Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 368 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by kvan99
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which system is more reliable and repair friendly?”

• S.A.M. 176 votes
      90%
    • Spike 20 votes
      10%

(196 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Samiam (resized).jpg
    20170814_094849 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170811_064200610 (resized).jpg
    1389487650-0 (resized).jpg
    SPIKE.jpg
    Wiley E Coyote Tricked.jpg
    download (resized).png
    1141cb3f415534bc4b87b6066071d20ffadc483e (resized).jpg
    pinball-stepper-repair-02 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8109 (resized).JPG
    Stern Wiring Diagram IMG_2198 (resized).jpg
    1268_1289005 (resized).png
    system_drawing_xNodes1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smokedog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#164 6 years ago

What happens when the base Linux OS causes a bug that doesnt get fixed by JJP? Doesn't WoZ and Hobbit suffer a bug when on for extended periods of time? I think I've read that a few operators are having to run older software in order for them to be used on route.

Quoted from merccat:

I don't see JJP's architecture as comparable:
    - Off the shelf CPU board with a linux base OS vs proprietary CPU board with proprietary base OS
    - Traditional single power driver board and power supply board with hole-through compnents vs node board modules with surface mount components.
    In this way JJP's architecture is much more similar to P2K but actually simplified because there is no PRISM boards to worry about.
    The one similarity is the lighting sytem which is a data driven modular design. I actually don't really see any other way to efficiently and cost effeively run RGB lighting if you want to have it, and I think this is one area where it is worth it.
    However still not that similar because while an issue here will impact lights it won't take down the entire game. Also they have since addressed the issues caused by a serial chain by moving to a parallel system with a hub so if a light board goes out only the one light board is impacted. If nodes were architectured more in this manner I actually would be a little less concerned.

#169 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bendit:

Has there been a real-world documented case of this?
    Linux is known for its generic drivers that work on pretty much anything.

Yes, several operators are having to revert to WoZ 5.x in order to have their games on route. The loud popping from the speakers is pretty common i believe.

The auto reboot isn't great because the issue crops up after roughly 6 or 7 hours of operation.

#171 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bendit:

So there you have it guys. Awesome discussion. I suspect the issues listed above are from the JJP software that runs on top of Linux. So in 10 years, if nothing changes in the JJP software, you'd still have that sound popping. If reverting to software 5.x in WOZ fixes the problem, it's software-related, not hardware.
    This thread seems to be about hardware sustainability. But since we're talking about JJP hardware, I guess we're off topic...

Well, I thought it had something to do with a driver change. I didn't read to closely, as I ditched the WoZ I had on route because ... wait for it .... hardware issues. I was one of the fine folk that had those perfectly engineered original light boards. Turned me off JJP in a big way.

I'm hoping to get some hands on time with Dialed In, but if these other issues with older games not getting fixed, makes me hesitant to route anything from the company.

#174 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bendit:

Yes, but the first version of WOZ was 4 years ago?
    JJP has been shipping items (for free) to make The Hobbit a sturdier game. I have yet to install my beast mech ball protectors, or the stronger drop target springs (even though my wife fixed one yesterday). I fix 'em as they fail (home use). Point is, they stand behind their hardware, no?
    (I was not involved with the first release of WOZ so forgive my ignorance)

I was sent light boards one at a time. Then had to send the old ones back. After doing this several times, incurring the shipping costs to NJ every time, and having a paper weight on route not earning, and my gas, labour and time, it wasn't worth it. They refused to send a complete set of light boards so I could make one trip and have one shipping cost.

Sold the pin, replaced it with another pin from a different company that is still out and earning today.

3 weeks later
    #215 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

That's actually why I sold my GBLE. I love the game, but I want to be sure that it's not going to be a massively huge money sink. I had quite a few maintenance problems with it, and I just got scared off. I'll pick up a premium down the road if all is well, but I didn't want to roll the dice on Stern's ability to support the node board revision long term. Also, there are bugs they absolutely need to address in that game. It's unfinished at the code level.

Replace WoZ with GB in your statement and it's pretty much exactly why I got rid of the WoZ LE I had.

I've only had two node board issues so far with my Sterns (one GB, one GoT). *knocks on wood* Replacements came in two days direct from Stern, so down time was minimal.

#220 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

The major difference is that JJP is working to increase the reliability of their games while Stern is working to make them more difficult to maintain and less reliable.

Increasing reliability, like having to reboot the game if left on longer than 6 hours?

Here's an honest question ... Do you think Stern really wants to make their games less reliable and more difficult to maintain, thereby alienating the entire Operator market and a large chunk of the home market, and in turn, possibly folding up shop because they no longer sell games? You honestly think that's their game plan with Spike?

#224 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Whatever their intention,

You avoided answering my question.

#229 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

More likely unintended consequences of reducing costs.

That's what I believe as well. With any major infrastructure change in the pinball industry, comes growing pains. Pretty sure every manufacturer, ever, has gone through it.

And I'm sure every operator back in the day cursed every time it happened. "Solid state, wtf is this? What's wrong with EM's? They are just trying to save money, this sucks."

#230 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Do I think they want to make them harder to repair and maintain? Yes.

That was half the question. Here's the other half in case you stopped reading ...

Quoted from smokedog:

thereby alienating the entire Operator market and a large chunk of the home market, and in turn, possibly folding up shop because they no longer sell games? You honestly think that's their game plan with Spike?

#233 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

I do believe in the talents of the pinball community and expect someone will eventually figure out how to repair or replace the node boards to keep the games operational if Stern no longer supports them. in the mean time though, you may be paying $300/board if it's out of warranty or you're not the original buyer (at Stern's discretion).

Bingo. Just like every time a major change has happened.

Though I have not heard of any node boards failing out of warranty yet. I haven't had to pay for any.

I certainly had to pay shipping costs to send back dead boards to a certain manufacturer every time. $30 bucks each time.

#234 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Anybody who says that SPIKE is a step forward is either ignorant or lying. Objectively it's problematic.

Doesn't it seem that all manufacturers games now have components that are not user/operator serviceable?

I haven't had a chance to peek under a Dialed In, but is every board under the hood able to be repaired with a $2 transistor?

#237 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

But 10 years from now, I don't want to be trying to find and scrounge node boards to keep it alive.

This could apply to any of the current manufacturers, couldn't it? Don't they all have some form of proprietary board in them?

#238 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

It's more prone to failure than any other Stern system that came before it. That's the real kicker. If something is very reliable, then we don't have to worry so much about how easy it is to service.

Do you think Stern will say 'Good enough' and not try and make it more reliable?

In my experience so far, the Stern Spike's I have operated have been very reliable, running 14 plus hours a day with hundreds of plays a week. MMr has been rock solid as well.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smokedog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reliability-sam-vs-spike?tu=smokedog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.