(Topic ID: 277770)

Remote controlled wall switch and outlet

By RC_like_the_cola

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

My main gameroom has several outlets that I wired to be controlled by wall switches during the finishing phase. Never imagined I'd outgrow it, but I am. My smaller gameroom does not have this luxury, so I was looking at this option.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Wireless-Remote-Wall-Switch-Light-Control-with-Grounded-Outlet-Receiver-18279/204397451?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&mtc=Shopping-VF-F_D27E-G-D27E-27_2_WIRING_DEVICES-MULTI-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-WIRING_DEVICES&cm_mmc=Shopping-VF-F_D27E-G-D27E-27_2_WIRING_DEVICES-MULTI-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-WIRING_DEVICES-71700000033102358-58700003867202208-92700048704098222&gclid=CjwKCAjw2Jb7BRBHEiwAXTR4je19z69gRJSmoUzQxnPZ2MjehKrvpUj7xjjVzxRXHg2lCrrYyS26dxoCcUAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This way, I could turn the 4 pins in that room on with a switch like the other room right next to it. My only concern is it says Ideal for lamps, indoor and seasonal lighting. Worried about the amperage. My plan would be to get one of these and have that control a power strip with the 4 pins plugged into it. Would that be too much? I can't wire that room like the other without significant drywall work and I'd like to avoid that for now.

Thanks for looking.

#2 3 years ago

I am assuming you have WiFi and a smart phone in your house? If so, I wouldn't spend any money on those, and just move up to wifi enabled devices. They are super convenient, and you can mix and match as you please.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I am assuming you have WiFi and a smart phone in your house? If so, I wouldn't spend any money on those, and just move up to wifi enabled devices. They are super convenient, and you can mix and match as you please.

I'm trying to get something that matches the rest of the aesthetics and this one does.

#4 3 years ago

The specs on that says 12 amps. That would be cutting it close for some pins, especially when you power up 4 pins at a time. The surge may exceed 12 amps.

#5 3 years ago

I didn’t see the amp rating but it won’t be higher than 15a. You need to know what the “start” ,and “run” amps are of your machines, and what are other devices are plugged into that electrical line on that breaker. You wont be able to have more than 20a plugged into one breaker in your service panel. Typically lights have 15a cb, outlets are 20a, other stuff req 240 will be on 2pole 20a or 30a cb’s

#6 3 years ago

Gotcha thanks. I guess I'll just turn them on one at a time in that room. Thanks all.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remote-controlled-wall-switch-and-outlet?hl=boblabla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.