• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00086 (resized).JPG
DSC00085 (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

I'm out of the loop so apologies if this has been covered to death. What are the downsides to buying a MM remake over an original?
The only thing I can think of are propriety electronics that cannot be replaced or repaired down the road. Perhaps they are surface mount components and custom chips?

#2 4 years ago

Yes

#3 4 years ago

People who lost their hides on 15k MM, AFM, and MB's.

Happy I was not one of them

#4 4 years ago

That is a valid concern, but I am not sure it is a foregone conclusion that the electronics will in fact be less reliable than the acres of boards and high parts counts in old games nor harder to service in the future.

Sure, it is a bit more tedious to probe and do repairs on SMT boards, but definitely NOT impossible for a hobbyist with the right tools and a bit of practice.

The CGC hardware isn't as "proprietary" as it seems either; the entire system operates on a BeagleBoard platform which is open-source, maintains backward-compatibility, and is very widely deployed in industry. It shouldn't be much of a problem in the future for someone like Multimorphic or Rottendog to redesign or emulate the hardware for these games in the same vein as has been done for the old WMS systems. Also, it appears that they retained through-hole packages for the board-level parts most likely to require future replacement (such as driver transistors and electrolytic caps). I am not sure whether the game has any ICs which are proprietary down to the die level (which WOULD be difficult to replace), and imagine any such customized functionality would be implemented with industry-standard programmable chips like microcontrollers or FPGAs (meaning the custom code could be loaded onto a backward-compatible part in the future if needed).

#5 4 years ago

How about the upside.A beautiful clear coat on a beautiful playfield that's not going to look like Orbitor 1 after 100 plays.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from pinfarmer:

What are the downsides to buying a MM remake over an original?

For me, they annoyingly blingy with too many lights and shit pucnhing you in the face. I considerd MB but the lighting it so fucking god awfull it really tuend me off; BUT I have been told you can turn it off. So it's an addition by subtraction, or the other way around?
The bigger screen and higher res animation is super impressive though

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I have been told you can turn it off.

1-13 in the menu. In the CGC menu. Lots of lighting stuff you can play with.

LTG : )

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Page 1-14 has GI lighting you can play with.

#9 4 years ago

Plus the remake comes with unlimited lifetime access to LTG! Win

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Quoted from LTG:

Page 1-14 has GI lighting you can play with.

DSC00085 (resized).JPGDSC00085 (resized).JPGDSC00086 (resized).JPGDSC00086 (resized).JPG
#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Plus the remake comes with unlimited lifetime access to LTG! Win

That's cute. Thank you !

3 weeks later
#12 4 years ago

I agree, the downside are the people who have lost thousands on the originals. The games plays great and based on the way they are wearing in the field, they are extremely solid. My MBr has been all but perfect since I pulled it out of the box.

I can't wait for the next one and am ready to buy. Hopefully its either CC or BBB. To me, they are the best value in NIB pinball games.

#13 4 years ago

Lighting is the main issue for me. These color LED pukeshows on the remakes are hard to look at.

#14 4 years ago

When I first caught wind of MM getting remaid I chuckled at the thought of the "status" machine owners taking it up the ole financial poop chute. I watched the whole MM craze get started on RGP. Look, I would love to see TAF remade ... I own one and I'm fairly certain it would only affect those with a pristine/mint example whereas mine is player condition. It's time players condition machines are priced as such and the remakes I believe are helping this happen. Sure as hell am not going to pay ~$8500 for an original machine when I can buy new and needs nothing for around the same amount.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 45.00
$ 64.99
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remake-downsides and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.