Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by matt795
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gamerm.jpg
    SAM_1328.JPG
    SAM_1327.JPG
    SAM_1326.JPG
    SAM_1324.JPG
    20131130_113430.jpg
    20131130_113342.jpg
    IMG_5475.JPG
    IMG_5474.JPG
    IMG_5473.JPG
    IMG_5478.JPG
    IMG_5476.JPG
    IMG_5480.JPG
    20131129_192434.jpg
    There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16803193013

Black Friday sale, normally $40. I'm going to try this for under-cabinet lighting.

But first I'm going to install it under my desk at work and freak everyone out.

#2 10 years ago

Cool. Thanks for posting this.
    I have a couple of them that are similar/same. They really are pretty cool, no matter what you use them for.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#3 10 years ago

You can find these with remotes as low as $10 on ebay

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

These are the best...
    amazon.com link »

Those are the ones I bought before. I think they are identical to those the OP noted.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Like this one with Free shipping
    ebay.com link » Waterproof 5m Led Strip 3528 Smd 300led 12v Rgb Fairy Light Bulb 24 Key Remote

How about a complete package including the power supply?

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

How about a complete package including the power supply?

OK, I thought the white thing was the power supply

So it's an extra $3 for the power supply and still free shipping

ebay.com link: 5M 16 4FT 3528 RGB 300LED SMD Light Strip Non Waterproof 44Key IR 12V 2A Adapter

#9 10 years ago

are these ones from China any good?

ebay.com link: 5050 5M RGB SDM LED Strip light 300leds IR remote controller 44keys

** EDIT** Just saw the above post...ignore this one

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from hollywood:

are these ones from China any good?
    ebay.com link » 5050 5m Rgb Sdm Led Strip Light 300leds Ir Remote Controller 44keys
    ** EDIT** Just saw the above post...ignore this one

I was under the impression they all ultimately come from China?

#11 10 years ago

Does anyone have a pic of these installed underneath their pin? Wondering what's the best way without doing damage to the cabinet.

#12 10 years ago

ebay.com link » 5m 16 4ft 3528 Rgb 300led Smd Light Strip Non Waterproof 44key Ir 12v 2a Adapter

I'd take the 60w power adapter before the cheaper 24w one.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

I'd take the 60w power adapter before the cheaper 24w one.

Most people tie them into the machines power supply somehow so they usually don't need the power supply anyway.

#14 10 years ago

The ones with the 44 key remote are better IMO.

#15 10 years ago

I was under the impression they all ultimately come from China?

They do, but the ones from LEDWHOLESALERS on amazon are supposed to be the most reliable and consistent. I've had them about 6 months. Other than the tape being a little weak, the light quality is very good.

#16 10 years ago

I can't fathom why you'd want to attach this to a pinball machine. Are you guys tying it to the flashers or something? What am I missing?

#17 10 years ago

Be sure to note the difference between smd 3528 and 5050. The 3528 SMD is a single-chip medium-output LED. The 5050 SMD is a larger, three-chip high-output LED that has approximately 3X the brightness of the 3528.

#18 10 years ago

mine are above my machines.

20131129_192434.jpg20131129_192434.jpg

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from Double_D:

Be sure to note the difference between smd 3528 and 5050. The 3528 SMD is a single-chip medium-output LED. The 5050 SMD is a larger, three-chip high-output LED that has approximately 3X the brightness of the 3528.

Good point. Some of the 16" foot options have 300 LEDs and some have 150.... Is the 300 brighter with dense saturation? Versus more spaced less bright light?

#20 10 years ago

Most people tie them into the machines power supply somehow so they usually don't need the power supply anyway.

16.4 feet on the machine? I think these are more for the game room itself.

#21 10 years ago

I just put some on a machine with the sound detector after seeing this on an AVENGERS with sub, it flashed in RED, GREEN and BLUE. You can have it flash all or 1 color or I have the options from the string controler. I got the weather proof 5050 16'.4 300 there rubber coated but you can cut through with an exacto. I cut my strip in half ran on L/R under cab up the back and solderd to the contacts that are available every 3 LEDs I popped those 4 wires out of the vent holes. I'll get some pics maybe make a video cycling through colors, modes, speeds and cominations with the sound detector.

#22 10 years ago

IMG_5476.JPGIMG_5476.JPG
    IMG_5478.JPGIMG_5478.JPG
    IMG_5480.JPGIMG_5480.JPG
    IMG_5473.JPGIMG_5473.JPG
    IMG_5474.JPGIMG_5474.JPG
    IMG_5475.JPGIMG_5475.JPG

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

16.4 feet on the machine? I think these are more for the game room itself.

I think you can cut it?

#24 10 years ago

yes its easy to cut. The pictures are 1 string cut into 2.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

Your machine looks majorly bad ass. It must be a blast to play.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

So then you soldered the two sides together onto the controller wires, correct?

#27 10 years ago

Great job Skill_Shot! Can you post the part numbers and supplier used? Thats exactly what I want to do with mine.

#28 10 years ago

RonB Im going from power supply into the sound sensor this has 2 rgb+ terminal outs I made 2 4wire leads so each half gets its own terminal and can run 2 strings off each for a total of 4 without an inline booster. You could T-tap if you want as long as your rgb+ matches it doesnt have to touch an end.

player#4 I orderd from amazon.
    LIGHTS
    http://www.amazon.com/LEMONBEST-SMD-Water-resistant-Strip-Controller/dp/B00AJJDLHQ/ref=sr_1_1/190-8908683-6806236
    these didnt come with a 12v power supply

SOUND CONTROLER
    http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Controller-Changing-Control-5050rgb/dp/B008BD4734/ref=sr_1_2
    I orderd 2 different types this one is better constructed materials but ony has 2 outs the cheaper white one is plastic has 3 outs both are almost identical in function.

#29 10 years ago

Here is how I do it on the interactive kits I sell. Also a video of what I produce. This should give you guys an idea, its nice and clean. An led strip on a remote or sound activated just doesn't do it for me, this does. Good luck!

-ROCK

20131130_113342.jpg20131130_113342.jpg
    20131130_113430.jpg20131130_113430.jpg

#30 10 years ago

I added color changing Cyron LED lighting under my 3 pins from off the shelf rgb lighting with remote at lowes.
    This was the simplest plug and play option for me and it was locally available.
    It costs a bit more than cheap lighting you get from ebay, but you simply adhere it to the bottom of your game,adjust the sound setting and plug it in an available electrical outlet.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_696-24994-HTP904E_4294769728__?pl=3316942&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

The built in sound sensor flashes different colors when it senses a loud sound and then reverts back to RED lighting. There are additional ports to add more led bars, also available at lowes. Total cost was $50 for the kit that included 4 bars (enough for 2 games next to each other). I added 2 more bars (30) for my third game next to the other 2. All are controlled by the 1 controller. Bumpers, scoops, slings, any loud sound event will fire them off. I tuned it so the flippers dont. Also there are other settings for standard colors that dont flash and other effects.

Is it as good as lighting tied to solenoids, nope and its probably not as bright as the latest leds, but its plenty bright for me and i can move it to another set of games very easily. Just another option.

#31 10 years ago

OP thanks for the led strip info... Ordered a set.

Does anyone know where the best place (website) would be to purchase additional IR remotes/transformers and power adapters from? I have 1 real I experiment with cutting strips and need more of the hardware on hand minus having to pay for the led strips. Thanks in advance

#32 10 years ago

You can find these with remotes as low as $10 on ebay

Yup, I've seen them there too.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

Here is how I do it on the interactive kits I sell. Also a video of what I produce. This should give you guys an idea, its nice and clean. An led strip on a remote or sound activated just doesn't do it for me, this does. Good luck!
    -ROCK
    » YouTube video

Yeah I like seeing this all integrated into the machine also... if you are going to do it in the first place.

Where's your page for your stuff Rock?

#35 10 years ago

I was just looking for just a solid color set of strips around the bottom of the cabinet and two strips up the backside with no color changing etc. And I simply want them to turn on/off with the game power for Stern's games.

#36 10 years ago

I always found that strips seem to come off after time, I have tried numerous types and all the sticky is the same. Then I had these made with sticky foam, they do not come off unless you want them off. The plastic modules keep the leds safe from pinball carts.. at least so far. This is just my prototype board.

SAM_1324.JPGSAM_1324.JPG SAM_1326.JPGSAM_1326.JPG SAM_1327.JPGSAM_1327.JPG SAM_1328.JPGSAM_1328.JPG
    #37 10 years ago

thats way too much work, the outdoor LED strips would be safe froom crushing. Those would look good behind a spare backglass in a frame. I thought about hacking up a string for little projects. Can anyone answer this...If I hook up a R and + does that make red? like if I went B and + does that make blue? In that case RGB+ would make white and let the crazy splicing and soldering begin!

#38 10 years ago

Yes r is red, b is blue, g is green. R, g, and b is white. G and r is yellow, b and r is purple, ect.... you can add resistors and make many colors/shades.

3 weeks later
    #39 10 years ago

ebay.com link » 5m 16 4ft 3528 Rgb 300led Smd Light Strip Non Waterproof 44key Ir 12v 2a Adapter

DO NOT BUY THESE!!! I ordered 5 sets and the 3 I have hooked up do not work past 3 days!!!! The adapter/plug seems to blow on these even when plugged into a surge protector.
    Just giving you my heads up before you waste 80$ too.

#40 10 years ago

Don't buy them from eBay. The best ones are from amazon, I provided the link above in an earlier post. Mine have been working for 6 months, no issues.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

I just put some on a machine with the sound detector after seeing this on an AVENGERS with sub, it flashed in RED, GREEN and BLUE. You can have it flash all or 1 color or I have the options from the string controler. I got the weather proof 5050 16'.4 300 there rubber coated but you can cut through with an exacto. I cut my strip in half ran on L/R under cab up the back and solderd to the contacts that are available every 3 LEDs I popped those 4 wires out of the vent holes. I'll get some pics maybe make a video cycling through colors, modes, speeds and cominations with the sound detector.

I really like how you ran the LEDs up the back... so obvious yet I didn't think of it.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Don't buy them from eBay. The best ones are from amazon, I provided the link above in an earlier post. Mine have been working for 6 months, no issues.

got mine from e-bay a year ago, about 5 sets, still work perfectly and they all come from the same... china!

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

got mine from e-bay a year ago, about 5 sets, still work perfectly and they all come from the same... china!

So weird! I bought 5 sets this month and the plugs/adapters all gave up? I don't understand why?

#45 10 years ago

it's like everything else, different manufacturers, different quality.
    not everything is good on e-bay or amazon.

first i'd never buy 3528 for a cab, always 5050.
    and double controler for the speaker panel, at this price you can't go wrong:

ebay.com link: 12V 6A IR Remote Control 16 Colors Changing 5050 3528 SMD RGB LED Strip Lights

that's the last strip i bought and works perfectly:

ebay.com link: 5M 60Leds M 300Leds RGB 5050 Non Waterproof SMD Flexible Lights Strip New

#46 10 years ago

so from the Amazon ones, can you add additional strands onto each other(say make it 50ft)? i would like to do this to my arcade but don't wanna waste $$$! also, if this can be done since they are low voltage/current whatever, can you add as many as you want and use one remote control? i have a large room for this.

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

You just proved my point, very inconsistent stuff off eBay. Stick with LCD Wholesalers as the manufacturer/distributor to be safe. Reviews on amazon are pretty good and there are a lot f them.

Quoted from kray37:

so from the Amazon ones, can you add additional strands onto each other(say make it 50ft)? i would like to do this to my arcade but don't wanna waste $$$! also, if this can be done since they are low voltage/current whatever, can you add as many as you want and use one remote control? i have a large room for this.

Yes, you need a "repeater," like this http://www.amazon.com/TSSS-Repeater-Signal-Amplifier-warranty/dp/B00A46UAQO/ref=pd_sim_hi_15

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from kray37:

yep just make sure you have a good power supply.

i have 30 feets on one like this and works great.

ebay.com link: AC 220V TO DC 12V 5A 60W Power Supply AC adaptor Line Office for Led Strips

#49 10 years ago

you can run 2 strings off 1 power suply

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

You just proved my point, very inconsistent stuff off eBay. Plus you can't compare something coming out if china 5 years ago vs today. Stick with LCD Wholesalers as the manufacturer/distributor to be safe. Reviews on amazon are pretty good and there are a lot f them.

Yes, you need a "repeater," like this amazon.com link »

i hear ya, i had stuff from amazon that didn't work also.

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remote-controlled-16ft-led-light-strip-for-24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.