Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by robin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2014-11-04 14.48.52.png
    Screenshot 2014-11-04 10.11.37.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 9 years ago

Sorry for my slow reply.

I would like to keep "old" locations on the map as a reference, for the purpose of telling people that the location they may have visited before now no longer has pins. This as opposed to not showing the location at all and people potentially adding a location "from memory" when the current situation is that it has no more games.

What's more, a location might get games back and then we can simply add them to the locations entry because it still exists and with that we'll also keep old comments, photos, bookmarks etc. for a location.

I have recently (September I think it was) added game count to the map indicator icons. A location with no more games show a 0 (zero) now.

Any other ideas how to improve are welcome!

Screenshot 2014-11-04 10.11.37.pngScreenshot 2014-11-04 10.11.37.png
    #18 9 years ago

Well, the location dots already show the number of games. And more games = bigger dot.

Screenshot 2014-11-04 14.48.52.pngScreenshot 2014-11-04 14.48.52.png

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

So if some one had memory of a place in the 70's that had machines, they'd should put it on the map with no games?

Nope, doesn't work the other way around

Maybe we should go for an expiring date for locations that have zero games. Delete them after a year of not having games. Or two years maybe. Could be done easily.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I would still like an easy user rating guide so people can easily star the good or bad locations based on game condition. It would be great to know when visiting a good town which spots have the best playing games (condition of game and how well maintained is the most important to me)

Rating locations was on my to-do list, but other stuff got in the way.

#25 9 years ago

I have just deleted all locations with game count 0 that haven't been edited in a year.
    It affected 287 locations.

Thanks for reporting duplicates. I will see if I can automate that process a little.

...on that subject. Maybe we should have a map administrator? Someone who will handle Pinside map change requests, duplicates, wrong location markers etc? LaughinOtter did this some years back, but never officially. Who has affinity with the map and wants to help improve it? PM me if you're interested ... and have the time to do this!

3 years later
    #28 5 years ago

I have always been kind of opposed to deleting locations as I think it's more informative to show that a location NO LONGER has games instead of leaving people wondering "hey didn't this or that pub have games". By leaving the location page up and having it appear gameless and with a mention "this location no longer has any games to play" it is much clearer that the location used to have games but not anymore.

Another good reason is that locations might be only temporarily without games. Deleting them would remove their entire history and also make Google search link to non-existent location pages on Pinside.

I could perhaps change the map filter to default to locations that have >=1 game(s). Would that help?

And perhaps we need to have a better indication on the map that a location is "gameless"? We already show a zero for game count, but perhaps also show in a different color or something?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removal-of-locations-with-no-pinball-machines-from-pin-map?tu=robin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.