Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 368 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by kvan99
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which system is more reliable and repair friendly?”

• S.A.M. 176 votes
      90%
    • Spike 20 votes
      10%

(196 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Samiam (resized).jpg
    20170814_094849 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170811_064200610 (resized).jpg
    1389487650-0 (resized).jpg
    SPIKE.jpg
    Wiley E Coyote Tricked.jpg
    download (resized).png
    1141cb3f415534bc4b87b6066071d20ffadc483e (resized).jpg
    pinball-stepper-repair-02 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8109 (resized).JPG
    Stern Wiring Diagram IMG_2198 (resized).jpg
    1268_1289005 (resized).png
    system_drawing_xNodes1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider someoneelse.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#123 6 years ago
    Quoted from megadeth2600:

It seems like Stern is keeping all of the simplifications and cost savings though and not passing that on to the end users be it operators or private home owners.

I guess this the the real problem.

That Stern is changing to SMD and node board systems is not really much of an option for them. Any other production method is getting more and more expensive as it get less common.

New technology is not really meant to be serviceable, and it does not have to be as it's very cheap. Often the devices are even glued shut. My first VCR cost 2500USD back in the day, today you can get a full fledged media box for 200USD and less that has x times the functionality.
    This isn't a problem as if the device breaks within the guarantee time (in Europe 2 years by law), they just replace it. Repairing these things makes no sense as failure rate during this time is rather low and replacement is dirt cheap, especially for the manufacturer.
    If it breaks after the two years most likely there will be even better media boxes with more features and even cheaper than the original was or any repair could ever be.

What Stern is doing is using the advantages this new technology, but not applying the market rules that come with it (cheaper products with each new generation to make serviceability unnecessary).

But you can't really blame Stern. The customers are the ones who make this possible.

Everyone is whining over these things and quality problems and less mechanical features, but whenever a new pinball machine is presented pretty much exactly this happens :

1 month later
    #243 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

To be fully honest, it feels like the money guys want to squeeze as much as they can out of the industry now so that they can cash out.
    SPIKE is ... a sign that cranking profit margins up is priority #1 regardless of end result.

I firmly believe this is the case. But I have to admit I'm not as surprised or bitter about it as others seem to be. Maybe it's because I have to deal with financial investors on a daily basis?

They needed an investor and got one who is not coming from the pinball business. He was hired to make them profitable again and maximize earnings - this is exactly what is happening. The focus shifted from the product to the business model.

The investors success is typically not measured in sustainability but rather in "how much was gained until day X" (which is common in the US, but being German it's still a very strange approach to me). Who knows what the pinball market or general economic situation will look like in 10 years from now, so cash in as much as possible while "the good times last".

It would be interesting to know Gary's future plans. Is he already preparing to sell his company mid term and making it attractive to potential buyers by being able to present huge profit margins? Does he even have to care what happens to his games in 10 years from now?

#291 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Hmmmm...interesting?

Which part?

Spike is the system used in Sterns 2013 "The Pin" models.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider someoneelse.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reliability-sam-vs-spike?tu=someoneelse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.