Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by GRUMPY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I replaced my batteries at Christmas time. Just now, about 60 days later FACTORY SETTINGS RESTORED. WTF? I pulled a battery and got milky brown fluid all over my hand. Brand new duracells have leaked and corroded the battery holder.

Anybody have any ideas other than maybe a bad batch of batteries? And yeah, I’m going to get a memory cap...

#2 6 years ago

What's the expiration date on them? Did you buy them from an online store like Amazon or from a local store? Good thing is was in a remote holder.

#3 6 years ago

That sucks. Better to use lithium batteries or get nvram.

#5 6 years ago

Energizer lithium batteries are "guaranteed" not to leak. And for whatever reason if they do, Energizer claims they will replace the parts that were destroyed by leaking batteries. (As long as they aren't expired and whatnot)

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Better to use lithium batteries or get nvram

Lithium batteries are the way to go. You can get them in bulk from Amazon, I've been using these:

https://www.amazon.com/EBL-Batteries-1-5Volt-Lithium-16/dp/B06Y5SDBFT/ref=sr_1_14

NVRAM is great if you can install it, but WPC games require desoldering and removing a chip and then soldering in a new one, without damaging or lifting any traces on these old boards. That is a feat unless you've got a lot of board soldering experience, no matter how many Youtube videos you watch about it!

Right now it's more important to get those gooey batteries and socketed chips off of the board, dunk it in a container of white vinegar, and use a toothbrush to get all of that alkaline substance neutralized and removed. Then a good rinse, overnight drip dry, and reinstall. A can of compressed air will let you get water out from in and under the components to dry faster.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from bobnatlanta:

I replaced my batteries at Christmas time. Just now, about 60 days later FACTORY SETTINGS RESTORED. WTF? I pulled a battery and got milky brown fluid all over my hand

Sounds like they were being charged, check the blocking diode for being shorted.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 159.00
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 180.00
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 29.95
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remote-battery-holdernearlynew-batteries-leaking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.