009.JPG
IMG_2517 (resized).JPG
IMG_2516 (resized).JPG
IMG_2518 (resized).JPG
YThf6kl (resized).png
84C9ED79-EC95-4749-9E4A-CD64EF217A22 (resized).jpeg
maxresdefault (resized).jpg
BE57A16A-C913-4939-9BD5-4BE2BB786F62 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gmkalos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 6 years ago

1,000+ plays since clearing the pf and NO DIMPLES, and PZ is airball city! SprayMax2k is my choice of clear coat, it wont dimple from a ball drop up to 6 feet. Secret formula of acrylics and resins. Finding a clear coat system that works for pinball is like being Goldie Lox man and they just haven't found the right bed!

009.JPG009.JPG

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The wooden playfield is what dimples, not the clear coat. What exactly are you getting at anyway? You got me very confused........Maybe im not understanding what you are trying to say or something?

Dude a good clear coat can TOTALLY protect your playfield from almost all dimpling and surface scratches. First off it's the wood and lack of crappy factory clear that's dimpling together creating the craters. In the past acrylic like Polycrylic was too hard for pfs and cracked but now there are a ton of synthetic systems designed for all applications from water tanks to automotive use. Water based acrylics don't yellow over time and when applied liberally to a pf if it gets some surface scratches in the future you can either just buff them out with rubbing compound or sand it down with 2k grit and recoat! I fell like it's been historically, Varnish first used as a clear coat system, then Lacquer, Varathane, and now "Automotive Grade" but with all the different manufactures out there you have to search for one that will work with the high impacts from a pinball. Search for SM2K here on pinside, it's a 2+ year ols thread with nothing but stellar reviews...and nobody complaining of imperfections in the clear after hundreds of plays!

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Sounds like you have the dimpling issues all figured out that playfield manufacturers can't. Maybe you should call them up and offer your services to them. Who knows, it might make you rich.

Seems like they got it covered and the memos went out, so you'll have someone to console you when you call as you look at your $7-10K roached egg crate pf. Darn looks like our little old group of 118 pinsiders participating in this thread will miss out on that wonderful experience. lol

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Just bizarre. If "Automotive Grade" clear coats don't prevent dings on my (metal) car, how could they possibly prevent dimples on my wood PF?
Having owned many old/new machines, I think PF dimpling and CC chipping has gotten worse over the years, but it's always existed.
For the insanely priced "collectors editions" games that sell for 12-13k, it would be interesting to see a PF made of more exotic hardwoods.
Considering all the Pinside dimple hysteria, seems like a business opportunity for JJP/Stern. They could probably name their price!
snaroff

I always thought a metal silk screened pf would be awesome! But remember the green recycled plastic pf from a Speak Easy that's pretty cool!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 21.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gmkalos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remake-attack-from-mars?tu=gmkalos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.