Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by newmantjn
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2070 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2071 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2065 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider newmantjn.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Anybody have a procedure for removing and replacing the middle of this pop bumper cap? Yes, I know you can buy the whole thing from PBR. I would like to save the original marbled outer ring. Looking for what tools you used, how you specified your special order to Steve and what glue you used to install the new one.

IMG_2065 (resized).jpgIMG_2065 (resized).jpg
    #3 4 years ago

Here is my removal process. Still need to put the new ones in. Will probably uses epoxy of some sort.

IMG_2070 (resized).jpgIMG_2070 (resized).jpgIMG_2071 (resized).jpgIMG_2071 (resized).jpg
    #6 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

I had never heard of a forstner bit prior to a repair to a Midway Sea Raider cabinet and then bought a set and have used them frequently. They certainly give a precise and accurate cut. Very helpful vid.

The other thing about them is that they don't need a center pilot. You can cut a half moon or whatever.

I just grabbed it because it fit. I reached for a hole saw first, but I didn't have the correct size. It probably would have worked better.

I got mine here:
    https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/forset1.htm?zoom_highlight=forstner

Th

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

So you used a forstner bit? What diameter did the trick?

Goddammit, Mike, you gotta listen to the video. I used 1-5/16", only because it was the biggest I had. Probably left about 1/8" all the way around that needed to be pulled out.

In other news, Steve refused to sell me either the inserts alone or unattached. He said that they would not fit. Clay claims they are "close enough". I really wasn't in the mood to argue for 10 minutes over that, so I quickly gave up and asked for the whole thing. I may cut them out with a band saw if I feel that they are "close enough" when they arrive.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

The question is how you're buying all those whole caps in the hope they're going to work. That's a nice piece of change if they aren't close enough. But I guess in that case you'll have to use what he sends you. Still cool attempt at saving the cap.

The originals were not going to cut it regardless. They were pretty much scrap. About half actually had a hole in them. Realistically, I'll probably lose interest and just install the ones he gives me. I will probably look them over carefully and see if i can somehow cut the insert out. Doing this, 'm risking one at worst because if it didn't work, I wouldn't do the others. I've been fiddling around with this machine for a year off and on and I'm about ready to be done with it.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

That’s a suck that Steve won’t sell just the inserts. Although he may not be able to apply the art if it isn’t mounted into the ring.

I’m still with you the marbled surrounds are much nicer than new.

This is not an original idea. Clay has done this, but he mentioned that Steve always tries to "cock block" him on it. He eventually wears him down and get the parts. I just don't/didn't feel like getting into a pissing match with Steve on it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider newmantjn.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remove-and-replace-pop-bumper-cap-middle-section?tu=newmantjn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.