(Topic ID: 31578)

Reminder---- Do NOT remove inserts from a playfield if you don't have to

By CaptainNeo

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hellfire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 11 years ago

Which games are you refering to?
    I know on older Ballys like Fathom, Flash Gordon etc they are typicly all heat cracked already and tap out with little to no effort, honestly about every older pf like them they almost push out without even tapping them.
    Williams such as the original black knight seem to pop out real easy as well.
    Is this problem more unique to newer games such as WPC?

I noticed when i pop mine out the wood dowel method seemed more problematic i now use nut drivers on the 5/8" 3/4" &1" inserts and it works alot nicer for me at least it seems and puts the stress on the edges instead of the center of the inserts and i havnt seen any further cracking and realy havnt had aly wood damage around the edges of the wood anymore.

But i also dont heat the inserts either, In theory if you heat them the inserts should expand and the glue will soften rebonding the 2 surfaces and helping them bind. it seems since i stopped using heat they come out easier.

#13 11 years ago

Yeah i would be worried about odd inserts that cant be replaced but most of them can be replaced nowdays Ive been chewing it over about changing out all the inserts in some games.
    I have 2 near perfect fathom pfs atm obviously they are going to get good clearcoats but i have few cupped inserts and some are loose and need decals,
    So since fathom is turning into a more valuable game, so do i pop and reglue the cracked inserts? or pop em out and replace with all new perfect ones? they are only about $.60 each
    I personaly dont like clearing if the inserts might be or are loose and if they need decals its certainly alot nicer to pop and sand em smooth with 200-320 grit then reglue clear and apply decals.
    Ive scraped cleaned and redecaled without removal but its a pain lol.
    Also on the bally ss machines its common the blue in particular have a tendency to be darker and mismatched frequently, Leds can correct it most of the time but the diehard incandecent guys will notice the difference.
    So I suppose its a matter of your aim if you have a brilliant pf do you run with the old cracked original inserts or freshen it up to have perfect inserts? I suppose its a matter of preference as well.

Then on the other hand games such as Black knight f14 ive come across warped inserts and raised edges personaly I pop em out and sand em then reglue them in tight again.
    I dont want to risk a clearcoat going to hell becouse of a passed up loose insert but if not bad the clear could help reglue them as well if it soaks in. so i suppose alot could depend on each PF and its condition and if it will be led or incandecent in the future.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hellfire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reminder-do-not-remove-inserts-from-a-playfield-if-you-dont-have-to?tu=hellfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.