Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170528_174022 (resized).jpg
image1.jpg
IMG_3185 (resized).JPG
IMG_3184 (resized).JPG
IMG_3183 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider neuromancer87.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Installing a remote battery holder on my Stern LotR and I think I did everything right except when I install the batteries it starts smoking where I soldered the positive wire. I am hoping I didn't damage my board. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3183 (resized).JPGIMG_3183 (resized).JPG

IMG_3184 (resized).JPGIMG_3184 (resized).JPG

IMG_3185 (resized).JPGIMG_3185 (resized).JPG

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Rip that battery holder out and install NVRAM. 30 second upgrade since the old RAM is in a socket already and never have to worry about batteries again.
http://www.pinitech.com/products/6264_nvram.php

Thank you but I want to install a remote battery holder not an NVRAM.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Looks like that extra bit of wire sticking out of the + terminal is touching the boards ground screw area.

(It's not touching it.) But I cut it off anyway same problem now what?

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from homebrood:

I had this problem too before and the remote battery makers need to have more thorough intructions cause it can cause fire and ruin games if not installed properly/ That being said...you're doing it wrong!

Thank you, helpful.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I haven't had a single problem with the remote battery holders I DIYed in my bally machines.
http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Remote_battery_holder
I don't have a clue what you've done; but I'd recheck the installation and make sure you've done it right.
Maybe explaining what you did and why would help us more than a picture.
IE I can't see how you've connected the neg and positive to the remote holder so unsure if it's wired right.
Smoke is usually an indication of a short so I'm inclinded to believe something is either reverse wired or shorted to something unexpected.

Okay so I soldered the red wire coming from the remote to the positive connection on the existing holder. I soldered the black wire from the remote to the loops on the negative contact.

#13 6 years ago

Okay I got un-lazy and ripped the old battery holder off. Soldered wires to the correct terminals. All is well. Bada-bing-bada-boom. Lesson is, don't do things half-assed.

#21 6 years ago

Not to mention it's a bad value? An NVRAM costs $39.95. Ok. A remote battery holder and 30 years worth of batteries costs ~$21-$23...

Thank you all who came here to belittle, berate, or highjack the thread when I'm asking a simple question about how to wire in a remote battery holder.

Quoted from pinballkyle:

Nvram is a great solution but it does have its downfalls too.
The fit of the stern socket can be quite loose for the nvram and can cause the memory to be occasionally erased due to a loose fit. This has happened on two of my sterns on location.
Technically it's plug and play but if you want it to work perfectly for years, the old socket should be desoldered and the included socket should be installed. This is what I'm doing now.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

....or as much as a couple of bucks if you make it yourself. Nice passive aggressive finish too. IMO, pay attention to the advice people here on pinside give you.

IMO, don't tell other people what to do.

#33 6 years ago

Wow! You're kind of a fucking asshole. I bet you slap your kids when they spill their milk.

Quoted from pacmanretro:

You did not ask how to do it, then follow advice. You hooked everything up wrong and as quick and dirty as you could, screwed up but claimed it seemed correct, then asked for help and that is what you got.
Were you looking for a snowflake hand out of how great a job you did and hoping there was someone else to blame for your ignorance?
Weird to complain to people trying to help...and not one person was off topic, overly rude, or offering bad suggestions....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 7.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider neuromancer87.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remote-battery-holder-smoking-issue?tu=neuromancer87 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.