(Topic ID: 265264)

Relocating slingshot posts / factory errors?

By goingincirclez

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200405_190131 (resized).jpg
20200329_184540 (resized).jpg
20200329_184534 (resized).jpg
20200329_184457 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Butterflygirl24.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Been working on a Blackout with the usual issues of dished inserts and I finally noticed something:
[quoted image]
Look at the lowest post (closest to flipper) on the left sling bank... versus the right. They are not similarly symmetrical from left to right.
Even more odd, the alignment of the posts doesn't even line up with the artwork: look how when installed, the rubber is not parallel with the markings on the playfield... again, the lowest post on both banks seems inset too far:
[quoted image]
But even the top posts aren't consistent, either! The right inlane is much wider than the left.
I've quickly looked at other Blackout pf pics online, and there seems to be some variance but in fairness, most have similar discrepancies. But suddenly this bugs me; it seems wierd that the pf art would have been designed in its specific way if the nearby parts weren't supposed to align to match. I mean, they even left a bare wood "impact zone" for the slings... which is totally misaligned now!
But, we know "not everything was perfect, or consistent", when it came to assembling games. So has anyone ever messed with pf post geometry before? How radical are the impacts to gameplay? To my eyes, moving the bottom posts would close the gap between slings and also make the rebound trajectories favor more vertical movement. But would this be a "lot", or a "little"?
Unfortunately, the posts in question are t-nutted so moving them might be easier said than done. If they were screw-in, it would be easy enough to experiment with. But given the ball impacts they should be t-nutted... and I'm worried if I drilled for a t-nut where it seems like it was "supposed" to be, there won't be enough "meat" between holes to keep it securely anchored.
[quoted image]

LOL!! As someone who has done ALOT of older Williams games, I've seen several that are off some like this, never really noticed one that was off quite this much though. I did my own personal Blackout awhile ago and I can't imagine that it was off this much cause my OCD would've required that I "fix" it!! LOL!! In the past the more frequent issue is the lane guides down by the flippers. I know Barracora and Cosmic Gunfight both have this issue down by the lane guides that I've had to fix on several cause it doesn't line up with the flipper and causes a flipper hop that is annoying! In these cases I have elongated the hole somewhat (not enough space to re-drill a new hole) and re-positioned the T-nut underneath and put a screw beside the T-nut to hold it in the proper position. Some cases I've swapped out a wood screw to a T-nut type post to be able to keep it more secure.
You've got me worried now...I traded (still regret it but I wouldn't have my SM otherwise) my original Blackout awhile back that I had restored (leveled inserts and all) but I have another one in storage that I can't get to ATM to check it...but I love me some Blackout so I gotta get it out and get it done at some point to get her back in the line up!!
One thing to remember if you do re-position the posts...you might have to re-position both of them in order to get the plastic to line up properly.

Actually I am with Lloyd on this one!!! You need to call Williams and complain...demand a new PF at once!!! They might want to send you a slot machine instead...but don't go for that!!

PS. I know you said the PF has sunken inserts (which sucks but not a deal breaker!!) but if that's the PF and you haven't done anything to it yet...it seems to be in pretty good shape for an original Blackout!! Enjoy it!!

Phoebe

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Tools
Pincoder Store

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Butterflygirl24.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/relocating-slingshot-posts-factory-errors?tu=Butterflygirl24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.