Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 368 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by kvan99
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which system is more reliable and repair friendly?”

• S.A.M. 176 votes
      90%
    • Spike 20 votes
      10%

(196 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Samiam (resized).jpg
    20170814_094849 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170811_064200610 (resized).jpg
    1389487650-0 (resized).jpg
    SPIKE.jpg
    Wiley E Coyote Tricked.jpg
    download (resized).png
    1141cb3f415534bc4b87b6066071d20ffadc483e (resized).jpg
    pinball-stepper-repair-02 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8109 (resized).JPG
    Stern Wiring Diagram IMG_2198 (resized).jpg
    1268_1289005 (resized).png
    system_drawing_xNodes1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I currently own 5 SAM games and have previously owned 13 others and never had a single problem with the main boards. I helped a friend fix a bad transistor on a Tron, and it was fine after that. I had a lot of problems with X-Men LE, but that was due to the Aux boards....most SAM games didn't have those.

I think this question is more for 10-15 years down the road, when we have to fix stuff for ourselves and replacement boards are not available. that's what I think about down the road. I don't even remember if there is schematics with my spike games.

#35 6 years ago

schematics should be available now. When you bought a machine, you got the schematics for it, so ops could work on it. That's not the case with the new sterns? I never opened a manual for spike so I don't know.

#53 6 years ago

that's the whole thing. If ops have to pay $300 to fix a game instead of a standard $2 transistor, where they could fix it on location, that's going to be a heavy hit. OPs like games they can service. Components most have on hand. Stockpiling $300 boards isn't as feasible.

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

They don't expect anyone would attempt to stockpile $300 boards. You're thinking like this is 20+ years ago when on location was the primary customer. The home use consumer is king now.

that's true, but these are still mainly operated items. If they weren't, they would start putting blank coin doors on, and only add coin doors for the ones going to ops. Because a blank is considerably cheaper than a full mech and lit door.

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from frunch:

In the past, weren't pinball machines considered throw-away? You'd make your $ and off them, then they would go to the dump to be replaced by the next batch.
    If anything, it seems that philosophy has endured, and now the technology can deliver just that--disposable pinball machines. Notice the cheaper, lighter cabinet construction? The lower-quality playfields/clearcoating, the proprietary circuitry...these are all the steps they've likely wanted to take all along, but now they have the both the technology and cheap labor to realize it.

no, they were all ment to be serviceable until there was no ink left on the playfield.

3 weeks later
    #129 6 years ago

The problem is, that many on here have short attention spans, and don't keep a game over 6 months anyway. And most don't know how to do any work on them either. So serviceability is farthest thing from their mind. Just throw money at something different, but new enough that they don't think they will have to fix anything. 2-6 months later, it will be sold and they will go to the next thing that is hyped up.

But anyone that has been a collector for a long time, and fixes their own games, know that these new games are going to be a problem 5 + years down the road. When Stern is off to a new system, or shot themselves in the foot so much that they are no longer in business. Now we sit with no replacement boards and can't fix the ones we have. Plus the documentation we have available is piss poor to say the least. At least up until Spike, pinball tried to be serviceable. It's not a disposable item. You got documentation to service it, and the components were workable. If you needed parts, the company had game specific parts available for a time for things like ramps and plastics.

I love my ghostbusters, but at the same time, I always think about selling it, because it doesn't look like it has a long term lifespan. If it's not fixable 10-20 years from now, I don't think I want it in my collection. And I won't be buying anymore Spike system games.

1 week later
    #144 6 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

Next thing you know... you're going down to the Toyota dealership to get a new latch for your center console but is it available? Heck no... you HAVE to buy the entire console for $1,500 bucks... scew them, I bungie corded it and will never buy a from them again.

This is exactly the kind of shit that will end up destroying a company. Mitsubishi did this with their manual transmissions in the VR4's. Instead of making them serviceable. if something goes wrong, the entire tranny had to be replaced. People were pissed.

3 weeks later
    #236 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

That's actually why I sold my GBLE. I love the game, but I want to be sure that it's not going to be a massively huge money sink. I had quite a few maintenance problems with it, and I just got scared off. I'll pick up a premium down the road if all is well, but I didn't want to roll the dice on Stern's ability to support the node board revision long term. Also, there are bugs they absolutely need to address in that game. It's unfinished at the code level.

i'm on the fence about selling my GB as well because of this very thing. The game is awesome. I love it. But 10 years from now, I don't want to be trying to find and scrounge node boards to keep it alive.

#240 6 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

This could apply to any of the current manufacturers, couldn't it? Don't they all have some form of proprietary board in them?

i'm not sure, but it's always a main concern with me with buying any new game. For the people here that swap games out every 3 months and never fix anything, they don't care about what the system is made out of. even if it was electronics printed on a piece of cardboard, as long as it didnt' have any ghosting or the playfield didnt' get a dimple, they would be happy. :/

It comes down to, if you don't care about issues like this, you are not planning on being in the hobby very long.

#244 6 years ago
    Quoted from someoneelse:

I firmly believe this is the case. But I have to admit I'm not that surprised or bitter about it as others seem to be. Maybe it's because I have to deal with financial investors on a daily basis?
    They needed an investor and got one who is not coming from the pinball business. He was hired to make them profitable again and maximize earnings - this is exactly what is happening. The focus shifted from the product to the business model.
    The investors success is typically not measured in sustainability but rather in "how much was gained until day X" (which is common in the US, but being German it's still a very strange approach to me). Who knows what the pinball market or general economic situation will look like in 10 years from now, so cash in as much as possible while "the good times last".
    It would be interesting to know Gary's future plans. Is he already preparing to sell his company mid term and making it attractive to potential buyers by being able to present huge profit margins? Does he even have to care what happens to his games in 10 years from now?

the problem is, Gary has said he loves pinball, and everything about it. Investors or not. if he truly loved pinball. Making a game serviceable would be a main concern for him, and not an area to cut costs. If you are going to cut as many corners as Stern has been lately, at least share some of the cost cutting with the customers and make the games a little cheaper each release. Instead it goes up..not a little, but a TON every release.

#250 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spelunk71:

Maybe I'm naïve, but I'm assuming that even if Stern discontinues the boards for older Spike games, they would at least license someone else to make them (or maybe they could be reverse-engineered?) rather than turn these games into massive paper weights. If it comes to that, keeping the games operable would obviously be expensive, but at least we could keep them alive.

You know, having stern make their own games obsolete in 10 years isnt' that far fetched. What better way to get someone to buy a new game, than to have one that you can't get going again. Bally/Williams has stated before that Diamond plate can be contributed to ruining their own market, as it was making games last way longer than they wanted. They wanted you to route a game for 5-8 years, hopefully it looks like such shit by that point, that you buy their newer model.

#262 6 years ago

except the node boards are different for different types of games. Which makes it very difficult to keep extras on hand.

#281 6 years ago

reliable or not. Shit will break down the road. The farther down the road the more difficult it's going to be to fix and replace stuff. The point is, they are making stuff very very difficult to fix.

#295 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I replace SMT LEDs at work all the time....so what's your point?

if they are so maintenance free. Why are there so many there? LIES....all lies. The proof is in the palm of your hand. Dependable my ass.

#323 6 years ago

there is no reason we shouldn't have schematics for every game we own. If not, then you are a shitty business with shitty business practices. And nobody should be buying your product anymore.

#330 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Welcome to the new world. Do you get schematics with every other electronics products you own? How about your computer or your television? Don't buy a Blackstar guitar amplifier if you want to repair it yourself, BS will not answer any questions and they will not issue schematics.
    You don't get owners manuals with most modern products, either. You download them, sometimes for free, sometimes paid - if they are made available at all.
    Sure, the argument could be made that they are commercial products, but since now the focus is consumer markets it would appear they are adopting many of the consumer market philosophies regarding repair support.

these are commercial grade machines, ment to be serviceable by operators. Not some disposable DVD player or other cheap system.

#333 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Oh, and if you are an operator and think you will require a schematic and can't get one, then vote with your wallet and don't buy it.

I am. I will not buy another stern until they make the boards serviceable and provide the documents you need to keep it maintained.

4 weeks later
    #337 6 years ago
    Quoted from StylesBitchly:

I know this sucks, but you guys should think about buying some of these node boards now while you can. Hell, you could always sell them as N.O.S. down the road.

i shouldn't have to stock up on $300 node boards...and not just one type, at least 3 different types. So say you need 3 of each on hand for the distant future. That's 9 boards minimum. And that's if they don't change it again through another release. So I have to have $2700 in boards sitting around, instead of piles of .01 cent diodes, $2 chips, and .05 transistors? Screw that and screw stern for fawking over the guys that like to service their games instead of making them disposable!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reliability-sam-vs-spike?tu=captainneo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.