(Topic ID: 94891)

Remove dried-up rubber from plastic posts?

By jibmums

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

What's the easiest way to remove dried-up rubber stuck to plastic posts, using stuff around the house? I've soaked them in Simple Green and in 91% Alcohol, to no effect. Is there anything that will loosen/soften the rubber but not harm the plastic?

#2 9 years ago

I've had good luck removing dried rubber with an ultrasonic cleaner and a 50/50 mix of hot water and Mean Green. After 5 minutes most of the rubber is gone and the bits still attached are loose enough to remove with a toothbrush.

#3 9 years ago

A little lighter fluid usually works nicely.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

A little lighter fluid usually works nicely.

Like Naphtha? that won't attack/soften/melt the plastic?

The Simply Green seems to be working, just slowwwwwwly.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Like Naphtha? that won't attack/soften/melt the plastic?

It does not attack any flipper or post plastic I've ever tried it on.

Like they always say, test in an inconspicuous area, lol.

#6 9 years ago

I use lighter fluid.

#7 9 years ago

Pinball lifes rubber cleaner is very impressive

#8 9 years ago

I have not tried it on plastic posts, but whenever I've had a tough stain to get rid of, white vinegar usually does the job.

#9 9 years ago

The easiest way is to buy new plastic posts. A quart of Naphtha will cost about the same as 20 new posts. And a lot less messy/time consuming.

#10 9 years ago

I assumed Jib was asking about some older machine with no new posts available (or that the new ones are "too white").

If new posts can be bought, toss those old, faded ones in the trash.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remove-dried-up-rubber-from-plastic-posts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.