New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 272732)

Remove Em bottom board?

By BBC

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by RonSS
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 months ago

Hi, has anyone documented how to remove the bottom board in a em? I have an old Chicago I would like to take the bottom board out to work on (the one with the score motor on it). Is it a huge pain? It is a pain in the back right now leaning over into it!! Thanks.

#2 3 months ago

Take out the playfield, there should be 4 bolts on the corners fastening it to the cabinet. The bottom can be lifted out and placed on top of the cabinet to save on the back

Pretty straight-forward but use good lifting techniques.

Earlier Bally games had what I call a kickstand and a real pleasure to work on. https://www.ipdb.org/files/201/Bally_1966_Bazaar_New_Lift_Out_Mounting_Board_Instructions.pdf

#3 3 months ago

There’s also sometimes 1 screw somewhere in the middle of the front third of the playfield also holding it down. If after taking out the four bolts it won’t budge, look for a screw head that isn’t attaching anything to the board. Also, don’t forget to unplug the jones plugs from the bottom board. Easy once you’ve done it once.

#4 3 months ago
Quoted from BBC:

Hi, has anyone documented how to remove the bottom board in a em? I have an old Chicago I would like to take the bottom board out to work on (the one with the score motor on it). Is it a huge pain? It is a pain in the back right now leaning over into it!! Thanks.

In my Freedom, it only has 2 bolts, on in the upper middle of the bottom score motor, and one in the back middle of the scoreboard.

#5 3 months ago

Old Chicago is definitely four bolts, two on each side. Maybe 1 screw.

#6 3 months ago

Will I need to disconnect any other wiring except the Jones plugs? Thanks.

#7 3 months ago

That should be it. Just get a good look around the perimeter of the board and if everything's disconnected, you should be ready to lift it out. Servicing is *way* easier on a table or work bench.

#8 3 months ago

Probably need to unplug the chime box and knocker too. I usually temporarily remove the chime box as it's in the way when you lift the relay panel up and out. Make sure the power cord has lots of slack too.

#9 3 months ago
Quoted from frunch:

Servicing is *way* easier on a table or work bench.

Or on a playfield rotisserie.

#10 3 months ago

These components are all put together on separate lines and assembled into the cabinets. There made to be literally plug n play.

#11 3 months ago

Take some pics of where things go before. Ya know, just in case.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 2.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 20.90
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Haus
$ 110.00
Boards
AMCO
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 199.99
$ 299.00
Displays
Boston Pinball Company
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 129.00
Displays
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 33.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside