(Topic ID: 195962)

REMAKE or REDESIGN? How should they rebuild the classics?

By ASOA

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ASOA
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How should they REMAKE the classic game titles? VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!”

• Keep it as authentic as possible do not change a thing. 12 votes
      23%
    • Keep with the theme stay true to its roots but enhance the game with new technology. 24 votes
      45%
    • Offer 2 versions Calssic stock like original & LE which is enhanced with all the bells and whistles. 17 votes
      32%

(53 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170817_231114 (resized).jpg
    20170814_185931 (resized).jpg
    20170814_185853 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

As a owner of MMR and AFMRLE I would like to ask the community the following question. The classics are great games in my opinion. Lets be honest if it was not for the classics there would not be any pinball today. People loved all of those titles and still do today. But here comes the question. MMR is a great game but feels very close to the original. AFMRLE seems very different but in a good way. The topper is so well integrated into the game and the light show and the large DMD is fantastic. That being said as more Remakes are being produced do you want them to be true to original or do you want them to be enhanced? I know which way I'm voting but please let us know what you think.

Monster Bash is coming! or is it Winter I'm not sure.

#2 6 years ago

True to the original please

#3 6 years ago

I'm probably in the minority as I've got 20+ Williams/Bally classics, but I'd like a remake to slot into my line-up without sticking out like a sore thumb with the addition of big screens with high def graphics, lit speakers, and other bling, but that bling is what remake buyers want, so that's what CGC & PPS is gonna be selling.

Oh, I'd also like socketed lights under inserts so I can change them to what I'd like, but that ain't happening either, LOL.

#4 6 years ago

I'd like to see something a little different. I'd like to see a few games like Fathom, Centaur, Eight Ball Deluxe to be remade. Layout and art exactly the same but with two distinct rule sets. Classic and enhanced.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

I'd like to see something a little different. I'd like to see a few games like Fathom, Centaur, Eight Ball Deluxe to be remade. Layout and art exactly the same but with two distinct rule sets. Classic and enhanced.

I would actually like to see the same thing happen. However, to start out, just make it an enhanced MPU(kit). That way, those that already own the game can simply "upgrade it" and beta test. Barakandl's new MPU boards could be used...

I do feel like a lot of this work is already done. CPR, repro boards, ect.

If the MPU kit goes well, get CPR and churchill involved. Even fully populated PF's could be sold. Hell, there are already a few hacks to the Fathom and Centaur code that add to the gameplay.

Only problem is that for every enthusiast or operator that is willing to spend the 7k$ for AFMr or MMr, there is only a small percentage of that pinball community willing to buy a classic Bally from the early 80's for a little less than that cost.

I can certainly see 1000 MMr and AFMr being sold. However, fully classic Bally games for 5-6K... Probably no more than a few hundred.

But as an enhanced MPU "kit", I do really think 1000 kits could be sold for existing games.

I mean, how many Pinsound boards have been sold thus far?

#6 6 years ago

Everyone's opinion matters. Voice yours here! People are watching.

#7 6 years ago

As close to the original as is possible please. New stuff can go in new games. There is a reason the remakes have been so popular, they are great games!

#8 6 years ago

Close to original with color dmd, some tasteful mods or upgrades and an interactive topper.

#9 6 years ago

I liked how they did AFMR. Three models. Classic Edition ( like the original ), Special Edition and Limited Edition - both having more features.

That way you can have a new version of the original, or with more bells and whistles.

Something for everybody.

LTG : )

#10 6 years ago

"Remakes" are already "redesigns" by the nature of their technology as presently differentiated between the originally constructed games.
    It does not make the games "bad" or "good" just the way they "are".

Please understand the nature of the nomenclature of terminology used.
    These are similar mistakes when people interchange terms like "remake" and "reproduction".
    They are not the same thing.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Please understand the nature of the nomenclature of terminology being used.

There are a lot of long words in there, Sir; we're naught but humble pinballians.

#12 6 years ago

Interesting question. I like the Remakes. As importantly, A value through service, build quality, and communication needs to be there. Using CGC as an example. (We all seem pleased with AMFR) perhaps if they expand their business model we will see new "2.0" versions or reimagined products some day.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I liked how they did AFMR. Three models. Classic Edition ( like the original ), Special Edition and Limited Edition - both having more features.
    That way you can have a new version of the original, or with more bells and whistles.
    Something for everybody.

I'm glad they did it that way too. Smart business plan. I hope the future remakes are along the same lines.

#14 6 years ago

For me, they would need to have incandescent bulbs in them or they will never be close to the originals.

#15 6 years ago

AFMRLE is a beautiful game. But she is stuck up and will only hang out with other LE's

20170814_185853 (resized).jpg20170814_185853 (resized).jpg

20170814_185931 (resized).jpg20170814_185931 (resized).jpg

20170817_231114 (resized).jpg20170817_231114 (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago

Cool, in just one post the thread has turned in to a pissing contest. Thanks for your contribution to this discussion.

Go post your pics in this thread and talk with ONEANGRYMO. He needs a friend: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-addicted-to-pinball-and-need-help

#17 6 years ago

Everyone be nice. Pinball is Fun

#18 6 years ago

Sorry, the pic seemed out of place based on the topic... I've considered the AFMr classic.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

AFMRLE is a beautiful game. But she is stuck up and will only hang out with other LE's

Why is that apron different on your AFMR LE? Pingraffics apron and blades?

#20 6 years ago

Yes Sir. Mirror Art blades are fantastic. Apron is nice but you do lose the LE #. So the original stays wrapped up nicely inside of the machine.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remake-or-redesign-how-should-they-rebuild-the-classics?hl=tbutler6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.