• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F2E44C1C-874D-46CE-9F80-D8D0463DBC2A (resized).jpeg
8990D84D-6E4A-49DB-8B21-CAF0350FA97E (resized).jpeg
74925F81-63A1-4D75-893A-F2491FDAB74E (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

This is my first post - I've just purchased my first machine, a Captain Fantastic in "ok" shape - and I'll be picking it up this week. It seems safest to remove the backbox before putting it on a truck and I'm looking for some advice. Is it necessary to remove the backbox? If not, how should it be transported or packed? If so, how easy is it to take it off and how would I do that? After getting this home, I'll have a number of questions. There's a nice buzz when the machine turned on and although it lights up. it won't put the ball out, so this will be a work in progress.

Thanks in advance for any advice! I was psyched to find this community.

#2 1 year ago

*Sorry Wrong Era, see below.
Transport glass buy itself and protected most people will say

#3 1 year ago

I find it easier to move early game with the head removed. There will be some Jones plugs to remove. They are the wiring connectors that connect the head and cabinet. Don't worry, they are keyed and can't be hooked up wrong. Scrub the metal plugs with a green scotch brite to clean them before plugging them back in. The head is held on with a few bolts inside the head. Very easy. Just have someone holding it in place when removing the bolts.

Once the head is off, shove the power cord inside. Remove the pinball and any loose parts in the lower cabinet. With someone holding the rear cabinet, remove the rear legs. Lower it and stand it up on the back. Pull the front legs and it's ready for a dolly.

Good luck and welcome!

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Speck:

Is it necessary to remove the backbox?

Yes, otherwise you risk it getting torn off the game when it's bouncing around in your vehicle.

Quoted from Speck:

There's a nice buzz when the machine turned on

Could be the lockout relay on the coin door, which can be normal. Although, it's probably a good idea to check the game out to determine the source to make sure that it's not something else.

#5 1 year ago

Always fold down or remove the backbox when you transport a game, otherwise they can get ripped off. Safest place to transport the backglass is in the game.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Glass off and swing lightboard open and there should be a 4 bolts. Remove and head comes right off, after removing board connectors.
Transport glass buy itself and protected most people will say

Wrong style...

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Wrong style...

Ohhh is this the home version thinggy?

#8 1 year ago

thanks everyone! vec-tor, glass off is the wrong style? meaning that's not how the backbox comes off of Captain Fantastic? if anyone has any pics of what to remove, where the bolts are, size of bolts, it would be much appreciated. I haven't opened up a pinball machine since 1980 or so (had a Spirit Of 76!)
I'm not sure if this is the home version or the arcade version

#9 1 year ago

Captain Fantastic commercial opens from the back. Glass does NOT have to come off to get to the four bolts.

Remember to unplug the Jones Plugs from the bottom cab.

#10 1 year ago

And my personal preference is to transport the glass in the head. It's braced better. Wrap up the head with blanket/padding and transport inside your vehicle

#11 1 year ago

Here's pictures

74925F81-63A1-4D75-893A-F2491FDAB74E (resized).jpeg74925F81-63A1-4D75-893A-F2491FDAB74E (resized).jpeg8990D84D-6E4A-49DB-8B21-CAF0350FA97E (resized).jpeg8990D84D-6E4A-49DB-8B21-CAF0350FA97E (resized).jpegF2E44C1C-874D-46CE-9F80-D8D0463DBC2A (resized).jpegF2E44C1C-874D-46CE-9F80-D8D0463DBC2A (resized).jpeg

#12 1 year ago

Oh Man - you're the best. Now I have to see if it's the commercial version or the home. I'll check before I pick it up. it's in a warehouse.

#13 1 year ago

Happy to help.

My CF went from a moldy project to a restored game (with a Lotta help from my friends!). Those pictures are "before" shots.

Unfortunately while moving it, the legs caught on some boxes, and kablamm it went over on its side. Backglass broken, head completely separated and cab askew.

It's now back to a project with a great CPR swapped pf with Yoppsycles.

#14 1 year ago

yeek - I feel for you. The one I bought is a bit of a mess, they covered the sides with vinyl and I'll need to figure out how to peel that off without destroying the paint. Once I get it home I'll know how big a project this will be, but it was at a good price so I don't mind. I don't have the skills to restore myself so will have to find some help.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Speck:

Now I have to see if it's the commercial version or the home.

Home version doesn't have a coin door. Avoid.

#16 1 year ago

I have a coin door - so that answers that.

#17 1 year ago

Heat gun or hair dryer will losen up vinyl. But the paint underneath is probably in bad shape, hense the vinyl.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from Dogford_Studios:

Heat gun or hair dryer will losen up vinyl. But the paint underneath is probably in bad shape, hense the vinyl.

very possibly - but we'll see soon enough. The seller said that he put the vinyl on because he thought it made it look cooler - he didn't like how "old" it looked. I pulled back a small amount and it was taking paint with it. I'll definitely try the heat gun.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

Here's pictures
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I’m trying to unplug the Jones plugs but the ones that are connected to the head seem to be screwed down to the cabinet. Any thoughts?

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from Speck:

I’m trying to unplug the Jones plugs but the ones that are connected to the head seem to be screwed down to the cabinet. Any thoughts?

Actually, never mind I figured it out. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodhaven, MI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remove-backbox-from-captain-fantastic- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.