Is it on the playfield paint or written on the Mylar?

#3 8 years ago

I'd find that kid and kick his ass. If he wrote his name we now have the internet - we can find the bastard.

Sorry I didn't have anything real to contribute but that.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballSTAR:

I'd find that kid and kick his ass. If he wrote his name we now have the internet - we can find the bastard.

Yeah, I'm tired of people writing on things! It's time to make a stand!

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Is it on the playfield paint or written on the Mylar?

It's an EM so there's no mylar involved...and if I track that kid down he is toast.

So it's directly on the paint...ball point pen...ink has cured for a few decades

#7 8 years ago

The kids name is not Steve or Mark Ritchie is it? (Just Joking Here, ).

Warning! The following suggestions must be used with extreme care. Warning!

Okay You tried Novus, Do have any Car Detailer friends? They might give you a small amount of a polish/compound for Clear Coat Paint. It has to be for Clear Coat Paint. Those harsh rubbing compounds that contain grit, I would avoid using them. Or use as a last resort.

There is that OXY CLEAN, it is suppose to remove most ink. Get the powder OXY Clean mix some up a small batch. With a rag, work it onto the inked area. Be careful, it does bleach many surfaces. If you see any colour change wipe or dab it off carefully. Can you use both the Oxy Clean and the Magic Eraser, I have never tried this on a pinball playfield before. I've used the Oxy on an ink stain but it was on fabric. The ink came right out, with success.

If the damage was caused by a ball point pen, there could be a depression still remaining in the wood. Even though you have removed the ink colour.

Good Luck.

#8 8 years ago

Fingernail polish 100% acetone

#9 8 years ago

Magic eraser and 97% alcohol. Took ball point pen off my 60s Gottlieb.

#10 8 years ago

You need 99% isopropyl alcohol not that silly 70% stuff from the grocery store.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

Magic eraser and 97% alcohol. Took ball point pen off my 60s Gottlieb.

Will give this a shot next. Thanks

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Will give this a shot next. Thanks

It "works" until it doesn't I guess...starts to take ink off but that happens when it's "just" about to take paint off so you get some of the ink but then, wham you are just about through the paint.

#13 8 years ago

how bout lighter fluid or acetone? That might work but were starting to get into danger area with those

--Jeff

#14 8 years ago

Acetone will strip any paint in a hurry - keep that far away from any playfields!

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

how bout lighter fluid or acetone? That might work but were starting to get into danger area with those

Yeah, this is a lost cause I'm afraid...they are small marks. I'm doing more harm trying to get them out I think. You win, kids from decades ago...

#16 8 years ago

The artwork is simple enough to get the play field restored, if there is enough sentimental value for it. The only complex art is in the plastic.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remove-ink-pen-writing-from-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.