Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by v8torino
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

.... it made someone else feel when you had stacked a bunch of credits on a game and offered them over because you had to leave or got tired of the game? I remember when finding credits on a game in an arcade was like winning the lottery. There was nothing better.

Finding a bunch of change in coin returns of phones, cigarette machines ranked a close second.

Dan

#2 11 years ago

Kinda the same feeling when you found a quarter in a coin-return slot and were able to play one extra game

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

.... it made someone else feel when you had stacked a bunch of credits on a game and offered them over because you had to leave or got tired of the game? I remember when finding credits on a game in an arcade was like winning the lottery. There was nothing better.

I'm appalled.

Of course owning the arcade I have a different view.

You find a credit on a game ? Cool.

Someone puts in 50¢ and plays a long time and leaves a bunch of games, and then someone finds them and does the same thing over and over until closing. Not so cool.

LTG

#4 11 years ago

I just found 3 credits on a Sopranos machine last Friday. I left a few on the LOTR when departing.

#5 11 years ago

I stacked 3 credits on RS and let a kid around 9 or 10 play the three games.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

MrWizzo said:.... it made someone else feel when you had stacked a bunch of credits on a game and offered them over because you had to leave or got tired of the game? I remember when finding credits on a game in an arcade was like winning the lottery. There was nothing better.
    I'm appalled.
    Of course owning the arcade I have a different view.
    You find a credit on a game ? Cool.
    Someone puts in 50¢ and plays a long time and leaves a bunch of games, and then someone finds them and does the same thing over and over until closing. Not so cool.
    LTG

Lloyd:

what is the difference in me playing awarded games or giving them to someone else to enjoy? As the owner, you can make the games harder or limit the number of replays or monitor your games to wipe out left credits or set a no transfer of games policy, but does the objection you raise actually occur all that frequently? It wouldn't seem likely as I doubt you have your games set to three or four replay levels along with specials. The memory is about arcades in the seventies and eighties when it could happen. Don't know of any place where that could happen today. I guess back then it wouldn't be beneficial to the owner, but you seem to be objecting to memory than a present reality.
    Dan

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

Lloyd:

what is the difference in me playing awarded games or giving them to someone else to enjoy? As the owner, you can make the games harder or limit the number of replays or monitor your games to Wipe Out left credits or set a no transfer of games policy, but does the objection you raise actually occur all that frequently? It wouldn't seem likely as I doubt you have your games set to three or four replay levels along with specials. The memory is about arcades in the seventies and eighties when it could happen. Don't know of any place where that could happen today. I guess back then it wouldn't be beneficial to the owner, but you seem to be objecting to memory than a present reality.
    Dan

Sorry, didn't mean to be objecting to anybodies memory.

#8 11 years ago

At the local bowling alley the two pins more often then not say 1/2 credits, i have seen young kids put in a quarter and walk away thinking its broken because everything else there is a quarter play, and i don't know if they get it that its fifty cents to play. Its a nice added bonus to come up to a pin and see a 1/2 credit, i usually end up putting in a couple bucks anyway, so its like a drug dealer given me a little bit for free. then im hooked.

#9 11 years ago

I will usually "pay-it-forward" as well... Unless I am at LTG's.
    For him I'd just slap an extra Jackson on the counter and thank him for everything he's done for pinball. (after I had played all his games of course!)

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

MrWizzo said:Lloyd:
    what is the difference in me playing awarded games or giving them to someone else to enjoy? As the owner, you can make the games harder or limit the number of replays or monitor your games to Wipe Out left credits or set a no transfer of games policy, but does the objection you raise actually occur all that frequently? It wouldn't seem likely as I doubt you have your games set to three or four replay levels along with specials. The memory is about arcades in the seventies and eighties when it could happen. Don't know of any place where that could happen today. I guess back then it wouldn't be beneficial to the owner, but you seem to be objecting to memory than a present reality.
    Dan

MrWizzo, I think you missed the smiley face after his post. If you saw the food, drink and pinball I had at Lloyd's place on Saturday for $20 you would know how unselfish he is. On my way out the door he reminded me that I could come back all day Sunday on the same ticket. He had a BBB set on freeplay all weekend. His comments were in jest, retract claws please.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

Ah yes...it was like finding a dollar bill blowing across the ground.
    My favorite thing to do is to wrap up my gameplay leaving a credit or two on the game, find a kid hanging around, and then casually say, "play 'em"...so cool.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#12 11 years ago

I experienced this very recently at the PHOF in Las Vegas. The gentleman on staff had to repair an issue that lost me a credit on TOM. He ended up putting 5 on there for me by accident. He smiled and handed over the machine. I collected a few additional credits and got tired. Left the games to a few really happy kids.
    I proceeded to play my fill of Pinbot, Space Shuttle and then some TRON LE and BDK. I had some great games on all of them and ended up leaving credits behind on a few more!!! Good karma? maybe

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

LTG said:MrWizzo said:Lloyd:
    Dan
    MrWizzo, I think you missed the smiley face after his post. If you saw the food, drink and pinball I had at Lloyd's place on Saturday for $20 you would know how unselfish he is. On my way out the door he reminded me that I could come back all day Sunday on the same ticket. He had a BBB set on freeplay all weekend. His comments were in jest, retract claws please.

Rusty:

No claws. I have the utmost respect for Lloyd and have on occasion commented that he is an example of a wise, giving, unselfish individual who we should all emulate. No doubt about that. I was kind of surprised by the response and missed the application of the smiley face to the whole post.

I respect Lloyd's opinion and hope that one day a tenth of the number of people who hold him in esteem feel that way about me. I was more debating not attacking as I wanted to understand his perspective because the post seemed unlike him, but since I never operated an arcade, I cannot know all that an owner might think.

Llyod, if I seemed too aggressive in my response, please forgive me. Didn't mean to offend you; I was just digging into the exchange.

Dan

#14 11 years ago

whenever i have time i stop in to a local pizza place and play nascar or bdk. i always end up leaving with 3-4 credits on the game. if there are kids there i will let them have them. if not i just walk away and hope someone gets to enjoy them.thats 1 more thing that makes pinball so cool.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

Llyod, if I seemed too aggressive in my response, please forgive me. Didn't mean to offend you; I was just digging into the exchange.

Dan

I didn't take your post as aggressive. And enjoy other points of view or exchanges of knowledge and information.

Not being in the hobby, rather the industry end of things. I often have a totally different perspective on these threads. And they often conflict.

We are all friends here and gathered in the name of pinball.

LTG

#16 11 years ago

Winning a game by matching was always cool. Hearing the "pop" was awesome.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

Winning a game by matching was always cool. Hearing the "pop" was awesome.

Really awesome is four people all matching at the same time in an EM.

You know something great just happened.

LTG

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I didn't take your post as aggressive. And enjoy other points of view or exchanges of knowledge and information.

Not being in the hobby, rather the industry end of things. I often have a totally different perspective on these threads. And they often conflict.

We are all friends here and gathered in the name of pinball.

LTG

Good to hear.

Thanks for clarifying that taking your original response at face value was not a mistake.

I also like the different perspectives that many can offer as most issues are faceted like diamonds. The color you see often depends on how you are holding the stone.

Dan

#19 11 years ago

back in the 80s killing time at the Jersey Shore my friend on the way out of an arcade
    slapped a pepsi machine and that familiar 'kuh_lunk' sound as a free can appeared
    This mean nasty buch of a woman comes over yelling if we got it for free,
    my friend cool and calm pulls back the tab takes a sip and tells the battle axe-
    "nothin in this word is free mam.......... nothin "

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

Don't know of any place where that could happen today.

You'd be surprised. Many ops don't set up their games properly. With easy settings, a dollar or two can last for hours. Stern default replay scores are generally low. I think the first default replay score for Spidey was only about 19M. Pathetically low. Add in extra balls, specials and credits awarded for beating high scores and you can collect credits in a hurry if you're a halfway decent player. Reflexing, or auto percentaging can help, but if the replay score starts low to begin with, doubling or tripling the floor replay score is often still easy.

I give away credits on location whenever possible. Now that I'm older though, it's getting a little tougher. Younger kids will take free games in a heartbeat. Not shy at all. Their parents have told them not to accept things from strangers, but it hasn't really sunk in yet. Besides, I'm not giving them the whole game, just a few credits. Teenagers are tough. They're more wary and are too busy trying to look cool to take free games from some adult they don't know. You can still give them free games, but you have to do it subtly. Sometimes just a look and a nod in the direction of the game on the way out will get the message across. The kid, trying as hard as he can to look cool, won't run over to the game right away. But as soon as you get out of sight, he's all over it.

If there's no kids around, I'll sometimes burn all the extra credits except one, depending on who the operator is. Good op, burn all but one. Bad op, leave them all. Always leave one though. Pay it forward, or something like that.

#21 11 years ago

Yeah, TRS and TF have pretty low default replay scores.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

This mean nasty buch of a woman comes over yelling if we got it for free,
    my friend cool and calm pulls back the tab takes a sip and tells the battle axe-
    "nothin in this word is free mam.......... nothin "

Great story....reminds me of a good ol' buddy of mine.

#23 11 years ago

I set all my machines to award an extra ball instead of a replay. I would do the same on location too. I just like it better.

I do love the 1/2 credit message though. Nothing like a half price

#24 11 years ago

In my town there isn't much as far as machines goes. I found in a random pharmacy that there is a South Park machine set on only a quarter, so I occasionally go in there and play it. I always seem to get a replay, I don't know if it is because I'm that good or if the replay score is set so low. Well usually kids come in and out of the store with their parents, so I offer my free plays to them, but the parents usually so no because it is a South Park machine. Oh well, at least they can play the Ms. Pac Man that is behind me when I play.

#25 11 years ago

Funny the replay and match concepts never transfered to the arcade games.

On leaving credits on games, I have another story. On vacation last summer in an unnamed country where most of the tourists nor the locals understood much English, I offered a pinball machine to a kid in the arcade. Thinking he would be thrilled, he nor his mother where able to get the fact, that he could play for free. The mother went and grabbed someone from the staff. Like if I had addressed her as a staff member due to some problem. When the guys came, I told him the kid could play the credits I had earned, and he showed me how to press the start button

I shook my head and left. Wondering if he went on to diagnose the game.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

MrWizzo said:Don't know of any place where that could happen today.
    You'd be surprised. Many ops don't set up their games properly. With easy settings, a dollar or two can last for hours. Stern default replay scores are generally low. I think the first default replay score for Spidey was only about 19M. Pathetically low. Add in extra balls, specials and credits awarded for beating high scores and you can collect credits in a hurry if you're a halfway decent player. Reflexing, or auto percentaging can help, but if the replay score starts low to begin with, doubling or tripling the floor replay score is often still easy.
    I give away credits on location whenever possible. Now that I'm older though, it's getting a little tougher. Younger kids will take free games in a heartbeat. Not shy at all. Their parents have told them not to accept things from strangers, but it hasn't really sunk in yet. Besides, I'm not giving them the whole game, just a few credits. Teenagers are tough. They're more wary and are too busy trying to look cool to take free games from some adult they don't know. You can still give them free games, but you have to do it subtly. Sometimes just a look and a nod in the direction of the game on the way out will get the message across. The kid, trying as hard as he can to look cool, won't run over to the game right away. But as soon as you get out of sight, he's all over it.
    If there's no kids around, I'll sometimes burn all the extra credits except one, depending on who the operator is. Good op, burn all but one. Bad op, leave them all. Always leave one though. Pay it forward, or something like that.

Phish:

It is interesting that you would use SM as an example. It was the game I was playing yesterday when I had the memory.

First replay was 19M, went to 48M and then 69M if I remember correctly. So I played for about an hour on two bucks. The most replays I got awarded was two, one for score, another for some record.

Bummer was that the right ramp would register only maybe one in five shots, so starting modes was pretty much impossible.

Good read on the kids, and I appreciate your approach to the operators concerns. I will have to adopt that in fairness to the good guys like Lloyd.

Dan

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

On vacation last summer in an unnamed country

There are still unnamed countries?

To the original point, I think in a similar way that's why I like using quarters on my pin and arcade machines at home - it makes the credits (and the act of racking up free ones and/or giving them to the kid) more tangible. Yeah, with the big-bucket-o-quarters three feet away they're free regardless, but it feels good.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

On vacation last summer in an unnamed country

There are still unnamed countries?

I claim this planet in the name of Mars! Hmmm, isn't that lovely?

Marvin

#29 11 years ago

I found Earthshaker at the arcade with what appeared to be 2 credits on it. I played a game. Still 2 credits. Well that's odd. I played another game. The number of credits still didn't change! I eventually played 2 or 3 more games and the credits counted down as they should. A weird software bug? A hardware fluke in the CPU? I'll never know.

I don't like it when a game is set to 3 plays for $1 and you don't realize this until you put 4 quarters in. For example: put in the first quarter, see half a credit on the display. Put in another, see 1. Another, see 1 1/2. Put in the 4th quarter, you see 3. I prefer to see 1: 1/2, 2: 1, 3: 2, 4: 3. This way I actually know that the game is 3 plays for $1 instead of 2. Otherwise I might not have put 4 quarters in to begin with and instead I may have spent that money on a game I know for sure is 3 plays for $1.

Here's something interesting. At 3 plays per dollar you spend about 33¢ per game. At 33¢ per game you spend about 3.6¢ per ball. Not bad. But at 2 plays per dollar you spend 50¢ per game and 5.5¢ per ball. Likewise, for 75¢ per game you spend 25¢ per ball and at $1 per game you spend 33¢ per ball. Plus, you'll be spending a whole (insert game price here) on just a single ball if you buy in. Ridiculous!

#30 11 years ago

Adults know the ramifications to the operator, kids delight in free stuff and don't understand how this puts an operator in jeopardy. The choice should obvious, cycle through abandoned credits and let the operator know of the easy settings/broken play if it exists.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

it made someone else feel when you had stacked a bunch of credits on a game and offered them over because you had to leave or got tired of the game? I remember when finding credits on a game in an arcade was like winning the lottery. There was nothing better.

Finding a bunch of change in coin returns of phones, cigarette machines ranked a close second

Agreed,I ck. every coin slot/return I see,I save cans,pick up pennies,save scrap for $ and I am still broke ) At least I have a roof over my head a couple pinball machines and Pinside.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remember-how-happy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.